New to Royal up

For an email out of the blue about Royal up and never have tried this before. I went through the options and there were some good ones. There was an upgrade to a 2 bedroom grand suite so I was like ok, why not try this for the first time. Bid the minimum so I don't we will get it but in the future I know the process. Does anyone win with the lowest bid? It's Adventure OTS on a short cruise to Halifax, 4 days. 

Non suites are probably easier to win on a min bid but doesn't mean you can't for a suite.  Depends on how many on ship and how many available that don't have higher bids than yours.

I am on a b2b on adventure and saw a couple say they got owner suite on a min bid so I guess anything is possible.

51 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

For an email out of the blue about Royal up and never have tried this before. I went through the options and there were some good ones. There was an upgrade to a 2 bedroom grand suite so I was like ok, why not try this for the first time. Bid the minimum so I don't we will get it but in the future I know the process. Does anyone win with the lowest bid? It's Adventure OTS on a short cruise to Halifax, 4 days. 

Yes.  I am sailing May 15 on Oasis.  I bid very slightly over minimum on a 1 br grand suite and minimum on a 2 br grand suite.  I figured there's no way I'd get the 2 br since there are only 6 (I think?) on the ship, but I got it with the minimum bid. Found out on Tuesday- was totally shcocked.

Good luck!

31 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know what I was doing or I would have bid more. I thought it was per person so 4 people but it's only your first 2 guests. I would have bid more if I knew that. Do they offer this on every cruise? We are on Oasis in August too. 

You should be able to go back and edit your bid.

You can also try going through this link for any future reservations to check eligibility, even if you don't get an email: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

52 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know what I was doing or I would have bid more. I thought it was per person so 4 people but it's only your first 2 guests. I would have bid more if I knew that. Do they offer this on every cruise? We are on Oasis in August too. 

In most cases you can modify your bid.  It is only for the first 2 guests. 

Remember it's fun to bid, but be comfortable with the amount you submit in case you win. 

42 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Yes.  I am sailing May 15 on Oasis.  I bid very slightly over minimum on a 1 br grand suite and minimum on a 2 br grand suite.  I figured there's no way I'd get the 2 br since there are only 6 (I think?) on the ship, but I got it with the minimum bid. Found out on Tuesday- was totally shcocked.

Good luck!

28 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

You can also try going through this link for any future reservations to check eligibility, even if you don't get an email: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

Wow! You won the bid on that amazing room, good for you! I'm hoping for the best. I also bid on the Owners suite now for just over the minimum. 

I see that there is a way to modify the bid. I really like this program. I will try for something on every cruise it's offered. I think I'm just gonna leave it as is and see. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Green said:

Also, check what the going rate of the room is for your cruise. Make sure you are not bidding more than it would cost to get the particular room on your own.

This was our strategy. Thee next cat up for us to JS would have been and additional 4k for our family of 4. We bid 200pp and won. This bid was well above minimum shown but compared to the going rate (inside final payment date) we saw value. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Green said:

Also, check what the going rate of the room is for your cruise. Make sure you are not bidding more than it would cost to get the particular room on your own.

Agree 100% with this.  I got the 2 br suite for a fraction of what it would have cost to book it, but some of the minimum bids on the higher-end suites cost more than booking it.  I did mock bookings on the ones I was interested in bidding on to see what it would have cost had I booked.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Green said:

Oh we paid very little for this cruise, most was FCC. Also the rate was very low on begin with. Thanks for the advice though because this is brand new to me. I made 2 bids, and I guess we'll see what happens. Any other advice is appreciated as I want to learn as much as I can about this process. Kinda cheesy I think you don't get the extra points. 

5 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

What is the typical response time for winners? Is it usually quick or a drawn out process? Our sailing is July 26th so not too far off. 

It sounds like, from cruisers sharing here and elsewhere, RUs are usually awarded between 30 to 14 days before sailing. Further out is rare, but does happen. Within two weeks of sailing happens with much more frequently than further out. However, I'm not collecting data so won't estimate a percentage.

15 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Curiously, a cruise departing June 18 returns a message saying "Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days" but one departing July 9 has availability to bid.

6 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

What is the typical response time for winners? Is it usually quick or a drawn out process? Our sailing is July 26th so not too far off. 

My sailing is May 15 and many of us on that cruise found out this past Tuesday, so 5 days ahead.  Some people find out after they've boarded.

14 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Curiously, a cruise departing June 18 returns a message saying "Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days" but one departing July 9 has availability to bid.

It is very arbitrary.  I wasn't able to bid, but when I used my husband's last name for our same sailing, I was able to bid.  Not everyone is "invited" to bid.

18 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Same,same exact things I just saw on my 2 cruises. I found that odd as well. 

On 5/12/2022 at 3:14 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Thanks for this! I hadn't received an email, but I did have options with this site. Just put a 10 dollar over minimum on large balcony. Let's see where the dice land.... 

I won my bid 3 days until a sailing. It was pending for almost a month. So, there is no way of knowing when your bid will be accepted. Pending is usually a good sign.

Not everyone will be offered the chance to bid, so you might get that "please make sure your sailing is within 30 days" message even though you could be sailing in 2 weeks.

I personally don't think whether you bid min or max, matters. It is a trickle up and down system, so I think when you bid and what you have matters. I.e. if they can move you from the balcony you brought for cheap to a JS, so they can sell that balcony at double the price. 

10 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I won my bid 3 days until a sailing. It was pending for almost a month. So, there is no way of knowing when your bid will be accepted. Pending is usually a good sign.

Not everyone will be offered the chance to bid, so you might get that "please make sure your sailing is within 30 days" message even though you could be sailing in 2 weeks.

I personally don't think whether you bid min or max, matters. It is a trickle up and down system, so I think when you bid and what you have matters. I.e. if they can move you from the balcony you brought for cheap to a JS, so they can sell that balcony at double the price. 

2 of mine say pending! One had another status. I would love that 2 bedroom grand suite. I mean with 2 kids that would incredible. Thanks for the info. 

19 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I should add that pending without the ability to modify is the best sign. I really hope you win the 2br GS. 

It says "pending" and I see there is the ability to modify. I guess it's just a waiting game. It's a short cruise on an older ship Adventure OTS so maybe that works in my favor. 

I am not sure what works in anyone’s favor or by ship, etc.  The Adventure of the Seas cruise that left yesterday had given my brother the opportunity to Royal Up on every category above his (spacious balcony).  He placed bids on all, some well over minimum, but he did not succeed in winning anything.  He also told me, after boarding yesterday, they are not sailing at full capacity so who knows?

20 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Do all cruises offer "Royal up"? because our Oasis cruise in August is not listed yet as eligible. 

All cruises should offer RU but some people may not qualify and in some cases they have to be in a certain date range. It might be middle of June or July before any RUs are offered for an August cruise. 

13 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

All cruises should offer RU but some people may not qualify and in some cases they have to be in a certain date range. It might be middle of June or July before any RUs are offered for an August cruise. 

Thank you for the info. I would definitely try this on Oasis if the bid prices are reasonable. We are in a central park balcony.