What can a nearly 12 year old do?

Hey all! We leave on Symphony two weeks from tomorrow (Woot!), and my daughter will turn 12 less than two weeks after the crusie. I'm aware that the cut off on Royal for several "teen" activities is 12, so I'm wondering if there is wiggle room. My daughter absolutely meshes better with kids 12-15ish more than 11 and under. 

Does anyone have any experience with trying to get a kid in a similar situation into some of the older activities? Is it even worth trying? Thanks! 

My soon to be 12 yr old (who has been cruising since she was 8 enjoys the following.......in no particular order

- swimming
- hot tubs
- Karaoke
- Trivia
- Every show, every night
- Frequent trips for hot chocolate
- Bingo
- Rock wall

All of which have absolutely nothing to do with the kids/teen club because neither of kids like that....we tried once and they said "it feels like we are in daycare" and I didn't want to do that to them on their vacation since at the time they were in daycare 5 days a week after school and on days off from school

At the very least I would hope that all 12 year old girls onboard learn that they don't need to ask the ice cream man for an extra big cone but rather all they need to do is smile.

And if they wouldn't press every damn button in the elevator, that would be great too.

11 hours ago, BigMac3001 said:

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Better put on my nice face. 

Just be aware that this group is largely unsupervised.  They are allowed to come and go from the teen area as they please.  There are scheduled activities, but the kids are not required to attend.  They often hang out and find things to do around the ship outside of the organized stuff.  

I trust my son not to get into (too much) trouble, but some parents are not comfortable with this set up. He is 16 now and we are about to go on his 4th cruise as a teen.  He has always found a group to spend the week with and has always had a great time.

You know your daughter best, so you are the best one to decide where she belongs.

I recommend getting the Zoom internet and using a web-based texting app to keep in touch with her.  Set some meet up times, etc.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:06 AM, BigMac3001 said:

Thanks. I'm the exact opposite of a helicopter parent. I trust my kid. 

There is also the question of do you want your 11 year old daughter hanging out with 17 year old boys? Much of the time unsupervised. With kids you have never met before. 

11 hours ago, Cello56 said:

There is also the question of do you want your 11 year old daughter hanging out with 17 year old boys? Much of the time unsupervised. With kids you have never met before. 

It seems there is a younger group versus an older group for most activities, so she wouldn't be with a 17 year old anyway, but thanks for your concern. 

29 minutes ago, BigMac3001 said:

It seems there is a younger group versus an older group for most activities, so she wouldn't be with a 17 year old anyway, but thanks for your concern. 

She should plan to be at the meet and greet that typically happens on the 1st night at 7 or 8pm.  This is often where kids will form groups.  There will be plenty of kids in her age range.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, BigMac3001 said:

Actually, they combine the two teen age groups much of the time. The teen club is more of a meet up place and has minimal supervision. 

Well, let's see:

1.   Knock on cabin doors and run like hell (I used to do that in hotels when I was a kid)

2.  Pull fire alarms

3.  Make prank phone calls

4.  Run around the dining room and run into people, servers and serving carts creating a mess

5.  Pushing all the buttons on the elevators

6.  Ordering Room Service to be delivered to other rooms (not smart these days)

7.  Jump out from behind things and scare people

8.  Play games in the stairwell lobbies.

9.  Throwing up anywhere/everywhere

10. Yelling and screaming anywhere/everywhere

11. Much more

<This is intended to be a little humorous, not an indictment> 

What can a senior citizen do?

Well, let's see:

1. Take up all the seating for dinner between 4pm and 5:30 for the early bird special.

2. Complain it's too cold, hot, and then cold again all over the ship.

3. Complain the shows are too loud

4. Complain cruising isn't the same as it was in the 1970s

5. Complain there are no mints on the pillows anymore

6. Get inebriated and annoy people around them

7. Wear far too much perfume.

8. Sneak in cigarette smoking where it's not allowed (balcony, outside decks in non-designated areas)

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well, let's see:

1. Take up all the seating for dinner between 4pm and 5:30 for the early bird special.

8. Sneak in cigarette smoking where it's not allowed (balcony, outside decks in non-designated areas)

Really Matt!?  I resemble some of that.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Well, let's see:

Now that there is funny.  Glad I don't do any of those even though I'm 70+.  I do believe, however, that #6 is more appropriate for the 20 - 30 somethings!

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

I did. Just evening out the universe 😜

I guess criticizing an intended humorous comment and humorous person is considered "evening out the universe", now.  I see!  Sorry if you took my comment/humor as a "stereotype".  I took your post purely as humor and said so.  But, then the criticism as a "stereotype".  But, you are the administrator of this site and you are the boss, here.  

Well now, since we're no longer being excellent to one another, I'll add my 2-cents...

What Can a Nearly 12-Year Old Do?

They can do what most other 11 year olds can do.🙃

Screenshot-2022-05-26-at-11-53-32-What-c

What Can a Travel Agent Do?

Gladly take the money from seniors, really wishing he didn't have to waste his time with them.😉

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Well, let's see:

you-sir-just-won-the-internet.jpg

17 hours ago, 10-42 said:

Well, let's see:

1.   Knock on cabin doors and run like hell (I used to do that in hotels when I was a kid)

2.  Pull fire alarms

3.  Make prank phone calls

4.  Run around the dining room and run into people, servers and serving carts creating a mess

5.  Pushing all the buttons on the elevators

6.  Ordering Room Service to be delivered to other rooms (not smart these days)

7.  Jump out from behind things and scare people

8.  Play games in the stairwell lobbies.

9.  Throwing up anywhere/everywhere

10. Yelling and screaming anywhere/everywhere

11. Much more

<This is intended to be a little humorous, not an indictment> 

You obviously have never met my child. You see, she has a parent who actually taught her how not to be a brat. 

57 minutes ago, BigMac3001 said:

You obviously have never met my child. You see, she has a parent who actually taught her how not to be a brat. 

And I applaud you for that.  A parent that actually parents their child(ren).  

But, please keep in mind that my post was for the purpose and purely for the purpose of "humor" and, as stated, not an indictment of any particular child or parent!

• 2 weeks later...

This was the exact post I needed! My girls are 13 and 11, but the 11 y.o. will be 12 a couple of weeks after we sail and I can't imagine her in the younger kids club or without her sister! She also looks older than my actual teen and is taller than me. 🙂 I will be extra nice and ask if she can play with the big kids. 🙂 

Thanks for this post! It made me feel a little bit better that they might be flexible.