Kids and C&A numbers

Our kids have been on many cruises with us but now I have one that will turn 18 later in the year and I would like to make sure she continues at the same C&A level that we are currently.  As it stands now when we have a booking the wife and I have C&A numbers but the kids are left blank, so I assume this means they need to be assigned a number.  So when and how is this done so that they don't have to start over building points at 18?

When your child turns 18, based on current information, they will obtain the status of their cruise points. They only share status with you while they are under 18. So, if they are 12 but only have 30pts and you are diamond, they will have diamond status. But when they turned 18, they have to have the 80points to maintain D level status. I believe once they turn 18, they will be assigned a number and the points they have will be attached. I also think you can call beforehand and get the number.

Contact Crown and Anchor and see if they already have  numbers, if they do not get them numbers and ensure their cruising history, for anything they did with you is matching yours. 
Additionally, if you did cruises without the kids, and you earned "Emerald" for example, your kids will be Emerald like you but their cruise points will not match yours.
C&A 1-800-526-9723

Looks like I just need to call and get their numbers assigned even if they are the same as mine for now.  I guess the way I read (or misread)  here was that children kept the same tier at 18 as their parents but would possibly show a lower number of points.  

I agree with @Pattycruise.  Unless things have changed recently, the kids should continue to reflect their parents' status until they earn enough points to advance to D+ on their own.  I don't think they "revert" back to their points level.  Maybe they changed the rules.  If so, that's a big deal.  They should continue to be Diamond even after they turn 18.

11 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Additionally, the minors have the same C&A number as you until they become 18 (as the level from the parent).

My son has had his own C and A number since his first cruise. Kids can definitely have their own number.

We signed him up with the Loyalty Ambassador on the ship. You could also call C and A direct.

14 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Additionally, the minors have the same C&A number as you until they become 18 (as the level from the parent).

I don't think this is true.  All of my minor children have had their own unique crown & anchor numbers since their first cruise.

All 4 of my kids have their own numbers and their C&A level matches mine, but their cruise points are much lower.  My oldest son is encouraging us to cruise a lot, even without him,  so when he turns 18 he will be Diamond+😛.  

ETA: To get their numbers I just emailed C&A support.

2 hours ago, sleepy425 said:

All 4 of my kids have their own numbers and their C&A level matches mine, but their cruise points are much lower.  My oldest son is encouraging us to cruise a lot, even without him,  so when he turns 18 he will be Diamond+😛.  

ETA: To get their numbers I just emailed C&A support.

Be careful about this, I talked to a girl on a cruise who was knocked down. Her parents were D+ but she had Emerald level points, so she was Emerald when she turned 18. The key point is children share status while under their parents. 

24 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Be careful about this, I talked to a girl on a cruise who was knocked down. Her parents were D+ but she had Emerald level points, so she was Emerald when she turned 18. The key point is children share status while under their parents. 

As long as the accounts are linked, the child will receive whatever status (level) the parent has achieved until they are 18. After that, the child will retain the status, but only have the points they have personally earned.  So a child whose parents were Diamond at 18 would still be Diamond even if they only had 30 points.  They would not be moved up to Diamond plus until they achieved the required points on their own.

54 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

As long as the accounts are linked, the child will receive whatever status (level) the parent has achieved until they are 18. After that, the child will retain the status, but only have the points they have personally earned.  So a child whose parents were Diamond at 18 would still be Diamond even if they only had 30 points.  They would not be moved up to Diamond plus until they achieved the required points on their own.

This was the experience we had-my daughter is now over 18  and Diamond.
  I will say that my daughter's set sail pass showed as Emerald, when she is Diamond.  She called Royal C&A and they confirmed she is Diamond and fixed her set sail pass.  So if anyone has any issues with proper level they should be contacting Royal C&A .

1 hour ago, wordell1 said:

That was not what the LA told her on Mariner. I thought it was the case like you stated.  But they refused to budge and she was emerald, even though when she last sailed with her parents they were diamond. We had another poster on here who was told the same thing, as they turned diamond before she turned 18 and she wasn't given the status. I hope it works out like you say but we all know RCG isn't consistent. 

CAS Verbiage 
A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status.

All the above is true about children receiving their parents C & A status upon reaching the age of majority. But just to foreshadow, achieving additional status or benefits will become really murky in their future because they may not be a "natural" platinum, diamond, or whatever...

For example, a couple may have done some cruising before having children, later taken their kids on cruises several times, and also taken a few weekend get aways without the kids in suites no less. In essence the kids have some cruise points they have actually achieved and a whole bunch more they have inherited. The kids turn 18 and yes they do get their parents status and presumably whatever benefits at that level. But here's the murky part......these kids now do some cruising on their own and want a crystal block, or they want to become Diamond +, or they want to receive two bottles of wine in their stateroom...... ahhhh.....be on the lookout for some disappointment when Royal says not so fast, despite what is printed on your sea pass you have only X amount of sailing nights with us; so kiddo you have some catching up to do before we allow you into the luncheon, a seat at the captains table, or give you those luggage tags. The actual nights of sailing is not lost on Royal. You may think that many years have past and it is all a little blurry and some things will get shoved underneath the rug but Royal has a long memory. Despite their computers will still be running DOS at that point in the future, they will know how many nights have been actually sailed and not want to give up the goods.

An interesting related note. I believe it is Royal's policy that you must be 21 in order to a sail on your own. Meaning, a person who is 18, 19, or 20 can not book a cabin on their own and must have a parent or guardian on the same or an associated reservation. Being 2022 this all may seem completely normal but to an old timer like me this is absolutely bizarre. When I was 19 I was already well on my way to becoming a Club Med regular. Booking, paying for, flying to foreign countries, and staying at their resorts--completely on my own. 

Man o' man, I wish it was 1985 again!!!!

What happens on their 18th birthday is not consistent nor is it specifically addressed in the terms and conditions.

There are reports of former dependent children being dropped to their actual individual points level on their 18th birthday AND there are reports of dependent children being frozen at whatever level they had on their 18th birthday.

In either case they should have their own C&A number and their actual points will always reflect what they have actually sailed.  No one, spouse or dependent children is gifted points to match tier levels, their own points counter is always unique to them.  It may look that way when you sign into a dependent account because that is what Royal does to trick the system into granting matching status but behind the scenes everyone has a counter that tracks their own actual points sailed. 

49 minutes ago, endofturn said:

So if we get to diamond before the kids turn 18, at 18 will the kids be diamond with 42 points, or platinum?

This is a computer system doing this, how can it be both?

I imagine they had  someone write a simple computer code.....IF A  (parent status) then B (kids status until kid is 18) and the code also tracks the kids points.

2 hours ago, endofturn said:

So if we get to diamond before the kids turn 18, at 18 will the kids be diamond with 42 points, or platinum?

This is a computer system doing this, how can it be both?

That part of the computer code is pretty simple.  You store a few variables for each member: a counter for the member's actual point count, a counter for the member's inherited point count, a flag for whether the member is over/under 18, and a flag for whether the member is in a declared relationship (parent/child or spousal).  For parent/child relationships, the inherited point count stops incrementing when the child turns 18.  For spousal relationships, it continues to track the spouse with the higher point total.  Either way, your status is determined by the higher point counter (your own points or your inherited points).

So yes, when a child with 42 points turns 18 and their parent(s) are already diamond, they become an adult with 42 points and diamond status.  If their personal point count eventually reaches 80 they would be diamond on their own record and C&A could delete inherited information.

2 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

That part of the computer code is pretty simple.  You store a few variables for each member: a counter for the member's actual point count, a counter for the member's inherited point count, a flag for whether the member is over/under 18, and a flag for whether the member is in a declared relationship (parent/child or spousal).  For parent/child relationships, the inherited point count stops incrementing when the child turns 18.  For spousal relationships, it continues to track the spouse with the higher point total.  Either way, your status is determined by the higher point counter (your own points or your inherited points).

So yes, when a child with 42 points turns 18 and their parent(s) are already diamond, they become an adult with 42 points and diamond status.  If their personal point count eventually reaches 80 they would be diamond on their own record and C&A could delete inherited information.

That's not what everyone is saying, though in this thread. They are saying their status reverts to whatever their actual sailed nights are. People are saying both things are true.

4 hours ago, endofturn said:

That's not what everyone is saying, though in this thread. They are saying their status reverts to whatever their actual sailed nights are. People are saying both things are true.

Well, there's what is said in the program rules and what happens in practice.  The VAST majority of people across many threads here and elsewhere report that historically their children have retained their status but there are a few recent reports to the contrary.

Earlier in the thread, the following link https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf shows the current rules.  This document says it is valid for sailings March 15, 2022 and beyond.  It does say:

"Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the tier. Children will be removed of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent's record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status."

I found another link https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/countries/crown-and-anchor/pdf/CAS-member-grid.pdf which is dated 10/27/2017.  It says:

"For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status."

The locations in the document are a bit different but shows this language about removing status from children has existed for a long time.  Did they change the rules recently?  Doesn't look like it.  Did they change the code or enforcement recently?  Possibly.

My question is how many people does this really effect?  If parents have consistently taken their children on cruises throughout their life, the children likely have earned plenty of status based on their own nights of sailing.  It's the children that are usually left home while their parents cruise often that would end up losing status.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

My question is how many people does this really effect?  If parents have consistently taken their children on cruises throughout their life, the children likely have earned plenty of status based on their own nights of sailing.  It's the children that are usually left home while their parents cruise often that would end up losing status.

We are a long way from 18, but we did 6 cruises before they were born. They're going on their first cruise this year. If we are truly blessed we will have the opportunity to go on 6 more before they turn 18, which would put them at diamond. For it to not matter you'd have to start cruising after your kids after born. Maybe most people start cruising later in life but it didn't happen with us that way.

8 hours ago, endofturn said:

We are a long way from 18, but we did 6 cruises before they were born. They're going on their first cruise this year. If we are truly blessed we will have the opportunity to go on 6 more before they turn 18, which would put them at diamond. For it to not matter you'd have to start cruising after your kids after born. Maybe most people start cruising later in life but it didn't happen with us that way.

...always supposing they have their own C&A number?

On 5/19/2022 at 11:06 PM, Snowchaser said:

Our kids have been on many cruises with us but now I have one that will turn 18 later in the year and I would like to make sure she continues at the same C&A level that we are currently.  As it stands now when we have a booking the wife and I have C&A numbers but the kids are left blank, so I assume this means they need to be assigned a number.  So when and how is this done so that they don't have to start over building points at 18?

You definitely MUST get your kids their own C&A numbers and connect all of you as a family ASAP.  if you don’t get this done BEFORE the one turns 18, they will NOT get or keep your higher status.

if you’re all connected as a family with C&A while they’re still under 18, even if they have 0 points when they turn 18 and let’s say you have Diamond Plus, they’d be and stay Diamond Plus as well.  But is this isn’t don’t BEFORE they oldest turns 18, they lose all of that.

Call Crown & Anchor!

DEAD0310-0F38-4AA1-B158-D040CF73FF40.jpeg