What to See & Do in LA Pre Cruise

Hello RCB Community. We are looking for suggestions as what we should see and do pre-cruise in Los Angeles. We have been to LAX airport a few times, but never had an opportunity to venture and explore LA. We are planning to join Matt on the June 2023 RCB group cruise (shameless plug) and would like to spend a few days pre cruise. I guess there is Disneyland, but how many days would be enough; not really ride people; and whether to stay on or off site? So apart from the Disney option, what are other suggestions of what we should do and also any suggestions of where to stay.

It is quite an open question but if you have done an excursion which you thought was well worth doing, we would appreciate your thoughts.  

Many things to do.  Santa Monica beach and pier.   Take in a game at Dodger Stadium, beaches, amusement parks, movie studio tours, Getty Museum, tour Queen Mary ship, San Diego Zoo, walk around Hollywood Blvd and old Hollywood,  Walk of frame,   Griffith Park observatory and grounds, safari park, china town,  lunch at Beverly Hills hotel out by the pool,  wine tour,  ferry trip to Catalina Island, Aquarium, go north to Santa Barbara for the day,  city walk at Universal studios.......

Can you tell I grew up in Los Angeles area?   And have visited often?   I have a favorite hotel in Santa Monica. The Georgian. it is across street from ocean and Palisades Park and pier, and lots of places to walk.  Breakfast on the hotels porch is very nice and relaxing.

Your question depends upon where you are staying pre-cruise.  Funny, my spouse and I were discussing this a few days ago about how people plan Los Angeles trips without understanding the realities of Southern California.

Disneyland-If you are staying near Long Beach terminal, which is already about an hour drive from LAX, traveling from Long Beach to Anaheim is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.  Figure in parking and shuttling from the Disney parking lots, if you leave your hotel at 7am, you can expect to be at the Disney gates by 9am.  

The same holds true for pretty much any major theme park in the area.  

If I may, I suggest doing things like visiting the Getty Museum, which by my memory was free, and then doing a walking tour of the "Hollywood" area.  Lots of free things to do and some iconic foodie stops such as Pink's Hotdogs.

A baseball game is not a bad suggestion, but Dodger Stadium is on a hill and the only parking at the stadium goes up a narrow road up and down the hill.  Meaning, a baseball game is at least a 6 hour endeavor if it is a short game.  

Many people have a misconception that Los Angeles encompasses Orange County, San Diego, the northern greater Los Angeles areas, etc.  All of these locations are a long commute.  Having lived in South Orange County, I tell you that for us, it is a CHORE to venture out even to Disneyland, which is only about 30 miles away.  It is easily a one hour drive each way.

San Diego Zoo from Los Angeles is easily a 3 hour drive each way.

If you have an idea of where you are staying, I can definitely tell you hot spots, trendy places, or local's secrets to experience.  Without knowing where you are staying, I can only say this: Plan on ONE activity a day and no more-or you will likely be disappointed.  

The USS Iowa Battleship is located right next to the terminal where you will board Navigator (it's the same parking lot so you can walk to it). It is a museum and looked really interesting! I didn't have time to visit, but if I go on Navigator again I would like to stop by and see the museum/ship.

https://www.visitlongbeach.com/directory/the-battleship-iowa-museum/

1 hour ago, JennaRCB said:

The USS Iowa Battleship is located right next to the terminal where you will board Navigator (it's the same parking lot so you can walk to it). It is a museum and looked really interesting! I didn't have time to visit, but if I go on Navigator again I would like to stop by and see the museum/ship.

https://www.visitlongbeach.com/directory/the-battleship-iowa-museum/

Yes! That is a good one.  The Aquarium is also right there and is very nice.  

First, recognize that "Los Angeles", not just the city proper but the entire megalopolis, is a VERY big place...with a great many things to see and do...and it mostly depends on your personal interests...

A lot of people here seem to push amusement parks--Disney, Knott's, Universal, etc.  Personally, I wouldn't bother--unless you're traveling with kids or have a love of such parks.  They tend to be overpriced, crowded and difficult...Yes, the LA area is famous for them...but is it really how you want to spend your time?

My best advice for most ADULT visitors is to stay in SANTA MONICA.  It is one of the nicer, more upscale areas with the best weather (thanks to its seaside location).  It has a lot to see and do right in Santa Monica and much more in neighboring areas.  And, all of the various tour companies pick up from Santa Monica hotels plus the HOHO Tour bus uses it as a hub.

Stay in the area close to the Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier/Palisades Park.  I have personally stayed in both the Loews and the Marriott LeMarigot...and highly recommend both.  Also look at the Fairmont Miramar, Shutters-on-the-Beach, the Huntley, Wyndham, Georgian, Shangri La...or even the Marriott Courtyard or Hampton Inn--both near the ne Metro station, though a couple of blocks further inland than ideal.

This is a great area to stay in due to the large number of restaurants, shopping, nightlife and attractions.  Santa Monica Pier is a classic Amusement pier with rides and restaurants...and great views...and is the "location" for a great number of movies and TV shows.  The Third Street Promenade is a pedestrian-only promenade with shops, restaurants and a constant stream of street performers...great place to wander around day and night.  Palisades Park spans the cliffs overlooking Santa Monica Beach...a stroll at sunset yields incredible views.

From Santa Monica, it's a short Uber ride or bus trip down to the Venice Beach Boardwalk.  This is the quintessential Southern California experience.  If you've seen movies or TV shows with girls in bikinis on roller skates, body builders lifting weights on the beach and all sorts of street performers, street vendors and just generally interesting people, THIS is the place.  The Getty Villa, housing Getty's antiquities collection is just a short ride up the coast from Santa Monica and the Getty Center--LA's great Art Museum, is a short trip inland to the Sepulveda Pass.  I would take one day and do a tour or the HOHO bus to go take in the standard tourist sights in Hollywood (The Hollywood Sign, Walk of Fae, Chinese Theater, etc.) and the typical stops at Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, the Farmer's Market in the Fairfax District, Sunset Strip, etc.  Depending on how many days you want to devote, you can take one day out to visit a TV or movie studio (a real one, not Universal--which has become more of a theme park)...most of these are in Burbank, though Sony (MGM) is closer to Santa Monica in Culver City.

I would devote between three to five nights in this area, then head down to the port area the day prior to your cruise and stay in San Pedro at the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree for the convenience to the port in the morning.  If you get to the port early, you may want to head over to Long Beach for the day to see the Queen Mary and/or Aquarium of the Pacific--depending on your time and interests...

Good luck...

I personally didn't like the Hollywood area very much, it can be visited in a couple of hours. In general the city is very lonely and abandoned. I recommend you visit the Griffith Observatory and Beverly Hills. Visit parks like Universal Studios and the Sony and Warner tours if you like tv shows and movies. Also DEF Santa Monica and Interstellar waffles.

I like the low cost approach myself. Because ports like LA, New York, Boston, and Seattle offer a whole bunch of things that are iconic, important, or are things I have seen a million times on TV but now I can see them with my own two eyes while crossing off another item off the bucket list. Things that are basically free and don’t require a time commitment.

For example: the Hollywood sign, as another poster said Venice Beach, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Mann’s Chinese Theater, a long walk down Melrose, a drive down Rodeo drive and observing a quintessential Barbie driving with the the top down, the Capitol Records building, who ever may be playing at the Whiskey that night, find out what they mean by The Valley or The Five, and even a ride through South Central so you realize it’s not all Malibu Barbie and the Beach Boys. Driving in LA will be very familiar if you have played Grand Theft Auto just a few times.

And, I would not say you have visited LA until after eating at an In n’ Out Burger. That’s obligatory.