EMED/Covid Testing times from Europe

I understand that we can do Emed or other tests starting at midnight 2 days before the cruise for US departures.

What about cruises departing from Europe?  The requirement is one day before embarkation, simple enougth.

But does the Emed testing time begin at local Italy time or does it revert to the US East Coast time?  

We are traveling to Amsterdam in August from USA.  We will test on Wednesday morning before our 6 pm flight, we land on Thursday early afternoon, and board the ship on Friday.  As far as returning home after the cruise, we are taking our eMed tests with us and trying to do them the night before we disembark.  I am worried about having good VOOM reception so we may have to do it early morning when we are closer to port when it is turned off (within 12 miles of port -I think) and we can use our own internet.  If we still can't get it to work, then we will have to do testing at the airport.  However, I REALLY hope that the testing to return home to USA will be dropped by then......

12 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

We are traveling to Amsterdam in August from USA.  We will test on Wednesday morning before our 6 pm flight, we land on Thursday early afternoon, and board the ship on Friday.  As far as returning home after the cruise, we are taking our eMed tests with us and trying to do them the night before we disembark.  I am worried about having good VOOM reception so we may have to do it early morning when we are closer to port when it is turned off (within 12 miles of port -I think) and we can use our own internet.  If we still can't get it to work, then we will have to do testing at the airport.  However, I REALLY hope that the testing to return home to USA will be dropped by then......

So are you putting the eMed test kits in your carry-on?  We were thinking the temperature in the cargo hold would ruin our kits if we placed them in checked bags.

6 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

So are you putting the eMed test kits in your carry-on?  We were thinking the temperature in the cargo hold would ruin our kits if we placed them in checked bags.

Cargo holds in modern aircraft are temperature controlled. emed tests have a lower range of 35 degrees and cargo holds are at a minimum of 45 degrees.

20 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

Your logic and process is spot on with mine.  Good to hear others are thinking the same way / process.  We are traveling to London in June  - out of Southampton.   Emed covid test in US before Wednesday flight.  Thursday arrival in London.  Friday board ship in Southampton.   I too hope to test on board ship for flight back.  And I too hope the requirement is dropped by then.  Cheers.  

27 minutes ago, SunnyDays said:

@whitsmom is it not a “1 day prior” testing requirement for Amsterdam? If so, then testing Wed for a Friday cruise may be a problem….  

We test on Wednesday for Friday cruise.  The day of the cruise doesn't count in the 2-day so we are good on that front.  Amsterdam did have a 3-day before arrival but I think they have already dropped that.  Only need testing for the cruise.  It wouldn't hurt my feeling for all testing to be stopped.  We are fully vax and boosted so we are good with that as a requirement to enter Amsterdam.

Traveling to the Netherlands: negative COVID-19 test result no longer required. From 23 March 2022 people traveling to the Netherlands from outside the EU/Schengen area no longer need to show a negative test result. Check the current rules for entering the Netherlands.

As of March 23, 2022 no test needed to fly into Amsterdam!  This is from Amsterdam's Government Website

Correct about Italy.  It's 1 day before the cruise.   Coming back to the States, is it 1 or 2 days to test?

We plan to carry all 12 tests with us in our carry on bags.  Sometimes bags can sit on the tarmac and get hot or rained on. 

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

We just got back from Europe cruise and put our covid tests in carry-on bag, just to be sure they do not freeze.   Airlines allow you to carry covid tests in your carry-on bags along with bottle of sanitizer.  It does not affect your liquids carry on bag of items under 3oz.

3 hours ago, therealbigredrules said:

Your logic and process is spot on with mine.  Good to hear others are thinking the same way / process.  We are traveling to London in June  - out of Southampton.   Emed covid test in US before Wednesday flight.  Thursday arrival in London.  Friday board ship in Southampton.   I too hope to test on board ship for flight back.  And I too hope the requirement is dropped by then.  Cheers.  

I just flew back from London 2 days ago, after cruise.  The US requirement to return to US on a plane is to have a covid test 1 day before departure.   Am doing another Europe cruise in Sept. and hoping by then the tests are not required.

38 minutes ago, Linda R said:

We just got back from Europe cruise and put our covid tests in carry-on bag, just to be sure they do not freeze.   Airlines allow you to carry covid tests in your carry-on bags along with bottle of sanitizer.  It does not affect your liquids carry on bag of items under 3oz.

Were you able to keep the tests in their boxes or did the Airlines or security require you to open them?

7 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Were you able to keep the tests in their boxes or did the Airlines or security require you to open them?

The airlines did not open the boxes.  They were still sealed.  Our friends took their covid tests with them in carry-on bags also and they were not opened.  Either in US airports or Europe airports.  We traveled after the cruise this month from Rome to London, and no one opened them at those airports either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Husband and I are in Italy for cruise on Wednesday. Now that we can test 2 days prior I took the eMed test after midnight however I did not know about UTC time until after results came back so my test date says 05/22/22 at 22:25:54 UTC. I have an extra test with me. Will RC know to convert UTC time? Or to be safe, should I retest?

8 hours ago, MorganH said:

Husband and I are in Italy for cruise on Wednesday. Now that we can test 2 days prior I took the eMed test after midnight however I did not know about UTC time until after results came back so my test date says 05/22/22 at 22:25:54 UTC. I have an extra test with me. Will RC know to convert UTC time? Or to be safe, should I retest?

I think they use the date not the time; however, I am not 100% on that.  We will be having to take our eMed tests the day before we fly home to US in August so I will have to double check the time so that I make sure it is the correct date.  This testing is such a stressful thing for me worrying about the exact timing and everything else.  I understand that the pre-cruise testing will stay for a while but I hope they drop the one to fly back home to US.

10 hours ago, MorganH said:

Husband and I are in Italy for cruise on Wednesday. Now that we can test 2 days prior I took the eMed test after midnight however I did not know about UTC time until after results came bacTk so my test date says 05/22/22 at 22:25:54 UTC. I have an extra test with me. Will RC know to convert UTC time? Or to be safe, should I retest?

The pier people will be looking at the date..... I had to look up what UTC is so I can try to figure out my own testing for my July cruise.  The things we are unaware of.
Good Luck!

12 hours ago, MorganH said:

I don't know how they'll deal with that for cruises departing from locations with a positive offset from UTC. With Italy being UTC+2 I would hope the check-in agents would know to do the conversion. That said, in the app it should show the local time of the test, where as the emailed results show UTC

3 hours ago, JennP said:

Just triple checking here - sailing from Italy now is TWO days before for testing,  no longer just 1 day before? I’ve read it, I understand it, but super paranoid I’ll mess it up! 😅  Thx. 

You are correct.  It's 2 days now.   If we factor in the UTC , we can do our tests 2 days before the cruise as early as 2 AM Italy time. 

9 hours ago, Va4fam said:

You are correct.  It's 2 days now.   If we factor in the UTC , we can do our tests 2 days before the cruise as early as 2 AM Italy time. 

Just to confirm, it’s “atleast 2 days prior” for vaccinated adults, so tests for a Sunday cruise can be taken after 2am Italy time on Friday or Saturday, correct?

Should we be counting the sail day or not? 

7 hours ago, Breezyclimber said:

Just to confirm, it’s “atleast 2 days prior” for vaccinated adults, so tests for a Sunday cruise can be taken after 2am Italy time on Friday or Saturday, correct?

That's my understanding of the rule.   We plan to take our tests in Venice this Friday.  (the sail date does not count)

10 hours ago, Breezyclimber said:

The sail day does not count (it is day 0)  For a Sunday Cruise you can take your test Friday or Saturday and if you are vaccinated you can take it the day of boarding.

2 hours ago, AlmondFarmer said:

I’m in California (pacific time zone) and will be taking my test on Thursday at 6:00pm local, before getting on plane for Barcelona. This is 3:00am Barcelona, 1:00am Universal time Friday which is two days before Sunday cruise departure. 

Wouldn't your test print out show it was taken on Thursday?  I don't know if  that will fly with Royal.

17 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Wouldn't your test print out show it was taken on Thursday?  I don't know if  that will fly with Royal.

I don’t know what all will be on report regarding the local time of test.

It will have UTC time listed which will be Friday (1:00am), 2 days before departure. 
One should not have the two day window shrunk due to time zone differences. 

If I get pushback I will sick my Genie on the check in agent. 

48 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

I don’t know what all will be on report regarding the local time of test.

It will have UTC time listed which will be Friday (1:00am), 2 days before departure. 
One should not have the two day window shrunk due to time zone differences. 

If I get pushback I will sick my Genie on the check in agent. 

I've never noticed this before.  I'll look for it on my next test.  Is this an emed test result you are referring to or elsewhere?