Looking for Photography Tutorial Recommendations

melmar02

I finally purchased my first big girl camera for our upcoming Alaska cruise. It's just the entry level Canon T7, but it's my first camera that is not a point and shoot or cell phone camera. I have taken photography classes in the past, but they were back when film was still a thing in high school. I can't say I remember too much from them other than the rule of thirds and if I absolutely have to use the included flash to cover it with a piece of paper or vellum to help difuse the harsh light.

Are there any online tutorials / YouTube channels you would recommend to help a girl out? I'm looking for wildlife and nature photography tips, but I really need a good beginner level refresher.

3 hours ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

Canon has a tutorial app called Canon Coach that had a few guides on using a camera with more settings than the typical Point and Shoot.

https://canon.ca/en/product?name=Canon_Coach&category=/en/products/Software-Solutions/Camera---Camcorder-Apps

Thanks. It looks like this is app is for Canadians, and I can't download it. I'll search for the US version. 

• 4 weeks later...

Start looking through here and figure out what types of pictures you want to take and head on from there.

https://www.slrlounge.com/photography/

The best thing I can say is buy extra storage, in fact the more the better IMHO and there is nothing wrong using a microSD card especially if you have a phone or tablet which can accept them.  It's also worth going with a brand name and a fast card which will allow you to record video as well if so desired, nothing sucks more than having a video stop because the card can't transfer fast enough.  While on vacation, if you bought a MicroSD card, you can still drop the card into the device and see the pictures you have taken and weed out the really bad ones.  Take as many different shots as possible so you can pick the ones you think came out the best.  It's a lot easier to find 5 or 10 good ones when you have taken 100 pictures, if you took 15 pictures it will be much more difficult to find 10 good ones till you have developed your skills.  And get a filter pack for your camera as well.  A circular polarizing filter will remove glare from shiny objects and help make colors pop a bit better especially outdoors but remember in low light situations to take it off before trying to take a picture.  UV filters are also nice to have along with a few others. You can easily splurge on a lot of other stuff as well but I like to start off with a bunch of storage and some filters and go from there based on what I am doing.  A light kit for portraits can be nice to have available along with some backdrops. But a sheet and a few extra lights around the room can work in a pinch.

I am by no means great but I think I can turn out a few nice pictures.  This one was taken a few years ago at sunset with a Cannon T3i then compiled in photoshop as an HDR image, basically the camera takes 3 pictures, you set the screen as close to what you see as possible then set the camera to take a picture two stops darker for the sky to have good color and two steps lighter so the ground isn't overly dark.  Then the software splices the 3 images together to make one with a ton of color throughout.

http://files.ventshop.net/Pictures/Mypics/HDR/southsunset.jpg