Ideas for Greece, Montenegro and Croatia

baltodave

Hi Everyone,

We (3 adults) are taking Rhapsody July 25 - August 1 with 3 stops in Greece (Mykonos, Crete and Zakynthos), 1 stop in Kotor, Montenegro and 1 stop in Split, Croatia. The cruise ends in Ravenna, Italy and I've already arranged a ride to Venice (BTW, we have room if anyone wants to join us there).

We've done plenty of cruises in the Caribbean but we are newbies when it comes to Europe.  Does anyone have ideas/hints for excursions?  Should we stick with RC's excursions (which tend to be pricey) or are there plenty of 3rd-party options (either in advance or at the ports)?

Thanks!

I'm also doing this exact itinerary but a month before you! From what I've read, the ports are walkable enough in the city centers that an excursion is not totally necessary if you just want to wander around the historic city center. There are also beaches nearby which can be accessed through a taxi (or walking I think). I plan on spending most days exploring the towns, walking along the waterfront, eating a nice Mediterranean lunch, and maybe heading to a beach.

In Kotor, for example, I plan to walk around the historic town and then do a short hike to the Castle of San Giovanni for amazing views of the town/fjord.

However, if you want to do something specific or go to a particular part of the island, a tour might be a good idea. In Zakynthos there is a popular beach with a shipwreck on it that many tours go to. I saw some reasonable prices on RC's website for some of the ports, but you can also look at Viator or Tripadvisor for more ideas/tour options!

I will be writing a live blog of this exact itinerary on the Royal Caribbean Blog website during my trip, so you can always gather ideas there too. 🙂

18 minutes ago, JennaRCB said:

I'm also doing this exact itinerary but a month before you! From what I've read, the ports are walkable enough in the city centers that an excursion is not totally necessary if you just want to wander around the historic city center. There are also beaches nearby which can be accessed through a taxi (or walking I think). I plan on spending most days exploring the towns, walking along the waterfront, eating a nice Mediterranean lunch, and maybe heading to a beach.

In Kotor, for example, I plan to walk around the historic town and then do a short hike to the Castle of San Giovanni for amazing views of the town/fjord.

However, if you want to do something specific or go to a particular part of the island, a tour might be a good idea. In Zakynthos there is a popular beach with a shipwreck on it that many tours go to. I saw some reasonable prices on RC's website for some of the ports, but you can also look at Viator or Tripadvisor for more ideas/tour options!

I will be writing a live blog of this exact itinerary on the Royal Caribbean Blog website during my trip, so you can always gather ideas there too. 🙂

Awesome!  I look forward to seeing your live blog.  

We did Croatia and Montenegro by RV. Both Kotor and Split are easily walkable. Just get in town and walk around. Not sure about Montenegro as we parked directly in the city, but you can use Uber in Croatia if your ship is far out from the city. Usually Uber are normal taxis but you save the hassle of ordering and paying them.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2022 at 10:59 AM, JennaRCB said:

Hi @JennaRCB!  Have you gone on that cruise yet?  Ours is a month from now and wanted to see if you have any advice.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 10:59 AM, JennaRCB said:

Thank  you so much for your blogs!  We are going on the exact cruise, departing on July 25.   Your blogs have had so much information!   Not only did I read every one but I've printed them out to re-read them on the long flight to Athens.

@Matt - Should her blogs be moved to the "Live Blogs" section?

On 7/5/2022 at 3:50 AM, baltodave said:

Thank  you so much for your blogs!  We are going on the exact cruise, departing on July 25.   Your blogs have had so much information!   Not only did I read every one but I've printed them out to re-read them on the long flight to Athens.

@Matt - Should her blogs be moved to the "Live Blogs" section?

Glad you enjoyed them! Hope you have a nice cruise!

On 5/16/2022 at 7:25 AM, baltodave said:

Hi Everyone,

We (3 adults) are taking Rhapsody July 25 - August 1 with 3 stops in Greece (Mykonos, Crete and Zakynthos), 1 stop in Kotor, Montenegro and 1 stop in Split, Croatia. The cruise ends in Ravenna, Italy and I've already arranged a ride to Venice (BTW, we have room if anyone wants to join us there).

We've done plenty of cruises in the Caribbean but we are newbies when it comes to Europe.  Does anyone have ideas/hints for excursions?  Should we stick with RC's excursions (which tend to be pricey) or are there plenty of 3rd-party options (either in advance or at the ports)?

Thanks!

We were just through that area -  one pleasant surprise, eating and shopping at the local places is very reasonable.  In fact we thought the price value was better than what we have in the states at this time.  Also, the Euro dropped and is very close to the Dollar.

• 3 weeks later...