What time to book a flight home after cruise ends?

Candle555

We are booked on a cruise on Harmony of the Seas on May 13, 2017.  We always do express walk off when the cruise ends.  Usually we are at the Ft. Lauderdale airport by 9:00 or so.  I have always booked the flight home after noon which usually ends up being 1:00 or 1:30 pm.  I hate just sitting at the airport for hours.  This next cruise there is a flight home at 10:40 am.  Do you think we should go for it this time?  Has anyone booked a flight before noon to fly back home?

I always use the Luggage Valet option (I know this option is disappearing at some locations....boooooo.....) and you must have a flight later than noon to use that option so I have always had afternoon flights.

...but I think, from your experience, if you do the express walk-off and you have always arrived at the airport in plenty of time, I would probably risk a flight departing at 10:40...but certainly no earlier than that.

I always use the Luggage Valet option (I know this option is disappearing at some locations....boooooo.....) and you must have a flight later than noon to use that option so I have always had afternoon flights.

...but I think, from your experience, if you do the express walk-off and you have always arrived at the airport in plenty of time, I would probably risk a flight departing at 10:40...but certainly no earlier than that.

I enjoy using Luggage Valet as well.  Do you know if it still available in Ft. Lauderdale?  Thanks!

We are booked on a cruise on Harmony of the Seas on May 13, 2017.  We always do express walk off when the cruise ends.  Usually we are at the Ft. Lauderdale airport by 9:00 or so.  I have always booked the flight home after noon which usually ends up being 1:00 or 1:30 pm.  I hate just sitting at the airport for hours.  This next cruise there is a flight home at 10:40 am.  Do you think we should go for it this time?  Has anyone booked a flight before noon to fly back home?

Hello and welcome to Royal Caribbean Blog! We are on the same sailing with you.

Our flight back to DFW leaves at 12:15. Really really hoping that luggage valet is still on option. It was no longer available on our Jan Indy cruise. :(

Hope to see you on the ship.

Thanks everyone but I decided to book the 1:40 p.m. flight back to Boston. I know we'll be at the airport early as we always are, but I guess I shouldn't chance it.

It should lead to a more relaxed disembarkation especially if there are any delays.

If you're going to book that early I'd suggest make sure you have trip insurance that covers missed flights/flight changes. Or just book a later flight.

In October, our ship was late getting back to port because two nights prior, after we left Cozumel, we had to turn back for a guest who had a medical emergency to get to the hospital. As result, the ship didn't get back to port until 11 AM. People with early flights and no trip insurance (or trip insurance that didn't cover the flight portion) were really stuck and some had to spend a lot of money to rebook. We were relaxed--we had a later flight and we had trip insurance. Clearly this isn't something that happens often, but it illustrates how it's better to be covered.

Guest toodle68

If there is one thing that stresses me out on a vacation, it is having to rush anywhere.. I would rather sit in an airport for 2 hours than be stressed all morning about every delay and watching the clock. 

If you're going to book that early I'd suggest make sure you have trip insurance that covers missed flights/flight changes. Or just book a later flight.

My best guess is that the trip insurance will only cover the missed flight if it is a flight booked AFTER the recommended flight departure times provided by the cruise line, which Royal provides for each port.

You can find the information here:. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport

My best guess is that the trip insurance will only cover the missed flight if it is a flight booked AFTER the recommended flight departure times provided by the cruise line, which Royal provides for each port.

You can find the information here:. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport

Kris, that link isn't working for some reason. Says the page is no longer available. I tried looking through the site's regular links for planning, customer support, etc., but it seems that they're now heavily promoting their Air2Sea service for flight booking and not giving information for those who still want to self-reserve their flights.

Kris, that link isn't working for some reason. Says the page is no longer available. I tried looking through the site's regular links for planning, customer support, etc., but it seems that they're now heavily promoting their Air2Sea service for flight booking and not giving information for those who still want to self-reserve their flights.

If you Google "Royal Caribbean Fort Lauderdale Flight Departure Times" it should take you to Royal's FAQ webpage where you can enter flight details and it should provide a recommended flight time. I've used this page for all of my flight planning for past European cruises.