Liberty moving to NJ and then China

Maybe a new (or old) Quantum class will end up in Galveston.

Possibly. If this rumor is true, I will be very interested to see which ship they put in Galveston.  It's worth noting Galveston is RC's test market, where they put new features first (Navigator and Liberty's refurbs saw first ships with various new features).

I went straight to the top and spoke to the Captain this morning. He says that with the new deployments to be announced soon, Liberty of the Seas will stay in Galveston through at least 2019. He says that Liberty is doing well in Galveston and sees no reason for RCCL to make a change at this time.

He said he was not informed about any changes for Vision of the Seas regarding her 4 & 5 night cruises.

I was getting all excited thinking Liberty was coming to NJ...as long as it kept similar pricing to what it has now out of Galveston! Some of the cheapest deals on the 7 day cruises for Canadian prices anyways.

Texas always seems to have some good pricing for their cruises...too bad its such a far drive and/or expensive flights into that area for us.

The rumor does not make sense to me why the Liberty would move up north. The ship is one of the only RCCL ships to have waterslides. Why move it to a colder climate? What makes the most sense to me is to move an Oasis class ship to Galveston to compete with the Carnival Vista and move the Liberty to Saturday sailings. That way Liberty could sail the 4 and 5 day cruises as well as some 7 day Eastern Caribbean itineraries and the Oasis would take over the Liberty's Sunday departure itineraries. FYI...Galveston is one of the busiest cruise ports in the USA and if you look at the concept art for terminal 2 it clearly shows an Oasis class ship in port....Not a Quantum or Freedom class...just saying...and yes from the research I have found an Oasis Class ship can fit in the Galveston Ship Channel.

Here is a link to the article that shows an Oasis class ship in the concept drawing:

http://www.naylornetwork.com/aap-nwl/articles/index.asp?aid=289706&issueID=40350

The rumor does not make sense to me why the Liberty would move up north. The ship is one of the only RCCL ships to have waterslides. Why move it to a colder climate? What makes the most sense to me is to move an Oasis class ship to Galveston to compete with the Carnival Vista and move the Liberty to Saturday sailings. That way Liberty could sail the 4 and 5 day cruises as well as some 7 day Eastern Caribbean itineraries and the Oasis would take over the Liberty's Sunday departure itineraries. FYI...Galveston is one of the busiest cruise ports in the USA and if you look at the concept art for terminal 2 it clearly shows an Oasis class ship in port....Not a Quantum or Freedom class...just saying...and yes from the research I have found an Oasis Class ship can fit in the Galveston Ship Channel.

Here is a link to the article that shows an Oasis class ship in the concept drawing:

http://www.naylornetwork.com/aap-nwl/articles/index.asp?aid=289706&issueID=40350

You also just made a good argument for a Quantum-class vessel. Unfortunately, I don't think the fares will be high enough to justify that class of ship.

You also just made a good argument for a Quantum-class vessel. Unfortunately, I don't think the fares will be high enough to justify that class of ship.

Thanks...I do think RCCL would be fine with an Oasis or Quantum class ship in Galveston. The fares between Port Canaveral and Galveston are very similar. Here is the link on RCCL's website for June of this year.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?dates_minDate=06%2F01%2F2017&dates_maxDate=06%2F30%2F2017&durationCode_6to8=true&departureCode_GAL=true&departureCode_PCN=true&currentPage=0&action=update

This Proves an Oasis class ship will fit. I found this info on the web...

Comparison of Class Ships:

Class                Length Ft    Draft Ft 
Freedom              1112          29 
Oasis                   1181          31

Galveston Port Channel: 

Narrowest channel width is around 1200ft and wider at turning basin and the minimum Galveston channel depth is around 45ft (Port Canaveral is about 44 ft deep)

There is a 69ft length difference between the Liberty and the Oasis Of The Seas.

That means there is plenty of space both in width and depth at the turning basin near the Yacht Club

The terminal was designed to handle it, but I agree about the parking...

I disagree. The port can't handle the Liberty, let alone a larger ship. The Galveston terminal was a complete failure with Liberty of the Seas on the New Years cruise. The port had been fogged in, and as a result of the delay, everyone arrived at once. It was a complete madhouse. The port staff were poorly trained, and there was absolutely no crowd control. People passed out in the line, and they had difficult getting medical care in to them. I would hate to see what would happen with a larger ship. On the other hand, debarcation was painless.

I disagree. The port can't handle the Liberty, let alone a larger ship. The Galveston terminal was a complete failure with Liberty of the Seas on the New Years cruise. The port had been fogged in, and as a result of the delay, everyone arrived at once. It was a complete madhouse. The port staff were poorly trained, and there was absolutely no crowd control. People passed out in the line, and they had difficult getting medical care in to them. I would hate to see what would happen with a larger ship. On the other hand, debarcation was painless.

Galveston is not the only port with that has to deal with fog during certain times of the year. Other Gulf ports like Tampa and New Orleans have to deal with it as well. If you want to avoid fog I would recommend any other time of year other than early winter. All I am saying is that the new additions to terminal 2 were built to handle the latest and greatest mega ships. 

Galveston is not the only port with that has to deal with fog during certain times of the year. Other Gulf ports like Tampa and New Orleans have to deal with it as well. If you want to avoid fog I would recommend any other time of year other than early winter. All I am saying is that the new additions to terminal 2 were built to handle the latest and greatest mega ships. 

I'm afraid you missed my point. The issue was not that the port was closed due to fog: yes, that happens a lot at that time of year. The issue is that the port cannot handle the current ships with fog delays, let alone a larger ship. The only issue we should have experienced was a boarding delay, and a longer time in line. I'm pretty sure those are the only issues that Tampa and New Orleans experience with fog. We had a delay once in New Orleans that wasn't due to fog, but everything was very orderly. No one passed out. It sounds like the new additions were a complete failure, or they are not yet finished with key elements like training personnel or crowd control. The fog didn't cause those problems: The Galveston Port Authority did. If they have more to do before parking a larger ship there, so be it. But it would be a disaster if it happened now.

I'm afraid you missed my point. The issue was not that the port was closed due to fog: yes, that happens a lot at that time of year. The issue is that the port cannot handle the current ships with fog delays, let alone a larger ship. The only issue we should have experienced was a boarding delay, and a longer time in line. I'm pretty sure those are the only issues that Tampa and New Orleans experience with fog. We had a delay once in New Orleans that wasn't due to fog, but everything was very orderly. No one passed out. It sounds like the new additions were a complete failure, or they are not yet finished with key elements like training personnel or crowd control. The fog didn't cause those problems: The Galveston Port Authority did. If they have more to do before parking a larger ship there, so be it. But it would be a disaster if it happened now.

No...I hear ya, but I have sailed out of Galveston several times from both terminals 1 and 2 and have never had any issue with embarking, if anything it is usually debarking that is slow. 

No...I hear ya, but I have sailed out of Galveston several times from both terminals 1 and 2 and have never had any issue with embarking, if anything it is usually debarking that is slow. 

I agree -- This was unusual. I hope you are right and it was a singular fluke, and not something that would become commonplace with a larger ship. We are back on Liberty next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I went straight to the top and spoke to the Captain this morning. He says that with the new deployments to be announced soon, Liberty of the Seas will stay in Galveston through at least 2019. He says that Liberty is doing well in Galveston and sees no reason for RCCL to make a change at this time.

He said he was not informed about any changes for Vision of the Seas regarding her 4 & 5 night cruises.

Looks like going to the top was the right move. We will see Monday if this info from Cruisecal is correct:

May 2018-April 2019 View 05/06/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 05/13/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 05/20/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 05/27/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 06/03/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 06/10/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 06/17/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 06/24/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 07/01/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 07/08/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 07/15/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 07/22/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 07/29/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 08/05/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 08/12/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 08/19/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 08/26/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 09/02/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 09/09/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 09/16/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 09/23/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 09/30/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 10/07/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 10/14/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 10/21/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 10/28/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 11/04/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 11/11/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 11/18/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 11/25/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 12/02/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 12/09/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 12/16/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 12/23/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 12/30/2018 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 01/06/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 01/13/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 01/20/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 01/27/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 02/03/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 02/10/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 02/17/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 02/24/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 03/03/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 03/10/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 03/17/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 03/24/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 03/31/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 04/07/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 04/14/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Costa Maya (Majahual) | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas View 04/21/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Cozumel, Mexico | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Falmouth, Jamaica | Galveston, Texas View 04/28/2019 7 Nights Galveston, Texas | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | Belize City, Belize | Cozumel, Mexico | Galveston, Texas

After living in Tejas and sailing from Galveston plenty of times, I have to agree that it is not the best running port I've sailed from.  I was amazed when FLL actually hired the guy who made most of Galveston's mess to run their show!

An Oasis vessel would fit on paper, but I would think the bridge crew would be sweating it.  One miss-parked jack-up rig and you've got a mess.  Also, the terminal is a mess with a Freedom class ship...bigger would be a joke!

Another issue would be where to sail to?  Coz and Falmouth are fine, as the O ships do them now.  But that's it.  All the other ports that are reachable from Galveston on a 7 night run ( Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Progreso) cannot fit a ship of that size.  Cayman and Belize are tender stops and therefore cannot be done, the others have navigational limitations.  

Costa Maya can fit an Oasis class ship. I was there on the Allure in January. And Risk could strike a deal with NCL to dock at their new facility there.

Cayman is a lost cause until the build a dock. The others might be motivated with enough incentive.

Overall, though, I agree with your assessment as things currently stand.