What happens when the cruise ends in Puerto Rico??

Byrnezy70

Hi apologies in advance I am totally new to this and have never been on a cruise in my life!!! Excited doesn't begin to cover it. Myself and my husband are sailing on the Adventure of the Seas 11th March, we arrive back in Puerto Rico early morning on the 18th but our flight back to the UK is not until 6pm. What time do we gave to be off the ship and any ideas what to do for the day? we'd like to explore San Juan but is there anywhere we can leave cases etc? There are a couple of excursions where they incorporate airport drop off and case storage but these would still drop us at the airport far too early, is there much to do in the area around San Juan airport?

Apologies for all the questions

Guest toodle68

We were asked to be out of our rooms by 8am and they would pretty much like you off the ship before 10..

This thread is old, but still appears to have good information..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147320-i72-k4915920-San_Juan_Luggage_Storage-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Including tours and restaurants that have free bag storage..

http://www.barrachina.com/#servicios

I booked a shore excursion through the ship, very cheap, less than 40 per person.

When the cruise is over they send you on a tour of old San Juan and the forts, with your bags safe in the bus.

Afterwards they drop you and your bags off at the airport.

When we considered our down time and the cost for transportation to the airport it worked out perfect for us.

If you're flying down early, ask at the hotel if you can drop the bags off for a few hours after your return from the cruise.  Most places will happily oblige since you're a customer.  We stayed at this 'boutique' hotel in Old San Juan where they offered to let us store an unneeded bag there for the week while on the cruise.

I did the post-cruise El Yunque Rainforest tour when I was in the exact same circumstance (late flight).  It was perfect because it provided me with bag storage as well as airport transport as part of the package.  That was a value right there, plus I still got a half-day experiencing the amazing rain forest.  Royal Caribbean will usually offer 3-4 post cruise excursions, all of which generally include an airport dropoff option.  The one Jerel mentioned is a tour of Old San Juan and is great as well.  I believe the el Yunque is the longest of the excursions, but still gets you to the SJU airport by 1:00-2:00 in the afternoon.

A side note: I know when I was there, the Sheraton Old San Juan seemed to have an entire ballroom set up as a giant bag check area.  I don't know if that was only a courtesy for hotel guests, or a GREAT service and way to make a few extra bucks.  Maybe both.  I'd give them a call and see if you could drop bags there while you spend the day in Old San Juan.  It'll be a short cab ride from the cruise pier and it would be a perfect  jumping off point for a day of exploration.  Explore Old San Juan for as much time as you have, then stop back, pick up your bags, and catch a cab to the airport.