The Key - Carry On Question

Aloha All,

We have a 1030 check in time for wellness check, aprox what time will we be able to board it says when we purchased the KEY  ( Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm. ) I know people have said to take a carry on with a change of clothes bathing suits etc so you may start to enjoy the ships activities right away, so will we have access to our room to change once on-board, and our checked bags may not arrive until much later.

Mahalo / Dave & Lamyai

SOS May 28th 2022 4 more days.............................

One of the Key benefits is being able to drop off your carry ons, backpacks, jackets etc, with the crew and they have them sent right to your cabin. This way you don’t have to carry them around with you until your room is ready. You can then go enjoy the Key lunch.
Your cabin will most likely not be accessible until later, at the same time everyone else’s cabins are ready. The Key doesn’t give priority accessibility to your cabin. So if you want to change and use the pool while waiting for your room, you’ll have to use a restroom.

Yes, we drop off our heavier carry-ons at the Key check-in table (usually in front of the MDR) as soon as we board the ship. We then use a smaller/lighter bag (sling bag in my case) so we have any items we may need before we can access the cabin. The carry-ons are tagged and will be delivered to your cabin and will not be accessible until the cabin is ready.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why, if carry-on dropoff is a benefit of Key, that people don't just check it before they get on the ship?  I guess I'm not understanding why carry it on at all if the intention is to just surrender it after the walk onto the ship.  I know I must be missing something.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

1 hour ago, Xaa said:

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why, if carry-on dropoff is a benefit of Key, that people don't just check it before they get on the ship?  I guess I'm not understanding why carry it on at all if the intention is to just surrender it after the walk onto the ship.  I know I must be missing something.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Whatever you check in with The Key will be taken directly to  your room.  It will be in your room when rooms open.  You may not get your checked luggage for  hours.  So if you have things you want to have right away (change of clothes, wine/champagne, soda or water) that you can't/don't want to wait to get, but don't want to haul around for a few hours, it's super handy.  

Ah, I see.  The Carry-On, I'll have access to again as soon as the room is available on the checked maybe not for several hours.  I'm reading rooms generally available 1-1:30, when is normal for checked bags?

Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, Xaa said:

Ah, I see.  The Carry-On, I'll have access to again as soon as the room is available on the checked maybe not for several hours.  I'm reading rooms generally available 1-1:30, when is normal for checked bags?

Thanks for your help!

Well rooms are actually 1:30-2pm.

As far as when you might get your bags. It depends on the ship, bag drop-off time and capacity. I once didn't get my bag until after 7pm (we were the last to board), but usually it will be between 3-5pm. I also can't confirm or deny that what you tip the porters might also affect the bag delivery time. 

18 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Well rooms are actually 1:30-2pm.

As far as when you might get your bags. It depends on the ship, bag drop-off time and capacity. I once didn't get my bag until after 7pm (we were the last to board), but usually it will be between 3-5pm. I also can't confirm or deny that what you tip the porters might also affect the bag delivery time. 

🙂  We always try to be generous with Porters and Valets.  You've given them your stuff after all.

Appreciate all the help.  Thanks!