The Key

New to cruising. I bought “the key” thinking it would be nice for my up coming 4 night cruise in June on Independence. I missed the early check in option not knowing and am checking in at 12:30pm. I see the welcome lunch is only open until 1:30pm.  I am guessing more than likely I’ll miss the welcome chops lunch. Is it still worth getting “the key” or should I cancel and get a refund. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I personally don't think the Key is worth it. However, with the Key you get priority boarding, so you can show up at 11:30 and thus not miss the welcome lunch.

Can I show up at 11:30 even if my reserved time is 12:30?

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

7 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes, priority boarding is one of the only true perks of the Key. 

So regardless of my 12:30 scheduled boarding I did thru the app. I can still show up at 11:30am and board early. I’ll keep it if it’s the case and I can still eat the Chops lunch. Getting the chops lunch and the extra breakfast the departure day with the additional voom internet seems worth it. 

14 hours ago, gakarl said:

New to cruising. I bought “the key” thinking it would be nice for my up coming 4 night cruise in June on Independence. I missed the early check in option not knowing and am checking in at 12:30pm. I see the welcome lunch is only open until 1:30pm.  I am guessing more than likely I’ll miss the welcome chops lunch. Is it still worth getting “the key” or should I cancel and get a refund. 

Since we just received our Key email yesterday, I thought I would share in case it helps:

Dear Guest,

We're excited to welcome you onboard soon! Before you set sail, we wanted to remind you of the benefits that come with The Key program.

Here's what you can expect on your upcoming sailing:

• Early access at the terminal.*
  • Drop off your carry-on luggage in the Main Dining Room on Deck 3 by 2:00 PM - your carry-on luggage will be hand delivered to your stateroom.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu (open from 12:00pm - 1:30pm). We recommend arriving to the terminal no later than 11:30 AM for you to have enough time to enjoy lunch with us!
  • Private time at some of our onboard activities such as rock climbing, FlowRider, etc.
  • Priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports.
  • Early access at shows in the Main Theater on Deck 4, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!
  • VOOM Surf & Stream package, now including high speed internet, for one device (1 package per guest).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy a private á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*Please arrive at the terminal at 11:30 AM. If you are not able to make the early access window, you should arrive within your appointment time and will receive priority access into the terminal.

Lastly, when you arrive to the port for your sailing, please locate The Key signage for priority access into the terminal and make your way onto the ship.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Harmony of the Seas in the coming days!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

8 minutes ago, gakarl said:

So regardless of my 12:30 scheduled boarding I did thru the app. I can still show up at 11:30am and board early. I’ll keep it if it’s the case and I can still eat the Chops lunch. Getting the chops lunch and the extra breakfast the departure day with the additional voom internet seems worth it. 

Yep. There will be a special line that says the Key and you will be processed through there. 

My wife and i always buy the key and find good value in it. I'd keep it for the 4 nighter so you can try it for yourself and see if you like it. If you plan to buy wifi anyways then might as well upgrade to the key, especially if you get it during a cruise planner sale. If you check in at 12:30 (i'd go at 12:15) you will be on the ship by 12:45 with the Key priority boarding and have no problem making lunch. We were on indy in February, checked in at 11:30 and walked straight on. 

I recently purchased the Key for a 3-night sailing on Freedom after reading all of the reviews and seeing how so many said it wasn't worth it.  I was planning on purchasing internet anyway.  There were two of us in the cabin.  I got the key at a discount, paying $21.99 per day.  Internet was $20.99 per day for 1 and $25.99 per day for 2 people.

We figured the key cost us an extra $27 pp more ($132 for the Key for 2 people vs. $78 for internet).  That was worth the Chops lunch, delivery of carry-on, priority boarding and embarkation.

In our case, I felt the Key was 100% worth it!  It was great to have priority check1in at 11AM (it didn't matter the check-in time you got because the Key folks all boarded starting at 11AM).  It was nice to go to the MDR for lunch and not fight the Windjammer with all of the people.  Having luggage delivered directly to your room was an added bonus and it was in our room when the rooms were available at 1PM.

Choice departure time and breakfast in the MDR was very nice since again, we didn't have to deal with the crowded Windjammer.  We walked off the ship at 9:30AM since we had late flights.

I would 100% do it again IF I was on a 3-night sailing AND it was only for 2 people AND it was on-sale.

I do not think it is worth it for a 7-night sailing because the perks just aren't good enough to warrant the price.

24 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

I recently purchased the Key for a 3-night sailing on Freedom after reading all of the reviews and seeing how so many said it wasn't worth it.  I was planning on purchasing internet anyway.  There were two of us in the cabin.  I got the key at a discount, paying $21.99 per day.  Internet was $20.99 per day for 1 and $25.99 per day for 2 people.

We figured the key cost us an extra $27 pp more ($132 for the Key for 2 people vs. $78 for internet).  That was worth the Chops lunch, delivery of carry-on, priority boarding and embarkation.

In our case, I felt the Key was 100% worth it!  It was great to have priority check1in at 11AM (it didn't matter the check-in time you got because the Key folks all boarded starting at 11AM).  It was nice to go to the MDR for lunch and not fight the Windjammer with all of the people.  Having luggage delivered directly to your room was an added bonus and it was in our room when the rooms were available at 1PM.

Choice departure time and breakfast in the MDR was very nice since again, we didn't have to deal with the crowded Windjammer.  We walked off the ship at 9:30AM since we had late flights.

I would 100% do it again IF I was on a 3-night sailing AND it was only for 2 people AND it was on-sale.

I do not think it is worth it for a 7-night sailing because the perks just aren't good enough to warrant the price.

Good to know ! Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hi I just wanted to comment on buying the key. I always buy it gor my husband and myself.  I wait till I get 30% off and save more money than just the cost of WIFI. I love the early check in and having the extra perks. Fir me it's having no hassle first day by relaxing with lunch at chops grill. Great start to our vacation! The last day we all hate getting up early and rushing! Then having to fight the crowd to just get a table in Windjammer. So I get to go to the dinning room and have a nice sit down meal nice relaxed meal with great server's. To me that's a great end to a wonderful vacation.  So sometimes your time is well worth abit more money if you get off ship when you are ready and not hustled in line with everyone else getting off. So for me in the long run we'll worth it.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, gakarl said:

I'm going to be the odd person out and say sometimes the Key is worth it.  Especially if you are not in a suite, not Diamond or above, and if the Voom S&S price is close in price. I think you just have to do the math. 

I love having the priority boarding and the Welcome Lunch is very nice.  And if you're on a full ship with popular shows/entertainment, getting VIP seats is nice as well. 

As far as your check-in time, I would attempt to get there earlier (like say 12pm) and tell them you have the Key.  You may just go right in and bypass everyone else so you could easily make the lunch. 

On 5/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, gakarl said:

we always buy the key and enjoy it. You will get an email a couple weeks before embarkation that you can check in early with the key. Its usually around 11:00

We weren't planning on purchasing the key for our upcoming Mariner cruise after having a less than great experience with the Key on Wonder, but the sale price w the was an amazing $14.99, $5 less than surf and stream alone. I think it was a mistake because the sale price went back to $22.99 a day later. We haven't had the Key when sailing out of Port Canaveral. Does anyone know if Diamond or the Key boards first? We have a really early 10:30 boarding time anyway, so I'm just trying to figure out which line to get into once we get to the terminal. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Rosebud11 said:

Hi I just wanted to comment on buying the key. I always buy it gor my husband and myself.  I wait till I get 30% off and save more money than just the cost of WIFI. I love the early check in and having the extra perks. Fir me it's having no hassle first day by relaxing with lunch at chops grill. Great start to our vacation! The last day we all hate getting up early and rushing! Then having to fight the crowd to just get a table in Windjammer. So I get to go to the dinning room and have a nice sit down meal nice relaxed meal with great server's. To me that's a great end to a wonderful vacation.  So sometimes your time is well worth abit more money if you get off ship when you are ready and not hustled in line with everyone else getting off. So for me in the long run we'll worth it.

We are the same way!  It is WELL worth it for us.

We’re on the IOTS right now and I bought the key because it was $2 more a day than the Surf & Stream during a sale. If you’re going to buy the internet package it’s definitely worth upgrading to the Key. We bypassed a long line at the Port to Security and checking in. Right on the Ship and straight to lunch after dropping off our carryons. So far that has been the best perks we used.  We also had priority seats at the shows, but the theater was only half full so that’s not really a big deal. I’m waiting to see about disembarking with Key if that adds any value 

I am sure plenty of people have stated the Key only has value if it is a couple of dollars more than internet. It seems like on the smaller ships this is an option.

Internet on my Nov Harmony sailing is $11.99/day while the Key is $32/day. I got internet for my Nov Odyssey sailing during a BF sale and it was $16/day while the Key at its cheaper was $26/day, it is now $35/day.

I noticed on Nav the Key/suites/pinnacle/D+ seating was in the balcony and the reserved times for FlowRider and slides were all 8/9 in the morning. To me the Key is only worth it if you don't have status and can utilize all the perks.

1 hour ago, RCLblue10 said:

For me on HOTS * day sail date 1/21/23 the info is :  Key cost $495.84 vs internet $335.84  for 2 people.

I am waiting and watching - your opinions?

Personally, I'd skip it.  I don't think there's $163 extra in value to the Key (and I like it, for the right price.  That price, to me, is under $20 pppd).

13 hours ago, SewerUrchin43 said:

We’re on the IOTS right now and I bought the key because it was $2 more a day than the Surf & Stream during a sale. If you’re going to buy the internet package it’s definitely worth upgrading to the Key. We bypassed a long line at the Port to Security and checking in. Right on the Ship and straight to lunch after dropping off our carryons. So far that has been the best perks we used.  We also had priority seats at the shows, but the theater was only half full so that’s not really a big deal. I’m waiting to see about disembarking with Key if that adds any value 

When you disembark, the Key luggage is in a separate place from all the others making it easier/faster to get your luggage.  That was way better!!

• 1 month later...

My family and I always purchase the key now and believe it is worth it. Will be using on our Nov 27th sailing for Oasis - first time we are going on that ship class.

Getting to the terminal earlier and having priority boarding with our carry on bags delivered and a lunch served without fighting for tables at the buffet adds to the relaxation of starting our cruises. I went with a group of 8 friends in Jan 2020 and all got the key as well. My friends thought it was very much worth it, including the departure breakfast which allowed us to leaving the ship at one of the latest times - better for afternoon flights (kills time). Did make a difference for show seats and reservations. Enjoyed the private rock climbing time too - no one was there so we got to keep using it..!!

Mrs Fan is sold on the Key. We had boarding issues in Boston (well documented in another thread) and I was not sure about it.  Getting off the ship was a snap though. We finished our breakfast and we just walked over to the Key rep waiting at the entrance of the MDR, she walked us to the Customs agent and we were off. Less than 5 minutes. We bypassed long lines that snaked around the halls and stairs. 

Since it is discussed here frequently, I asked our Key breakfast mates (2 other couples) if they felt that the Key was worth it.  All agreed that it was if you got it priced right. Anything under $25 seems to be the sweet spot. 

7 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

Mrs Fan is sold on the Key. We had boarding issues in Boston (well documented in another thread) and I was not sure about it.  Getting off the ship was a snap though. We finished our breakfast and we just walked over to the Key rep waiting at the entrance of the MDR, she walked us to the Customs agent and we were off. Less than 5 minutes. We bypassed long lines that snaked around the halls and stairs. 

Since it is discussed here frequently, I asked our Key breakfast mates (2 other couples) if they felt that the Key was worth it.  All agreed that it was if you got it priced right. Anything under $25 seems to be the sweet spot. 

We are big fans too.  Embarking in a "special group", being able to drop off carry-ons, and a more relaxed disembarkation is actually a big help for my wife and I as she has some mobility issues.  The lunch after boarding is also a good benefit for us for the same reasons and my wife does not have to fight in lines or for a place to sit in the buffet.  Also, not having to rush to shows and looking for a seat is good for us too.  For us as a couple, it works, and I am usually able to get it for about $22-$25.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

Personally, I'd skip it.  I don't think there's $163 extra in value to the Key (and I like it, for the right price.  That price, to me, is under $20 pppd).

I wish RCL would add a few simple things to the Key. Maybe a drink coupon for each person. A 6 pack of bottled water in your room. A mimosa at the breakfast. Anyway, they would be niceties that would add value and not cost RCL that much. 

13 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

I wish RCL would add a few simple things to the Key. Maybe a drink coupon for each person. A 6 pack of bottled water in your room. A mimosa at the breakfast. Anyway, they would be niceties that would add value and not cost RCL that much. 

Agreed.  A few more things that match the "Per Day" pricing methodology when the only per day benefit is the internet.  I think they could get more sales of it if they did.  Currently, to match all of the benefits a person would generally need to intend on seeing the shows and have intention to use the the dedicated times.  Where my kids wouldn't get a mimosa, they will climb the rock wall etc.

Of course more benefits mean more cost.  No way around it...