AVOID Pisa on your own

Ashley Hun

This was the worst experience that I've ever had on an excursion. The excursion was not very clear about the trip only being 4 hours, PERIOD! That includes if your ship is an hour late, as well as if road work also puts you behind another 45 minutes! 

The tour guide didn't even mention how long we had at the site until we pulled up, where she finally mentioned that we had ONE hour! Everyone on the bus was furious. When rising our concerns, the guide informed us that her boss will only allow us an extra 10 minutes... 

We had no time to tour inside ANY of the buildings nor eat lunch. We only had time to walk around to see a few sites. There was so much that we planned on seeing but had absolutely no time to do.

When we returned to the ship, many of us complained to the guest services. I later received a call from a representative who informed me that she could only give a 10% refund (like $8). 

After that, I will never book another excursion with Royal Caribbean again. 

I am truly sorry you had such a frustrating excursion.  However, I will say that Pisa was not our fondest memory when we cruised the Med.  Next time we will choose Florence!  But having said that, I must say that just seeing the Leaning Tower was something special.  Also, my experience is that the more one cruises, the more one learns which ports are more likely to be inspiring.  I've also found it important to research ports in advance of my cruise (perhaps watch a few online videos).  For me, when a port requires an hour drive each way, it usually requires about 6-8 hours for an effective excursion.  Best of luck on your next port visit!

I'm cutting and pasting from my cruise planner but it clearly states the time - sounds like you got an extra half hour.  

Pisa On Your Own
FLORENCE/PISA(LASPEZIA)ITALY
DURATION: 3 HOURS AND 30 MINUTES

Discover the many marvels of the Renaissance in Pisa, one of the greatest trading and sea…

From*$69.00USD Adult   $69.00USD Child