I always completed my Post Cruise Survey's, until I overheard this!

So I just got off the Adventure of the Seas after a 13 night reposition from TX to NJ.

While siting in the Main dining room, I could not help overhear a conversation between guest and crew speaking about the Post Cruise Survey at another table.

My take from it was that I guess someone or maybe more was Extremely happy with the service of the MDR crew.....BUT, not overly thrilled with the food itself. This was around the time when the crew reminds you towards the end of your cruise that you will be receiving a "Post Cruise Survey" after you arrive home, and that it was very important that these be filled out.

Because the surveys are part of the decision factor whether or not crew members are offered another contract, it is important to fill these out Good or Bad. 

But, here is what very much concerned me, I am hoping that someone can confirm if this is real or not, that the MDR & Kitchen Staff are treated as 1. So If you love your waiters, but hate the food....a bad survey about the food is also a strike against the wait staff.

If this is true, what other parts of the crew are tied in together? 

I am reluctant to do anymore Post Crew Surveys anymore until, I find out what's what.

Has anyone else got any wind on this?

I've shared your experience of the differences, but never heard one bad review regarding food prep is applied to wait staff.   Although recently on Allure, when something was not right with the food, the wait staff was VERY vested making it right - offering a re-do or something else to replace..    

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

I've shared your experience of the differences, but never heard one bad review regarding food prep is applied to wait staff.   Although recently on Allure, when something was not right with the food, the wait staff was VERY vested making it right - offering a re-do or something else to replace..    

Yes, I agree. I am not one to say anything if I did not like it. It was not their fault, but if it is seen that you are not liking something they will very much go out of the way for corrective action.

Unfortunately on my last sailing both the food and the service was bad.  If you have to ask for water EVERY NIGHT YOU SIT DOWN.. and again for refills when "the guy" is filling other tables and walks right by...there is a major problem.
That was only one aspect of service that was poor.  It was only the second time I've done a survey where the rating was not a 10, and I can overlook a lot.
I have recently heard them say the food does count against them.  I don't know why that would be.  I assume to counteract that you could list your waitstaff in the comments and write amazing things about them.  I did that for one of the guest service staff on Anthem and when I boarded again a few weeks later and stopped by to say hello she asked if I had written a review for her and I said I did and she asked if I used the word 'wonderful' and I said I did and she told me the review was sent to her boss and she was given accolades for it.  I would have no other way of knowing something positive is said to the employee who receives positive feedback so it was nice to learn this firsthand.

I agree with the surveys being generic. I rated a few things on my last cruise below average and was expecting to have a space to give a more in depth reasoning why. I was shocked when that space didn’t appear. The things I rated had to do with the internet being completely unreliable and a lack of organization in some areas. Nothing major but I wanted to explain so the crew didn’t face backlash. I ended up putting a very long explanation in the only box I was given. I hope they read it but they probably didn’t.

This survey gives me the feelings that other surveys give (Starbucks, Dunkin, Chili’s, etc) where the staff only get rewarded if it’s the top score and everything else is considered bad.

I can see why the waitstaff and cooks might be lumped in together. Lots of crew work multiple departments and positions. I will bet that while the chefs stay chefs, some do prep and may move about the departments. I don't mind the mention of the survey, but I hate when they go into detail. It seems like they're fishing for high scores. 

The survey is very generic, and I was told that not only do they give the crew evidence of great reviews, but they also reward them. So, a great score could get that crew member a pick of detail, i.e., not working the WJ but maybe getting to bartend, or a day off faster in the rotation. 

39 minutes ago, smost said:

This survey gives me the feelings that other surveys give (Starbucks, Dunkin, Chili’s, etc) where the staff only get rewarded if it’s the top score and everything else is considered bad.

Correct. "Perfect" is the only acceptable score. 4/5 or 9/10 is considered failure. I believe some of them would consider 99/100 failure if the scale was 0 to 100.

When a survey follows up on rating something less than perfect with a question about why I have a standard response.

Example: Please tell us why you were not highly satisfied. "I chose satisfied because I got what I expected. Highly satisfied requires something special and is reserved for exceptional service. You should be happy with a response of satisfied. I do not operate under an everybody-gets-a-trophy mentality. If you want a highly satisfied rating, do MORE than the standard expectation. By the way, once you do MORE a couple times, that becomes the new expectation and continuing to provide that level of service will return you to a response of satisfied."

I think the surveys are useful though not perfect and probably in need of improvement.  I intend to fill them out.  However, I have found the Guest Services comment box a good place to put notes during a cruise, such as especially good service, perhaps comments on an excursion (I take those to the Excursion Desk), or an issue about a common area.  Room comments can always be shared with the Stateroom Steward, and I have found the MDR staff receptive to suggestions.

32 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Correct. "Perfect" is the only acceptable score. 4/5 or 9/10 is considered failure. I believe some of them would consider 99/100 failure if the scale was 0 to 100.

When a survey follows up on rating something less than perfect with a question about why I have a standard response.

Example: Please tell us why you were not highly satisfied. "I chose satisfied because I got what I expected. Highly satisfied requires something special and is reserved for exceptional service. You should be happy with a response of satisfied. I do not operate under an everybody-gets-a-trophy mentality. If you want a highly satisfied rating, do MORE than the standard expectation. By the way, once you do MORE a couple times, that becomes the new expectation and continuing to provide that level of service will return you to a response of satisfied."

The surveys can influence the response.  If you have to answer additional questions based on a less then perfect rating, some folks will then offer subsequent ratings of perfect to avoid the hassle.

When I was employed in the corporate world, if we rated our managers poorly we would be placed into focus groups with the goal determining ways to improve our managers.  This was work above and beyond our regular assigned tasks that had to be completed on time.  We learned quickly to rate management highly whether they deserved it or not!

Just a tin foil hat response, but the staff may be saying this to make sure you rate everyone 100%. I hate when people tell me about a survey and then proceed to tell me how I should rate them. Major turnoff and it will most likely result in a lower score or rating. Also, people need to be honest. It's the only way things or people are going to improve. If you just mark the highest rating all the time, nothing is going to change.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I work for a large company who values its customer service and we routinely get recognized for the level of service we provide and we look for top 2 block surveys so on our 1-10 surveys we send our customers a 9 or a 10 is good. Anything less than 9 is not good. 

Well....if you are not happy with the food coming out an astute waitstaff should recognize this, inquire what the problem might be, supply that active feedback to the kitchen and help to make the food is more to your liking........could be any number of issues that people blame on the kitchen that the waitstaff could have fixed for you while there so if you have a complaint about one part of the MDR it makes sense to me that it would also detract from other areas in the MDR....they are after all one team.

15 minutes ago, spursfreak21 said:

I work for a large company who values its customer service and we routinely get recognized for the level of service we provide and we look for top 2 block surveys so on our 1-10 surveys we send our customers a 9 or a 10 is good. Anything less than 9 is not good. 

Top two blocks being the target is reasonable. Only a perfect rating as the target is not reasonable.

I'm okay with giving a 9/10 for very good service. 10/10 requires something exceptional.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

If memory serves me correctly, isn't there a rating for MDR service and another for food quality?

I always thought that as well, but if true...they are both being scored together. So to me, that is not right.

Royal’s obsession with guest satisfaction scores is why many “rules” aren’t enforced, such as mdr dress code, chair hogs, etc. 

In short, it’s better to let guests do what they want (within reason) as a way to improve guest satisfaction. 

“what about me and a chair hog upsets me”

Thats true, but a crew member telling you “no” is going to more negatively effect your view of the cruise than some other guest being inconsiderate. 

I don’t think guest satisfaction scores should be the end all, be all, of what constitutes success. Then again, I’m not in HR, marketing, or whoever picks these metrics.  But they showboat these scores up and down all the time to press and Wall Street.  

I believe 2 things from my multiple interactions and discussions with crew this year.

1. Your specific comments by crew name in the large box towards the end of the survey are pull and placed in a document that is posted on that crew members department bulletin board.  They like them.

2. They, the crew are not supposed to be asking for good ratings on the survey.  It is highly discouraged at the management level.  That is the purpose of the survey question ask if any crew member has solicited a rating from you and what department they were from.

In 10 cruises since start up I have only had it mentioned to me twice now and both time from the MDR.

I have no problem rating each item as I precieve it and provide a reason for a low score in the comments block.

Also I always name those that go a little above expected service by name.

4 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

In 10 cruises since start up I have only had it mentioned to me twice now and both time from the MDR

I wish it would be twice only in the same week.  I had a waiter who couldn’t shut up about the survey, every single day…and sometimes twice a meal.  Add in the head waiter and it was over the top annoying.  

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I wish it would be twice only in the same week.  I had a waiter who couldn’t shut up about the survey, every single day…and sometimes twice a meal.  Add in the head waiter and it was over the top annoying.  

My experience exactly. 

The staff in specialty restaurants have begun stumping for the survey (even at JR Breakfast)!

7 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

The one time we had a "repeat offender" it was stopped with a simple statement:

We understand that there is a survey. We will fill it out. Just be aware that every time you mention the survey starting NOW, the score for your department will go down.

Never heard another word about the survey from that individual.

I get the survey each and every time I cruise…usually on disembarkation day…late that afternoon, or the next day.

I always fill it out completely…including the comments sections. Maybe that’s why I keep getting them. Sometimes it feels like I have homework! Multiple choice questions and essays!😂

Due to me doing lots of cruises over the winter on the Anthem, I hear from the crew about my surveys. Usually on the next sailing. Every time I mention a venue, or individual crew member…they subsequently tell me how their supervisors received my comments from upper management and post them on message boards in the crew area. As I understand it, they don’t identify the passenger who submitted the comments by name…so I sort of made it a game by using certain key phrases so they would know it was me. The crew members may receive certain perks for being mentioned in the comments…especially job/position security and consideration for advancement.

Bottom line…I believe the company takes the survey seriously. It’s an important metric in customer satisfaction and continuous product evaluation. I believe they read the comments and forward them…good and bad…to the individual ship and onboard venues. I would urge everyone to send in their comments…good and not so good. They do make a difference.

Tabulated results of your completed cruise survey at some point get forwarded to the hotel directors office of the ship you were on. I’m certain the aggregate of those results are a big influence on the captain and hotel directors bonus at the end of their respective contracts.

If you have identified a crew member on your survey in a positive way; here is what I’ve discovered happens. A copy of your remarks goes into their employee file. I’m sure their immediate supervisor also receives a copy and some sort of pat on the back is given. But also, and probably most importantly in the minds on the crew member; is that they are called down to HR onboard. Certainly another Atta’ Boy is given but there is also a wheel of fortune type device. They get to spin that wheel and win things such as extra shore leave, a cash award, a pair of Air Pods, an Amazon gift card, or similar gifts. IMO this is where the rubber meets the road for recognition on your post cruise survey. (Incidentally, from time to time each ship will have internal incentive competitions between housekeeping sections, dining room teams, or sections of the gallys which the winners get called down to HR to take their chance at spinning the wheel)

During the comeback I gave Royal the benefit of the doubt. On my surveys I told them what they wanted to hear and gave them 10’s on everything. I also used my signature Identify An Outstanding Crew Member That Not One Single Passenger Would Ever Think Of Selecting on every sailing. Often telling the hotel director personally what I was up to so they would keep an eye out for it. I felt good about  supporting a company I feel strongly about.

Last week after my 4 nighter on Independence, the gloves came off and I let them have it. No longer caring about the impact of COVID or if someone with stripes gets their bonus. I’ll be this way going forward if warranted.

17 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

I believe 2 things from my multiple interactions and discussions with crew this year.

1. Your specific comments by crew name in the large box towards the end of the survey are pull and placed in a document that is posted on that crew members department bulletin board.  They like them.

2. They, the crew are not supposed to be asking for good ratings on the survey.  It is highly discouraged at the management level.  That is the purpose of the survey question ask if any crew member has solicited a rating from you and what department they were from.

In 10 cruises since start up I have only had it mentioned to me twice now and both time from the MDR.

I have no problem rating each item as I precieve it and provide a reason for a low score in the comments block.

Also I always name those that go a little above expected service by name.

Just wondering  if the crew members get in trouble if you say on the survey that they asked for a high rating, or does RCL expect them to ask.

17 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

11 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

My experience exactly. 

The staff in specialty restaurants have begun stumping for the survey (even at JR Breakfast)!

Mention it to me once and I'll let it pass, on the 2nd time from the same person I will politely say "my score will be very low if i hear about the survey again"

I'm glad they've quit bugging me about it.

4 hours ago, Karen C said:

Just wondering  if the crew members get in trouble if you say on the survey that they asked for a high rating, or does RCL expect them to ask.

My impression from the crew i have talked to, at least on the ships Ive been on it that asking for high survey ratings is discouraged.  I do know that it seems that Corporate seems to give each ship lots of leeway on how they do things, so it may be different on different ships.

• 7 months later...

My waiter said that the ratings of food and staff are linked because it was his job to make sure that you enjoyed your food or corrected the problem.  Interesting.  What if all the food was not up to par?  But the crew was amazing?  They use these ratings to promote, recognize, and allow crew to climb the ladder.  I am not under the impression that it is to correct food quality.  I fill out the survey with that in mind and not thinking that it will improve any area that was deficient.  If I loved the crew, they get high ratings.  

• 7 months later...

Do not sail with Royal Caribbean.  I am so frustrated with Royal Caribbean. We went on a cruise in April,when my husband and I or departing my husband noticed he had left his prescription glasses in our cabin. The staff would not let us go back to our cabin.  We were informed that we needed to file a report through chargeback.  Please understand we were still on the ship but they just wanted us to depart. We have done everything we we told to do and have called several times and nothing seems to be getting resolved. My husband has offered to go to the warehouse and look for his glasses which we have been told he cannot do. We were at one time told that if we provided a receipt for what we paid for his glasses they would give us 60% of what we paid for the glasses. Now we’re told they’re only giving us $50. This is not acceptable when we have done everything we were told to do And we paid over $1900 for the two pair of prescription glasses one of the frames is a Maui Jim and the other ones are Oakley’s. I would love for someone to help us on this matter.  This is not acceptable. 

On 9/13/2023 at 10:08 AM, Dstyska said:

Do not sail with Royal Caribbean.  I am so frustrated with Royal Caribbean. We went on a cruise in April,when my husband and I or departing my husband noticed he had left his prescription glasses in our cabin. The staff would not let us go back to our cabin.  We were informed that we needed to file a report through chargeback.  Please understand we were still on the ship but they just wanted us to depart. We have done everything we we told to do and have called several times and nothing seems to be getting resolved. My husband has offered to go to the warehouse and look for his glasses which we have been told he cannot do. We were at one time told that if we provided a receipt for what we paid for his glasses they would give us 60% of what we paid for the glasses. Now we’re told they’re only giving us $50. This is not acceptable when we have done everything we were told to do And we paid over $1900 for the two pair of prescription glasses one of the frames is a Maui Jim and the other ones are Oakley’s. I would love for someone to help us on this matter.  This is not acceptable. 

Always check your room to make sure you got all your stuff. Especially very expensive stuff.

My last waiter ..who was quite bad asked me twice to rate him out of 10..and then waited for the answer. It was awkward I tol him he was a 10 just so he would buzz off. Didn't stop him asking again though.

I find the survey prompt and the almost begging for a 10 to be uncomfortable and it shows how much pressure they are under to get top marks.

Originally I was going to give him a low score reflective of his service but then I felt bad so ended up giving him a 10. I don't want to be part of the reason he looses his job, but at the same time I shouldn't have felt guilty about filling in a standard feedback form.

2 hours ago, gavvy said:

My last waiter ..who was quite bad asked me twice to rate him out of 10..and then waited for the answer. It was awkward I tol him he was a 10 just so he would buzz off. Didn't stop him asking again though.

I find the survey prompt and the almost begging for a 10 to be uncomfortable and it shows how much pressure they are under to get top marks.

Originally I was going to give him a low score reflective of his service but then I felt bad so ended up giving him a 10. I don't want to be part of the reason he looses his job, but at the same time I shouldn't have felt guilty about filling in a standard feedback form.

Ask him what he got last week!  If it’s less than 10 he’s on his way to retraining if you give him less than 10 as well.  I think it’s close to a  “3 strikes you’re on probation” or out” type of system

9 hours ago, gavvy said:

You end up being part of the reason the next set of cruisers have to endure a lower level of service then.

I take this posture.  I don't have to say anything, but if I say something, it needs to be the truth.