Is "surf" internet enough to do a COVID test via video call while onboard

We will be doing an Alaska cruise in a few weeks, disembarking in Vancouver and then flying back to the US. In order to fly back to the US we need to do a COVID test no more than one day prior to the flight, which would be the last full day of the cruise, which is a sea day. We have the surf internet package. Will that be enough to do a video call without buffering or being really choppy?

The other option is to test either at the Vancouver airport or the cruise terminal when we get off the ship. But, of course, that option is more expensive. I don't want to buy and bring test kits only to find out we can't make a video call from the ship, with the "surf" internet. 

Has anyone been able to do a video call from the ship with just the basic surf internet?

Internet on Alaskan cruises are terrible to begin with, the farther north you are the worse it gets.  But why don't you test in your room the morning that you disembark? It only takes about 20 minutes.  Then you can just use cell service and not worry about it.  If you insist on doing it the day before (and I don't see why you wouldn't just do it the morning of your flight), then I wouldn't rely on regular surf.  But I really wouldn't rely on Voom of any kind on an Alaskan cruise, especially the older ships.

Not knowing what sort of travel insurance you have, I'd agree with SpeedNoodles to test on the ship.  If you test positive (unlikely thought it may be), you'll want to report the situation to Royal so that they provide assistance to you.  If you disembark and test at the airport, you are out of their protection and governed by whatever travel insurance you may have.  I think you may want maximum protection if you test positive.  Just a thought....

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Not knowing what sort of travel insurance you have, I'd agree with SpeedNoodles to test on the ship.  If you test positive (unlikely thought it may be), you'll want to report the situation to Royal so that they provide assistance to you.  If you disembark and test at the airport, you are out of their protection and governed by whatever travel insurance you may have.  I think you may want maximum protection if you test positive.  Just a thought....

I do not think they provide assistance anymore.  Didn't that end April 30th?

10 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I do not think they provide assistance anymore.  Didn't that end April 30th?

All I know is what I read on one of their sites about providing assistance, plus the reports of recent travelers.

PS. On their "we'll get you home icon", there is a footnote, which may be want you were commenting on:

^Last modified April 29, 2022. Subject to change. Royal Caribbean will coordinate and assist with the costs of shoreside accommodations for isolation for guests who have fully complied with all Royal Caribbean International and Royal Caribbean Group COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of voyage. Please note that homeports may have different local isolation requirements and restrictions. Additional terms and conditions may apply. See our COVID-19 Refund and Cancellations Policy  and your Cruise Ticket Contract for details. "Traveling Party" means (1) your family members living with you in the same household and (2) traveling companions assigned to your stateroom on the ship. Our CareTeam will assist with daily wellbeing check-ins, and support to reschedule return travel home."