Final weeks Before Cruising--I've Now Become Numb

Only 3 weeks left to Alaska.  We have done so much planning and prep since January and now have become pretty apathetic in the last few days.

Perhaps it is all of the negative comments from Facebook Groups regarding staffing issues?

Perhaps it is just because there is nothing more for us to do in terms of planning?  

Perhaps counting down the first 140 days took its toll?

Has this happened to anyone else?  Am I just nuts?  BTW-I could indeed be nuts.

13 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Only 3 weeks left to Alaska.  We have done so much planning and prep since January and now have become pretty apathetic in the last few days.

Perhaps it is all of the negative comments from Facebook Groups regarding staffing issues?

Perhaps it is just because there is nothing more for us to do in terms of planning?  

Oh, and if you are nuts, then all of us on this site are nuts as well!!

7 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I'm an obsessive planner so I agree that it can almost be a letdown when all the planning is done. I think it's also hard to fully commit to getting excited when you can still have covid issues.

I am even apathetic to the Covid testing thing.  My family was extremely sick for about the first two weeks of May.  We tested for Covid a total of 3 times in hopes that we can get a certificate of recovery.  Nope.  So now, I am thinking even with 2 weeks of severely compromised immunity from the flu, if we didn't get Covid, then we probably won't get it in the last couple of weeks.  

Thanks for your insight...yes, its been a let down since check-in.  Nothing more to buy. Nothing more to do.  Guess I will just Netflix and chill for the next 3 weeks.

Print maps of ports, pack, repack, get deet for mosquitoes, review spreadsheet (this could be me only), find port restaurants,  review ship deck plans for at least 15 times, no matter how tempted- do not buy uli knives, review glacier ice colors to know what it means, study lyrics of wash your hands, discipline yourself to sit by windows along the inner passage (whales), learn Alaska jokes like: while hiking put a small bell on your backpack to alert bears.  Also study up on bear scat.  Easy to ID.  It is the one with a small bell in it.....

Have you downloaded and started to fill out the required information on the ArriveCan (Canada) app? You can enter quite a bit of info now, but there are some parts that can't be completed until 72 hours before your ship embarks. 

I downloaded and filled in what I could a few weeks ago. We're set to sail on the Quantum on Monday, so I was able to complete the rest and get the required QR code this morning. 

Apparently, everyone who sails to Canada, whether they get off the ship there or not, has to get the ArriveCan QR code - Royal will be asking for it at the terminal. At least it's free - Bermuda charges $40/person, again, whether one gets off the ship there or not. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/18/how-use-the-arrivecan-app-your-alaska-cruise

43 minutes ago, Bob_KY said:

Print maps of ports, pack, repack, get deet for mosquitoes, review spreadsheet (this could be me only), find port restaurants,  review ship deck plans for at least 15 times, no matter how tempted- do not buy uli knives, review glacier ice colors to know what it means, study lyrics of wash your hands, discipline yourself to sit by windows along the inner passage (whales), learn Alaska jokes like: while hiking put a small bell on your backpack to alert bears.  Also study up on bear scat.  Easy to ID.  It is the one with a small bell in it.....

Spreadsheets are not just a you thing. I have at least 3. Lol

15 minutes ago, Sushitex said:

Have you downloaded and started to fill out the required information on the ArriveCan (Canada) app? You can enter quite a bit of info now, but there are some parts that can't be completed until 72 hours before your ship embarks. 

I downloaded and filled in what I could a few weeks ago. We're set to sail on the Quantum on Monday, so I was able to complete the rest and get the required QR code this morning. 

Apparently, everyone who sails to Canada, whether they get off the ship there or not, has to get the ArriveCan QR code - Royal will be asking for it at the terminal. At least it's free - Bermuda charges $40/person, again, whether one gets off the ship there or not. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/18/how-use-the-arrivecan-app-your-alaska-cruise

Done, done, done.

Too much planning can make you numb. Add into that a lot of uncertainty and you aren't as excited as you would normally be. I sail, solo, in Sept and everything has been planned and taken care off. Flights are book, dinning packages, internet and my excursions are all paid for. I plan a lot but don't allow my excitement to peak until I am usually a week or less from my vacation. 

May I suggest thinking in neutrals and positives for the next few weeks? I sailed on a S2S2S in Jan during the peak of omicron. I watched as plenty of sailings before mine got cancelled, read horror stories of being denied entry into ports and was prepped for cancelled shows and entertainment. Even one of my travel companions, and eventually our original Genie, tested positive a little while before a star class sailing. So, I kept going over the positives and neutrals in my mind. I am not of the "I will take anything when it comes to the package as long as I sail mind".......I will only take any type of room as I mostly travel solo. I would think of the little things, like not cooking or cleaning. Trying new foods and experiencing something different. Getting to go somewhere to relax, etc. For the most part nothing was nearly as bad as people made things seem.

4 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Been counting down since 100+ days out and now we are less than two weeks to go. I'm so ready. Don't care about any of the negativity. It's going to be the trip of a life time! 

I also get all wound up counting the days until our next cruise.  And I try to not get sucked into or add to  the  Debbie Downer posts of how bad the food, service, or staffing issues is/are.  It is what it is, it's never as bad as professed, and my cruises always turn out marvelously.😍

BTW... In 16 short days, my Wife boards Harmony with her brother. (I wasn't invited), but even I am counting the days in anticipation of what I know will be a wonderful time for them.🤩

And packing for an Alaskan cruise is easy.  Jeans and other outdoorsy clothes for me.  High fashion is out the window. 

I am excited for you!

20180717-081831.jpg

11 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Pffsh. 140 days is nothing. 917 days here. 

We booked our Alaska cruise November 25, 2019, originally leaving on May 31, 2021. That, of course, didn't happen, and we rebooked for May 30, 2022. 917 days from the date of the original booking.

20 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I think the key is to follow Matt's guidance to be flexible as there will be unexpected events.  We just flew to Texas and 10 minutes before the taxi was due to arrive, I discovered I had forgotten my medical insurance card (just in case).  So I frantically searched for it, then realized the cab was a no-show.  Called him to find out he had us down for 11 PM instead of 10:15 AM.  So we hopped in the car even though two weeks of parking is more expensive then the cab.  My planning advice is to have a plan B for key stuff, and it sounds like you are already there.  Now you can just chill...

21 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I'm obviously bias in my opinion on this, but I've really become dissatisfied with Facebook groups for sailings. They either end up in one of two situations: completely dead or toxic sources of misinformation. 

It's a shame because Facebook groups used to be a great source of pre-cruise excitement, tips, and a way to meet others. But they all seem to end up creating more problems than they solve.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm obviously bias in my opinion on this, but I've really become dissatisfied with Facebook groups for sailings. They either end up in one of two situations: completely dead or toxic sources of misinformation. 

It's a shame because Facebook groups used to be a great source of pre-cruise excitement, tips, and a way to meet others. But they all seem to end up creating more problems than they solve.

It's one of the reasons that I like a moderated board!  Way too much misinformation and crazy talk on facebook and the "other board".  There is a great community here also to go along with the steady stream of information you provide.  

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I've been on a few FB groups where the complainers feel free to carry on.....thankfully the upbeat, look for the silver lining crowd tends to come out in droves for every negative Nellie (no offense to anyone named Nellie!) there are positive Patty's (lol)  

I’m sorry some have had less than stellar experiences in the Facebook groups. I haven’t had that experience with our June 5th sailing on the Mariner. We’ve all been friendly, planning a get together after sail away, sharing yay’s over royal ups and introducing our kids to each other. No one bothered to set up a group for our sailing here, so I did it myself and it’s hardly visited. 

I do feel that I am running a gauntlet with covid and general illness right now. In the last month my daughter has had covid and then the flu, people coming off Mariner cruises right now have either tested positive during the sailing or just after and posting about it - not great, but not horrifying either. I was really hoping that by choosing this time is year, I could fully relax in a large group unmasked and be my usual social butterfly. So we’re just crossing fingers and hoping for the best. 

Am pretty sure you're at the point where you should start watching the full tour of the boat you're going on videos, that's where I am at! I so badly want to pack our bags but I live in Arizona and I need to close that I would be packing, except for my formal dress. Also, probably going to borrow a roll on carry-on bag from one of my friends, so I have to make arrangements for that. So I can't pack myself anything right now. And I'm just stalking the websites and pages hoping I'll get my Royal up bid! 🤔

We returned 5/16 on Quantum with covid. Hit me the last night and wife on drive home. The crew switched to kn95 masks midway through the trip for some reason. And they are fogging the the ship in the early morning hours with a disinfectant. Know that covid will likely be a factor and possibly prevalent. 

Generally, I have found the Facebook groups to be a mixed bag.  Yes, there are complainers. Yes, these groups need moderators.  

However, these groups also have the advantage of live posts.  The most recent Ovation sailing group has some very nice, honest, and informed members.  

UPDATE for the OVation based upon the most recent Ovation group is that with the exception of a crew member needing to be helo'ed out to the mainland for some undisclosed medical emergency, the passengers seem upbeat, happy, and overall satisfied.  

In case anyone was wondering, there are few reports that certain Alaskan cruise specific gift items such as the Polar Bear blanket are currently out of stock or delayed in shipping.  Some passengers got theirs and some got a letter relaying the shortage issues.  Also, Northstar andSolarium Bistro are OPEN and RUNNING! 😃

4 hours ago, Jrich said:

We just went on a cruise two weeks ago and we didn't see any staffing issues. We had a great time! We are counting down 335 days for our next cruise.  

We were on Anthem in April and really didn’t see any service issues either.  Always someone asking if we needed a drink, restaurants were all open and staffed, room cleaned, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Enchantment in April for 21 nights, and just came home from an Alaskan cruise on the Quantum 3 days ago. We noticed staff shortages on both ships, more so on the Enchantment than the Quantum, but yes, on the Quantum as well. The most disappointing night was when we returned from our evening excursion in Victoria, B.C. I guess we hadn't read the Cruise Compass all the way through, and didn't realize that only 1 bar per deck was open while in port there. That meant all the people returning to the ship had to wait in line for sodas, etc. and that after 9 p.m., the only venues open for food were Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade. I know, I know, staff shortages and Canadian regulations required the closings, but I still feel that perhaps allowing the Windjammer to stay open until 10 p.m. for that one evening would have helped with the crush of hungry people waiting in line for food, anyway. 

The good news is that we were in Alaska and Victoria, and we saw magnificent scenery at every port, including Buchart Gardens in B.C. 

I'm sure that we will all be very glad once extra crew is hired and trained. 

I never go numb pre-cruise.  My countdown from the highest number to the day of sailing is always exciting, equally.  Like I keep saying, a bad day at sea on a Royal ship is much better that a good day on land or a Brand X cruise ship.  That's not to say that Royal is perfect, it isn't.  But, it is probably the best, non-luxury cruise line out there and I believe the best crews on water.