Ovation of the Seas Grand Suite Royal Up

Currently booked in a one bedroom Grand Suite on deck 12 on Ovation of the Seas (Alaska cruise). Received the Royal Up email and considering whether it’s worth bidding on an Owner’s Loft or Grand Loft Suite. Pros/cons/opinions? Any additional information about a Grand Suite vs. Owner’s/Grand Loft Suite is appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

Loft Suites are Star Class, so they will include the service of a Genie, the DBP, UDP, gratuities, and Voom.   If you bid within your comfort level I can see no cons.  Keep in mind that there may not actually be any rooms available, and you will be bidding for two people (so if you bid $1000, for example, you will pay $2000 for the upgrade).

18 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Loft Suites are Star Class, so they will include the service of a Genie, the DBP, UDP, gratuities, and Voom.   

Not all loft suites are Star.  Sky Loft are Sky Class, Grand Loft are Star.

This changed a few years ago with many people dismayed the Sky Loft was not Star.

Just be careful what you bid on relative to what you think you may receive for perks.

One other thing to consider especially on an Alaskan Cruise is your current room facing land or water and what about the upgrade what side of the ship is it on and a much better room?  Since the daylight is much longer we had a chance to upgrade our room on the other side of the ship and we ended up not going for the "sea" side of the ship.  Planning on a lot of balcony enjoyment, when we take this cruise a few weeks! 

21 minutes ago, not easy being green said:

One other thing to consider especially on an Alaskan Cruise is your current room facing land or water and what about the upgrade what side of the ship is it on and a much better room?  Since the daylight is much longer we had a chance to upgrade our room on the other side of the ship and we ended up not going for the "sea" side of the ship.  Planning on a lot of balcony enjoyment, when we take this cruise a few weeks! 

Not entirely sure what this means.  If I am not mistaken, Alaskan cruise ships travel the inside passage towards Juneau and further north.  This means that either port or starboard sides have land AND sea views.  Also, the captains of these ships usually turn the ship at least 180 degrees so that both sides can see most of the scenery.  Am I wrong?

10 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Not entirely sure what this means.  If I am not mistaken, Alaskan cruise ships travel the inside passage towards Juneau and further north.  This means that either port or starboard sides have land AND sea views.  Also, the captains of these ships usually turn the ship at least 180 degrees so that both sides can see most of the scenery.  Am I wrong?

If the cruise is a north or southbound trip it might have a land or a sea view side, but if it is a roundtrip from Vancouver or Seattle it doesn't matter at all, because you'll have one view on one way and the other on the way back.

10 minutes ago, Carlos A. said:

If the cruise is a north or southbound trip it might have a land or a sea view side, but if it is a roundtrip from Vancouver or Seattle it doesn't matter at all, because you'll have one view on one way and the other on the way back.

Right.  I understand that.  But what I am saying is that approaching Alaska, you enter into a strait.  This means there will be land masses on the left and right.  This also means you will see water on the left and right.  

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

Right.  I understand that.  But what I am saying is that approaching Alaska, you enter into a strait.  This means there will be land masses on the left and right.  This also means you will see water on the left and right.  

In that part of the cruise yes, you're right.

7 minutes ago, not easy being green said:

I was not trying to confuse anyone, I apologize if I did.  

No apologies necessary.  I think Matt and others have commented that for Alaskan cruises, it really doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on because you will get sweeping views either way.  You offered an opinion and it may have helped the OP.  I was just offering a bigger picture (no pun intended) view of why and how it matters specifically for Alaskan cruises.  

5 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Not to be the negative one here, But I have taken many Alaskan cruises.  And rarely is it warm enough to sit out on balcony.  Air from glaciers make it cold especially if there is any wind.   I have had some nice warm Alaska cruises, but not really pool or balcony weather.  They hand out blankets when you  are outside often.   But it is a scenic cruise.  I lived in Seattle for 25 years, and they scenery was very like the San Juan Islands and places up in Vancouver which I often traveled.  Enjoy your cruise!   It will be wonderful no matter what!