Ouch! Speciality Restaurant prices released Ovation Jan 2003 out of Aust

Ouch! Looks like Royal is quickly pricing themselves out of the NZ/Aust market. The prices of speciality restaurants have been released for our Jan 24th 2023 cruise out of Sydney and they are e watering.

All the prices below are with a 15% discount 

• Chops NZ$102pp (US$66)
  • Jamies NZ$$79pp (US$51) 
  • Wonderland NZ$94pp (US$62)
  • Izumi NZ$55pp (US$36)

To give you a comparison I'd expect to pay no more than $75 for 3 course meal at a really good steak house in NZ (with most being closure to $60.. and we do steak really well). Italian is probably going to be closure to $45 and fantastic Sushi $20-$30. It's worth noting this the premium on top of what you've already paid for meals as part of your fare (I don't think you can compare Wonderland as it is more an experaince than a meal).

I'm really hoping these are just 'get it on the website' prices as these are ridiculous. The same massive price increases have also been seen in their drink packages out of Australia.

We are in the same boat. Unless the Dinning package is about 1/3 that per meal we will be enjoying the MDR. In all but one cruise we've done we've had the Ultimate Dinning Package but at these prices it'll be MDR every night.

At the prices for the Drinks and Dining package I really think they have misjudged the Australia/New Zealand market. I have been telling myself these are simply 'put them on the site' prices and they would come down to reasonable prices sometime soon.... now I beginning to think these are the actual prices in which case I think they are going to issues in what is a price conscious market in Australasia. I am sure the RCCL has systems in place to track purchases through the planner and if they see they aren’t making the sales they are expecting will reprice (If not I imagine there will be a lot of onboard sales as the Food and Beverage staff are trying to increase revenue).

If I was a new cruiser taking my first cruise from NZ/Aust and saw these prices it would be our last (Ironically the cruise price itself was really reasonable).

It's no better in the US market !  For the past 8 years or so we have always purchased both the UDP and the DBP but they have priced me out for 2023 and 2024 cruises.  I normally purchase both the UDP and DBP at the time of booking (if those are available...sometimes they aren't available yet) and I have -0- packages purchased for 2023 or 2024.

I think they will price themselves out eventually, but I am always doing the math when it comes to value. I know food cost has gone up; I can be a little understanding. With the current "sale" I just paid $250 for the UDP on my Jan 2023 Oasis sailing. It is currently my cut off rate for a 7n dining package on an Oasis class ship with lots of specialty dining options. If I am sailing quantum class or lower, I can't justify more than $185 with grats. I too notice that the prices for a la carte dining have dramatically increased. Chops on that sailing is $68 with a so-called discount!

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Chops on that sailing is $68 with a so-called discount!

Which puts the price given by the OP as comparable to the current US prices.  The problem is that inflation coupled with US stock market losses are going to make it a lot more expensive to vacation in the future.  I just don't see the prices coming down as long as the fill ships, and that seems to be happening still, so far.  I have repriced all of my currently booked cruises and not a single one has had a price drop and some have gone up quite a bit.

I have airline tickets purchased for Sep, Nov and Feb 2023 and they have either doubled or more in price since I purchased them, but then so has Gas in the last 3 months.

12 hours ago, RWDW1204 said:

Maybe RC is thinking the Australian market has been deprived of cruising for so long that you're willing to pay anything for everything and just be happy to be back on a ship. 

I think they might be in trouble.... Kiwis and Aussies are pretty price conscious on the whole due to the bargains for holiday travel we have on our door steps (Pacific Islands, South East Aisa… our own countries etc.

In the US there are a lot of new to Royal or new to cruise booking right now.  It seems they don't know any better so they are paying our crazy specialty dining prices up here.  Royal. as a business, will gladly raise prices if people are still willing to pay it and it seems they are.  I'm not, but that's me. 

I hope you folks down under don't have the same problem.  

32 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I would imagine due to its relative isolation that supply chain issues in Australia are worse than in the USA

I can’t speak for Aust, but imagine it is similar, but for most things there’s is not too many issues  especially for food and beverage so there should not be an impact on their availability. Believe me, if Australia or New Zealand ran out of beer there would be riots….

It gets more interesting

The price for the Deluxe Dinning Package came out and I am now more certain RCCL has placed placeholder figure (Ok... 'hopeful' they are placeholder)

The Unlimited Dinning Package is NZ $432pp (US$280). This is for a 11 night cruise. Granted this is with 60% prepurchase discount but that is not unusual)

When they are selling Chops at $102 ($66 US)  a night after 4 nights of the 11 night cruise you eat free. $432 for 11 nights is $39 ($US 25) a meal (not including lunches which would drive it down further (with 5 sea days I imagine we'll have at least a few speciality lunches). 

At the moment the drinks package is on sale at $113.31 per day. For my 10 day cruise, I'm looking at $1133 solely dedicated to drinks, which is more than half of what I paid for the whole cruise. You would need to drink at least seven drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) per day, which is outrageous. Unless you are going to be drinking several specialty coffees, bottles and bottles of water, special juices, and at least four alcoholic drinks per day, it doesn't make any financial sense. 

12 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

I can’t speak for Aust, but imagine it is similar, but for most things there’s is not too many issues  especially for food and beverage so there should not be an impact on their availability. Believe me, if Australia or New Zealand ran out of beer there would be riots….

Saw a blackboard menu outside the Whalebone Brewery in Exmouth. It said Soup of the Day - Beer.

25 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

EmersonNZ now I get it. Family owned?

No relation. It's actually the owners last name (Richard Emerson who was actually born deaf) while Emerson is my first. I do think I should get some naming rights though... say free product 🙂. Happy to have my name assocated with such great beers though...

I think in this case @SpeedNoodles the best decision is NOT to buy ala carte. If 1 speciality meal is $102 and Ultimate Dinning Package is $432 or 11 nights unless you REALLY want to do a speciality restaurant and can not afford the $432. (And even then consider a good steak house on land in NZ/Aust would cost you about $60-$70 I’d suggest you trat yourself a post or pre-cruise meal instead.

The Dinning package at $432 for 11 nights really good value…. $102 for 1 meal at Chops is ridiculous and surely has to be a mistake(Especially as this is on top of the cruise fare which includes dining).