Check in on app - Ugh

I am retired.  My professional life was 35 years of software development but mostly software quality assurance or software testing.  My experience tells me Royal Caribbean software issues are the result of poor testing.  Either RCL has tasked the developers to do their own testing or their test team is not so good.  Developers are usually pretty good about testing their new features but terrible regression testers (testing the stuff that used to work still does).

Testing is considered by management to be a lesser skilled or entry level position.  The staff hired is not always cream of the crop. 

If you are worried about getting the first available time to check in, then I would say you don't really need to.  The available time slots may be taken up once your app allows you to check in; however, it is highly likely that the earlier times will open back up.

For instance, many people take the 11 am slot right away and then realize that they cannot make it in time for that slot due to air travel schedule, etc...

In my personal case, I checked in at midnight and grabbed the 11 am slot.  At 10 am the next day, the 11 am slots were all taken.  On the third day of check in, the 11 am slots opened back up.  

This is my long way of saying, keep checking but don't worry too much.

3 hours ago, Caroline M said:

Check in is open - but when I click "Arrival Time" it says "Not quite ready for you"

WHY??????

This has been happening with a fair degree of regularity over the last couple of months, for various ships and various sailings. Just keep checking back. In our case, the times showed up two days after check-in opened.

you can log into the website and grab a time.  However, on the website you cannot move forward without submitting some info (it gives you an error message).....at best I just make up some of the info and leave it to be edited in the app later.  You would have to do this for all people attached to your reservation if you want them all to have the same arrival time at the pier.   It was a pain for me to do this for the 6 people I am traveling with, but, it was worth it to be "done".  

This happened to me the other day, but this workaround worked for me--instead of clicking the check-in button at the bottom, click on your profile at the top right. Once there, it showed my reservation and there was a blue box with a "check in now" option. It worked for me to choose my check-in time from there, but your mileage may vary. Good luck. 

On 5/20/2022 at 10:28 AM, CruisingNewb said:

If you are worried about getting the first available time to check in, then I would say you don't really need to.  The available time slots may be taken up once your app allows you to check in; however, it is highly likely that the earlier times will open back up.

For instance, many people take the 11 am slot right away and then realize that they cannot make it in time for that slot due to air travel schedule, etc...

In my personal case, I checked in at midnight and grabbed the 11 am slot.  At 10 am the next day, the 11 am slots were all taken.  On the third day of check in, the 11 am slots opened back up.  

This is my long way of saying, keep checking but don't worry too much.

For our sailing from Vancouver, we managed to get the earliest possible check-in time, and we got through the check in process pretty quickly, but once we were done with us we still had to wait in a large waiting area with everyone else to get on the ship, which I believe was because they had to offload a number of Covid positive passengers. So in the end the check in time didn’t really matter at all, we did get to board based on check-in time, but this was only a minute or two faster than other people . I believe they got us all on the ship within about 20 minutes to half an hour of the same time. My advice: just take whatever time they give you and don’t fret 🙂 have a terrific first cruise! I sure did despite everything and all the requirements.