Seattle/Vancouver Amtrak train restart delayed until December

I recently took the Amtrak bus offered in lieu of the train from Vancouver to Seattle.  The Amtrak bus is outsourced to Cantrails and just recently started service.  Just a few weeks ago the protocols on both sides made even a bus impossible to operate cross border.

Originally the train was suspended for COVID reasons.  Between the two countries the protocols made it impossible to crew the train particularly back when Canada required tests to enter the country.  This included testing all the crew on the train for each crossing.  It was all they could to get a bus with a single driver approved by both countries.

Now that borders are easing it still requires that each crew member do ArriveCAN to enter Canada so it's not so simple.  Plus, according to our bus driver. while the equipment and rails belong to Amtrak (the US portion) the actual crew on the train were subcontracted to VIA Rail so the crew operating the Amtrak train were Canadian (pre-pandemic).

Now that train service is becoming remotely possible with improved protocols on both sides of the border, it remains a challenge to return to the days of subcontracting the operation of the Amtrak Cascades train to VIA Rail.  Amtrak may be getting infrastructure funds from the current administration so they may not be able to use Canadian crews now.  Amtrak has been posting job openings in Seattle but if they are now going to staff it with Americans it's very different with different unions involved.  So not so simple as just recalling the old crew, they are building a team from scratch.

I'm planning to change my flight from Vancouver to Seattle just to avoid the need for yet another test. I guess this train isn't an option.

The Quick Bus from the terminal is half the price as a rental car (and no need to go to the airport first to get it) so I think we'll go there.

Unless we can bum a ride with Matt!

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm planning to change my flight from Vancouver to Seattle just to avoid the need for yet another test. I guess this train isn't an option.

The Quick Bus from the terminal is half the price as a rental car (and no need to go to the airport first to get it) so I think we'll go there.

Unless we can bum a ride with Matt!

Our Cantrails bus driver was jokingly poking fun at Quick Bus.  Apparently some of their runs involve multiple stops at hotels or different cities.  AKA milk runs.  Make sure you research what you are booking.

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

Our Cantrails bus driver was jokingly poking fun at Quick Bus.  Apparently some of their runs involve multiple stops at hotels or different cities.  AKA milk runs.  Make sure you research what you are booking.

I saw that. I'll sacrifice the "local" feel of Quick Bus for the convenience of point to point delivery to SEA.