3 day dining plan and kids

I plan on buying the 3 day dining plan on Oasis of the Seas. 
I was going to purchase it as well for my 2 kids. Ages 9 and 12. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it to book the dining package for them since a lot of places just charge kids ages 6-12 a cover charge. But they have to eat from the kids menu? This would be fine for one of my kids but not the other. My daughter has adult tastes. 
Should I just book the kids for the 3 day dining plan so there’s no worries or will I save money by just doing a cover charge? 
We want to do Portside BBQ, Giovanni, playmakers or Chops. 

So, to be honest I would not purchase a 3n plan for those restaurants. Best bet is to get a Chops + 1 and then do Giovannis as your second restaurant. You will save a bit.

For example: a 3n plan might be $122 with gratuity and the Chops+1 might be $86 with gratuity. Chops on its own goes for about $65 and Giovannis might be somewhere around $53. Both Playmakers and Portside are given $20/25 credits and the thing of it is you could spend that much once and get a lot of food for all of you. So, you aren't saving by going to only 2 specialty restaurants and then a quick casual. Look at the children's menu for Chops and Giovanni, you could just pay the cover charge for each child and split some of the food you order with your daughter, its often a lot. Or you can get the Chops+1 for your daughter, if you feel like she will only eat off the adult menu.

I have done Playmakers a la carte plenty of times and never gotten close to that credit amount......granted I am solo but. The items are decently priced at both places, especially for cruise food. If it is about getting your money's worth, I wouldn't use a dinner on places like Playmakers, Johhny Rockets or Portside BBQ.

So when I do the 3 meal package it charges at the kid price and states they have to order off the kids menu.  It is really why I was not doing any specialty this cruise.  I feel my kids will do much better in the main dining where they can order from kids or adult menu.  None of my kids are full on kids menu kids.  Don't get me wrong they like Mac & Cheese and pizza, but they really prefer steak, seafood, etc.  My most kid's meal kid loves soups and so she is excited to try all the various soups.  She loves Clam chowder.  My son loves shrimp, so shrimp cocktail is going to be his thing I see him ordering a lot.  My oldest loves salads, steak, and seafood.  So she will love the salad at every meal for sure.  I just don't see them ordering a ton from kid friendly food in the main dining room.

Only specialty one I have considered is Japanese because two of my kids absolutely love Sushi and the 3rd loves Hibachi style steak.  But I really wasn't sure if it was worth it since we have such great Hibachi places here in Orlando.

21 hours ago, IzzyB said:

So when I do the 3 meal package it charges at the kid price and states they have to order off the kids menu.  It is really why I was not doing any specialty this cruise.  I feel my kids will do much better in the main dining where they can order from kids or adult menu.  None of my kids are full on kids menu kids.  Don't get me wrong they like Mac & Cheese and pizza, but they really prefer steak, seafood, etc.  My most kid's meal kid loves soups and so she is excited to try all the various soups.  She loves Clam chowder.  My son loves shrimp, so shrimp cocktail is going to be his thing I see him ordering a lot.  My oldest loves salads, steak, and seafood.  So she will love the salad at every meal for sure.  I just don't see them ordering a ton from kid friendly food in the main dining room.

Only specialty one I have considered is Japanese because two of my kids absolutely love Sushi and the 3rd loves Hibachi style steak.  But I really wasn't sure if it was worth it since we have such great Hibachi places here in Orlando.

My almost three year old was the same on this last cruise. Most of his food was off the adult menu in the mdr. Shrimp cocktail, escargot, steak, apple blossom a la mode

8 hours ago, DellaStar said:

What Hibachi places do you recommend in Orlando? We are planning on visiting the Disney area after the cruise. 

Kobe is where we go since our other local one stopped doing tables.  But there are others in the tourist area that people like.  Epcot one is fantastic I have heard too, but we always end up at other Epcot places and haven't had passes since Covid.  We are lucky that Kobe is close to us.

2 hours ago, anxiouscruiser said:

My almost three year old was the same on this last cruise. Most of his food was off the adult menu in the mdr. Shrimp cocktail, escargot, steak, apple blossom a la mode

What was on the kids menu?  Just curious as I have never cruised with a kid and I was 13 the first time I went and therefore never had the kids menu myself.

15 hours ago, IzzyB said:

Kobe is where we go since our other local one stopped doing tables.  But there are others in the tourist area that people like.  Epcot one is fantastic I have heard too, but we always end up at other Epcot places and haven't had passes since Covid.  We are lucky that Kobe is close to us.

What was on the kids menu?  Just curious as I have never cruised with a kid and I was 13 the first time I went and therefore never had the kids menu myself.

Kids menu is very basic, some pasta, chicken nuggets, burger, grilled cheese, etc. 

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Kids menu is very basic, some pasta, chicken nuggets, burger, grilled cheese, etc. 

So typically kids menus, so we won't be ordering a ton from that.  I could see them doing one kids menu item, but doing a lot of the adults stuff.

2 hours ago, IzzyB said:

So typically kids menus, so we won't be ordering a ton from that.  I could see them doing one kids menu item, but doing a lot of the adults stuff.

Ya i mean thats not really sustainable or healthy for a kid to have junk at every meal. Im glad mine chose some stuff of the adult menu cause i didnt want him eating pizza and hot dogs for a week

On 5/19/2022 at 9:55 PM, anxiouscruiser said:

Ya i mean thats not really sustainable or healthy for a kid to have junk at every meal. Im glad mine chose some stuff of the adult menu cause i didnt want him eating pizza and hot dogs for a week

I am paying a lot for this cruise, they better not eat pizza and hot dogs all week lol

But we have been telling them all the cool things on cruises.  I told my son he can order shrimp cocktail every night and his eyes lit up.  And so I think hyping up the adult food will get them to avoid the junk.  Plus I assume we will do enough buffet lunches they will get the junk out of their system for those meals.  If I remember the buffet lunches is all burgers and other stuff like that.

9 hours ago, IzzyB said:

I am paying a lot for this cruise, they better not eat pizza and hot dogs all week lol

But we have been telling them all the cool things on cruises.  I told my son he can order shrimp cocktail every night and his eyes lit up.  And so I think hyping up the adult food will get them to avoid the junk.  Plus I assume we will do enough buffet lunches they will get the junk out of their system for those meals.  If I remember the buffet lunches is all burgers and other stuff like that.

Totally. Windjammer lunch was our pig out on junk then the dinners in the dining room were real fine dining.