1st night on 1st cruise with Royal…

I recommend reviewing the menu at main dining room on night 1 and start from there.  You can see it on the app under the dining tab.  You may or may not know that night 2 is typically the first formal night at the MDR and its usually a bit more upscale of a menu.  That menu is also available on the app.  So maybe you might want to consider night 1 as first specialty and night 2 in MDR.  

I have heard that solarium has not been open lately for dining, but that may change soon.  However I have never actually eaten there for dinner, so I have no idea how that is.   Same goes for Windjammer.

Lastly, you could always do specialty on both night 1 and night 2 😀 

Great call on formal night being night 2 in MDR!  Don’t want to do 2 specialty in a row, trying to space those out.  Day1 / Night 1 everything will be so overwhelming as this is cruise #1 with Royal so i am guessing specialty is better on night 2 so we have our bearings a little.  What are your thoughts on the hibachi restaurant being available through the 3 night dining pkg?  Matt really promotes this as “cant miss” so we are really rolling the dice that this will still be available once we get on board and can make the reservations.  Looking forward to Chops and Giovanni’s.  If hibachi is no go, I guess Central Park 150 would be nice but kids might not love it [age 18 and 16].  In any event, cant wait!

10 hours ago, Scott_gunerman said:

Bought a 3 night dining pkg, chose night 2 for the first specialty restaurant.  Suggestions for night one - main dining room?  Solarium Bistro [which apparently you need to reserve]?  Something else?  Let me know your thoughts, I know you have some.  TIA!!!

The prime rib in the MDR on night 1 is usually very good.

34 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

The prime rib in the MDR on night 1 is usually very good.

Also, I think dining in the MDR is a good way to start your cruise, especially your first one. Make sure to do the 2nd formal night in the MDR usually night 6 on a 7 night or more cruise. Also known as lobster night. They're not the biggest or best lobster tails you will ever have, but they are all you care to eat!

9 hours ago, Scott_gunerman said:

Great call on formal night being night 2 in MDR!  Don’t want to do 2 specialty in a row, trying to space those out.  Day1 / Night 1 everything will be so overwhelming as this is cruise #1 with Royal so i am guessing specialty is better on night 2 so we have our bearings a little.  What are your thoughts on the hibachi restaurant being available through the 3 night dining pkg?  Matt really promotes this as “cant miss” so we are really rolling the dice that this will still be available once we get on board and can make the reservations.  Looking forward to Chops and Giovanni’s.  If hibachi is no go, I guess Central Park 150 would be nice but kids might not love it [age 18 and 16].  In any event, cant wait!

I've have never done Hibachi, so I cannot comment on its availability when you get on the ship.  While you didn't mention which ship you are on, I assume you are doing Oasis class based on mentioned 150 Central Park.  We dined there for first time in March while on Symphony, and it was terrific.  I would definitely recommend that one.   Also, if Wonderland is available, it is an adventurous and unique dining experience (though may not be popular with picky eaters).

12 hours ago, FManke said:

Also, I think dining in the MDR is a good way to start your cruise, especially your first one. Make sure to do the 2nd formal night in the MDR usually night 6 on a 7 night or more cruise. Also known as lobster night. They're not the biggest or best lobster tails you will ever have, but they are all you care to eat!

Oh yea…you are speaking my language.  Thanks for the tip on a second formal night!