Staffing Issues Query

9 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I am in no way saying that the cruise lines shouldn't be transparent. I work hard for said money that is going towards a cruise, vacation, meal experience etc.  But I have to say it is a 50/50 thing.

I don't think any way RCG isn't being as transparent as they could be. They have no control over human error and covid/accidents are just that. I believe they have every intention to have NorthStar up, shows running and full dining experiences. But they can't control when crew members get sick or hurt or whether or not they will get the supply of Kraken (which imho isn't the best rum, ymmv) or any other items. I think it is weird how so many people were willing to book cruises at the height of the pandemic, with overwhelming evidence to the contrary, yet expect everything to be smooth sailing now........knowing about supply/staffing issues. 

I am not saying that we should accept all the bad but what I am saying is that I don't think this is false advertising. I don't believe that CCL and NCL are more transparent. I think that what they are is more reactive, they have been sailing above 75% for a while. They have a better blueprint to deal with all the problems. In the end it will still be people upset because sailings will be cancelled, and restaurants won't be opened. 

I do think Royal should be more honest about certain things.  For example, I am taking 3 of my teenagers on Liberty next month for their 1st cruise.  One of the things they were looking forward to was watching outdoor movies.  The movie screen has been broken for almost a year on Liberty, but they still advertise on their website how you can, "Watch a Dive-In Movie on the 220 square foot movie screen".   If they have no intentions of fixing the screen, don't advertise it and get families hopes up.

17 minutes ago, need2cruz said:

The movie screen has been broken for almost a year on Liberty, but they still advertise on their website how you can, "Watch a Dive-In Movie on the 220 square foot movie screen".   If they have no intentions of fixing the screen, don't advertise it and get families hopes up.

This is an excellent example !

Yes, the escape rooms and laser tag were advertised over covid, despite them being closed. I eventually learned through these forums that they were not operational, but not before deciding with my kids to book a sailing on a ship that featured those activities. Needless to say, they were very disappointed that the distinguishing features of the ship we chose would not be offered. And disappointment is not what Royal should be chasing when trying to pull its business back from insolvency. 

Opinion Alert:

I interpret the staffing problem as one of need to get as much $$ back to the investors as RCCL can.  Fixing the issue is easy but very costly to the investors. Don't bring all of the ships back online if you do not have the manpower to do so.

Cutting amenities and services along with raising prices dramatically and trying to put every ship back in to service (Including the Mega $$$$ Wonder) was their answer.

I’m on Harmony now. I’m not noticing too much staff shortage although we are in a suite and eating meals in CK and Specialty. When we are out and about the ship, there are enough staff that I can see. 

I will admit that I’m disappointed there is no Pinot Grigio on the whole ship. None. I had one glass the first night. It’s the only white wine I drink. I’ve had to drink Prosecco. My favorite red wine also is nowhere to be found but there are plenty of decent alternatives. Now thankfully we did not do the drink package this time. Between Diamond drinks and suite drinks, it’s plenty. If I had the package, I’d be disappointed, especially since the prices have really increased. 

Food quality is average but we’re not starving. 

I see both sides. As someone mentioned earlier, we all would have given a kidney to sale in 2020. How soon we forget how desperate/eager we all were. 

On 6/1/2022 at 8:05 AM, Matt said:

In general, I'd agree with you. The issue is the entire service/travel industry is being affected right now. This isn't a Royal Caribbean specific deficiency; it's all companies.

Personally, I file this under the "it is what it is" category of problems and I'd have the same issue if I went to Vegas or some other land resort, so I'll stick with cruising and hope they're going to staff up.

@Matt, you are correct in that this is not just a cruise industry problem. 

My Example is as a Marriott Titanium, staying at a full Marriott, I am entitled to lounge access where pre-covid they served a full breakfast for free, now almost none of them are open again.  They could open the on-site restaurant for breakfast, but not the lounge?? 

Oh wait and now they will no longer service or clean my room daily unless I specifically request it, wait isn't that what I paid for?

Absolutely not just a Cruise industry problem.

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

@Matt, you are correct in that this is not just a cruise industry problem. 

My Example is as a Marriott Titanium, staying at a full Marriott, I am entitled to lounge access where pre-covid they served a full breakfast for free, now almost none of them are open again.  They could open the on-site restaurant for breakfast, but not the lounge?? 

Oh wait and now they will no longer service or clean my room daily unless I specifically request it, wait isn't that what I paid for?

Absolutely not just a Cruise industry problem.

Fully agree that this is a problem everywhere….but in the specific case of Marriott (I am also Titanium with them) their upper tier loyalty perks had started waning even before COVID.  The Concierge lounges had gotten so bad that I quit even trying to book hotels that had them.  Most of the time they were closed and when they were open, the food and drinks were just pathetic.  Honestly, it seems to me that they are trying to phase out this feature.  The old full Marriotts are often old, run down and poorly staffed. They are no longer my first choice, I’m sad to say.

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Fully agree that this is a problem everywhere….but in the specific case of Marriott (I am also Titanium with them) their upper tier loyalty perks had started waning even before COVID.  The Concierge lounges had gotten so bad that I quit even trying to book hotels that had them.  Most of the time they were closed and when they were open, the food and drinks were just pathetic.  Honestly, it seems to me that they are trying to phase out this feature.  The old full Marriotts are often old, run down and poorly staffed. They are no longer my first choice, I’m sad to say.

As an employee of Marriott back in the 60's/70's, I knew J.W.  No, we weren't friends but he would come to Ft. Lauderdale Airport where I worked at the Marriott-In-Flight Service shop (catering the airlines when they actually had real food on them).  He liked the place for some reason.  We were very profitable for him.  He must be turning over in his grave if he knew what was going on with his company, today.  I bet Walt is doing the same.

12 minutes ago, NewRCCruiser22 said:

Why is there NO Pinot Grigio on Harmony? That’s pretty bizarre considering there is a speciality Italian restaurant and it’s a super common white wine variety - did they say?

I asked for Pinot Grigio (danzante is the house brand) at every bar I went to/every show we went to. No Pinot of any kind, anywhere. 

Our waiter in coastal kitchen told me they were trying work through “old stock” before they replenish. That’s a load of BS. 

On 5/16/2022 at 12:35 AM, CruisingNewb said:

I usually have no issues and quite enjoy your input, but my question(s) we’re pretty straightforward. I wanted to know from people “if/when” staffing issues were going to be handled. Instead, I got what I got. Was not looking for excuses or conjecture because it’s moot at this point. And by “experts” I meant Matt, anyone on the ship now or the past pacific cruise, or anyone who has been in contact with RCCL. Sorry for the ambiguity.

experts? You will get "opinions" based on previous experiences. Honestly how would anybody know how staffing issues will be handled unless that person works for Royal?  Contact head office yourself to get direct answers, to avoid conjecture.  To me staffing is a problem worldwide, including cruise ships .  I noticed it my last cruise on Oasis, but Im going again this month and willing to take the risk of any shortfalls.  Thats just the way it is right now. Take it or leave it. 

@Jillsame with White Zinfandel on the Allure. #CK kept pushing something else that was very harsh saying they needed to get through it. I consumed ginger ale and water. Not much of a drinks person but a sangria or white Zinfandel is my go to when I want to go there. 

It may be my imagination but it definitely feels more or LESS CEO Liberty the numbers guy than experience heavy Fain. Just my humble opinion but I feel the numbers weigh so much heavier then our experience, and I get it they are in debt. But I paid a lot to sail also. 

I just hope Royal understands we are buying memories, not just a vacation. Our best memories as a family are on a Royal Caribbean ship. We understand the situation post-pandemic but folks don’t get those 16th birthdays, 50th anniversaries etc. again. My family has always turned to Royal for those special occasions and I hope they dont lose site of what they are really selling imho. 

5 hours ago, teddy said:

I try to maintain some perspective when things go to shit. 

Things could be worse….

We’re going on a cruise.  People are dying quite regularly in other parts of the world.  

Even right here in the First World, I suspect that before the year is up, we’re going to feel more pain than simply paying more for a cruise than we used to and not getting the level of service we’ve come to expect. 

Parting thoughts….Today diesel is averaging $6.49/gallon in northern New England.  I will be thrilled if the next four cruises we’ve already paid for even sail.  

cruise fares too damn high.jpg