Halifax hop on/hop off bus

RCIfan1912

We are finally taking our first cruise out of this awful pandemic in late July. Short cruise to Halifax. Anyway we like the hop on/hop off bus. Question is we are only going to hop off on 3 stops, Maritime museum, Halifax public gardens, and Titanic cemetery. I read the Maritime museum is in walking distance as is the Halifax public gardens, but the Titanic cemetery is too far to walk. Could we just walk to the museum and Gardens and then get a ride to the cemetery? We will have a 7 month old with us too. Its also probably cheaper to book this outside of Royal Caribbean?  

39 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We are finally taking our first cruise out of this awful pandemic in late July. Short cruise to Halifax. Anyway we like the hop on/hop off bus. Question is we are only going to hop off on 3 stops, Maritime museum, Halifax public gardens, and Titanic cemetery. I read the Maritime museum is in walking distance as is the Halifax public gardens, but the Titanic cemetery is too far to walk. Could we just walk to the museum and Gardens and then get a ride to the cemetery? We will have a 7 month old with us too. Its also probably cheaper to book this outside of Royal Caribbean?  

I'll be in Halifax on a different cruise, this summer, and I can't imagine a cab (or similar) to the Titanic grave site costing as much as two adults for the Hop On/Hop Off bus. My take on the Titanic gravesite is less that it's too far to walk, about 8 miles roundtrip, so much as there's a limited amount of time in port, and do you really want to spend it walking through the city when there's other things to experience?

Take a look at Google Maps (or similar) for the attraction locations in Halifax if you haven't already. The Immigration museum at Pier 21, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, the Citadel, and the Public Gardens (not to mention a smattering of other historical sites and museums) are all easily walkable from the Pier. Though I also won't have along a 7 month old either.

We have happily ridden the Halifax Hop-On Hop-Off bus.  The beauty of any HOHO bus is that it gives you an overview, or "lay of the land".  Depending on time available, our normal approach to any HOHO bus is to ride around a complete loop while watching and listening to the commentary.  On a second time around, we are able to get off at stops of our choice, and able to judge our time.  Plus, we are able to take photos throughout the city.  As mentioned above by RCIfan1912, Halifax is full of great sights and attractions!

10 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

We have happily ridden the Halifax Hop-On Hop-Off bus.  The beauty of any HOHO bus is that it gives you an overview, or "lay of the land".  Depending on time available, our normal approach to any HOHO bus is to ride around a complete loop while watching and listening to the commentary.  On a second time around, we are able to get off at stops of our choice, and able to judge our time.  Plus, we are able to take photos throughout the city.  As mentioned above by RCIfan1912, Halifax is full of great sights and attractions!

19 minutes ago, Rackham said:

I'll be in Halifax on a different cruise, this summer, and I can't imagine a cab (or similar) to the Titanic grave site costing as much as two adults for the Hop On/Hop Off bus. My take on the Titanic gravesite is less that it's too far to walk, about 8 miles roundtrip, so much as there's a limited amount of time in port, and do you really want to spend it walking through the city when there's other things to experience?

Take a look at Google Maps (or similar) for the attraction locations in Halifax if you haven't already. The Immigration museum at Pier 21, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, the Citadel, and the Public Gardens (not to mention a smattering of other historical sites and museums) are all easily walkable from the Pier. Though I also won't have along a 7 month old either.

Thank you guys very much and there is something duh I hadn't thought of, and it's the commentary at each stop that gives you interesting facts and history. We do love that kinda stuff. The bus is regular size and easy for a 7 month old fit in? He's a great baby, this kid doesn't cry much. Our 8 year old when he was a baby was the complete opposite, just cried a lot. This baby boy not so much. 

We are huge Titanic buffs so that's why the Titanic tie in with this trip. We have been to the cemetery twice and we don't see us not going when in Halifax. Thanks again for the input. 

On 5/23/2022 at 7:37 AM, RCIfan1912 said:

Its also probably cheaper to book this outside of Royal Caribbean?  

Interestingly enough, I am having a hard time finding concrete pricing for a Hop on / Hop off ticket outside of booking it as a shore excursion.  It appears its operated by Grayline, but I can't book on their website.  I get this error:

image.png.63d39a9abbcf3e4642268ffb1e28dc1e.png

but ... there's nowhere to input the date!  bizarre.

I then went to viator.com which is a sub-set of Tripadvisor.  lots of good information and reviews on the bus HERE , but again, the website says "this experience isn't bookable for now."  Hmmm.  

Check the cruise planner today, as there is a Memorial Day sale going on.

We are on the 6/14 sailing on Adventure.  We wanted to go to Peggy's Cove and there were a few options to do that, one being a Peggy's Cove + Titanic Cemetery (Fairview Lawn) combo for $53 pp.  There was also a Peggy's Cove + Hop on / Hop off bus combo for $69 pp.  As you alluded, the HoHo includes a stop at Fairview Lawn which is on the outskirts.  I was weighing the extra $16 per person for that shore excursion knowing we would have the balance of the day to use the HoHo as we pleased once back from Peggy's Cove, including to get to Fairview Lawn.  However, we decided that we'll probably get enough commentary on the ride out to Peggy's Cove, and since the downtown sights are close together, we can do those on foot.  We ended up booking the Peggy's Cove / Titanic Cemetery combo for $53 instead.  I'll put the $16 we are saving towards booze, or Ubers from the Newark airport 😆

The current HoHo pass on the cruise planner is showing $40 which is 15% off the normal $49 price.  That still seems steep to me, as Halifax isn't that big.  But you do have unfettered use of it for the entire day.  I'd wager you can get your own transport out to Fairview Lawn for less than $80 and do the downtown stuff on your own, but there's the kiddie factor too.  

sorry for the long post! 

On 5/23/2022 at 7:27 AM, Allen2 said:

In cities that have a HOHO company(ies), that's exactly what we do.  It saves time and visiting places that aren't what you hoped it/they would be.  Love the HOHO in St. Augustine, FL

4 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

Interestingly enough, I am having a hard time finding concrete pricing for a Hop on / Hop off ticket outside of booking it as a shore excursion.  It appears its operated by Grayline, but I can't book on their website.  I get this error:

image.png.63d39a9abbcf3e4642268ffb1e28dc1e.png

but ... there's nowhere to input the date!  bizarre.

I then went to viator.com which is a sub-set of Tripadvisor.  lots of good information and reviews on the bus HERE , but again, the website says "this experience isn't bookable for now."  Hmmm.  

Check the cruise planner today, as there is a Memorial Day sale going on.

We are on the 6/14 sailing on Adventure.  We wanted to go to Peggy's Cove and there were a few options to do that, one being a Peggy's Cove + Titanic Cemetery (Fairview Lawn) combo for $53 pp.  There was also a Peggy's Cove + Hop on / Hop off bus combo for $69 pp.  As you alluded, the HoHo includes a stop at Fairview Lawn which is on the outskirts.  I was weighing the extra $16 per person for that shore excursion knowing we would have the balance of the day to use the HoHo as we pleased once back from Peggy's Cove, including to get to Fairview Lawn.  However, we decided that we'll probably get enough commentary on the ride out to Peggy's Cove, and since the downtown sights are close together, we can do those on foot.  We ended up booking the Peggy's Cove / Titanic Cemetery combo for $53 instead.  I'll put the $16 we are saving towards booze, or Ubers from the Newark airport 😆

The current HoHo pass on the cruise planner is showing $40 which is 15% off the normal $49 price.  That still seems steep to me, as Halifax isn't that big.  But you do have unfettered use of it for the entire day.  I'd wager you can get your own transport out to Fairview Lawn for less than $80 and do the downtown stuff on your own, but there's the kiddie factor too.  

sorry for the long post! 

Oh my god I'm so glad you posted this! I was like going nuts because I went over this page a million times looking for a way to select "when I want to go". There is no way to choose a date. I've had everything loaded into my cart and haven't noticed a price change. Do I have to delete everything a reload to see a diff in price or should it reflect the new prices in the cart? 

18 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh my god I'm so glad you posted this! I was like going nuts because I went over this page a million times looking for a way to select "when I want to go". There is no way to choose a date. I've had everything loaded into my cart and haven't noticed a price change. Do I have to delete everything a reload to see a diff in price or should it reflect the new prices in the cart? 

I was in a site, just a few minutes ago, that is like a "Priceline" thing.  It shows that the HOPO tour(s) aren't available at this time.  I'm wondering if it is a Canadian Government COVID thing.