ArriveCAN form

Done

On 5/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, Toby said:

Which brings me to my next question.  If an Alaskan excursion enters into Canada then returns to the US would one need a new ArriveCAN form completed for a Canadian port of call or cruise termination port?

you took the words right out of my head

we sail out of Seattle and must complete ArriveCAN before getting on board the ship

on cruise day 4 we arrive in Skagway , drive to the Fraser, BC customs station on the way into the Yukon, then back onto the ship at Skagway

3 days later, on cruise day 7, we visit Victoria

must we enter information prior to boarding in Seattle, again before arriving at Fraser, and again before arriving at Victoria?

"no more than 72 hours before entering Canada" (twice)...plus before getting on the ship

it is all very confusing

If you enter your passport and vax info beforehand in the app filling out the other info takes less than 60 seconds. For what it’s worth I have yet to be asked about the app at land crossings although signage tells you repeatedly to have it filled out as you approach the Canadian crossing. I don’t know if this is because perhaps the info is somehow linked to my passport or if the land crossings have been of the day trip variety 🤷‍♂️

I have had to had it scanned every time before boarding flights to (and a cruise) Canada.

8 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

If you enter your passport and vax info beforehand in the app filling out the other info takes less than 60 seconds. For what it’s worth I have yet to be asked about the app at land crossings although signage tells you repeatedly to have it filled out as you approach the Canadian crossing. I don’t know if this is because perhaps the info is somehow linked to my passport or if the land crossings have been of the day trip variety 🤷‍♂️

I have had to had it scanned every time before boarding flights to (and a cruise) Canada.

I will second this, load in all your vax info beforehand. That is the most time consuming part of the app.  When the border first opened back up in November 2021, it took a while to get my info into the app.  I saved Hubby and kids as "dependents" and since November 2021, we have used Arrive Can several times and it has been very quick to fill out with vax info and passport info pre-loaded.

I have also never been asked to show the actual app receipt at the land border crossing. I think it definitely is linked to the passport because each time we have crossed since November, the land border agent thanks us for filling out the app properly, even though they never asked to see it.

Next week we are driving from Seattle to Vancouver for Radiance.  It seems there are two possible point of entries available: Douglas (840) and Pacific Highway (813).  Does anyone know if one is better than the other?  If you complete the ArriveCan form for one, and end up at the other, is that going to be a huge problem?

3 hours ago, Peter D said:

Next week we are driving from Seattle to Vancouver for Radiance.  It seems there are two possible point of entries available: Douglas (840) and Pacific Highway (813).  Does anyone know if one is better than the other?  If you complete the ArriveCan form for one, and end up at the other, is that going to be a huge problem?

Be sure to read the blog post for day 1 Radiance of the Seas Live Blog | Royal Caribbean Blog. On that sailing they needed to have an ArriveCan form to get in to Canada and a second one to get on the ship.  I haven't heard of this changing, but please let us know if it does.  I'm sailing in early June and I want to make boarding as seamless as possible.

4 hours ago, Peter D said:

I’ve driven across the border a number of times but I’ve always known the crossing I’m using so I’ve never tried to go to the wrong or other cruising.   You might search for border wait times and if one crossing trends better than the other   

Once you’ve done one entry it’s pretty quick to do additional submissions.  It takes 2-3 minutes.  You can only have one active at a time so do the one for driving into Canada then once in Canada delete that entry and do one for the ship.  

3 hours ago, steverk said:

Be sure to read the blog post for day 1 Radiance of the Seas Live Blog | Royal Caribbean Blog. On that sailing they needed to have an ArriveCan form to get in to Canada and a second one to get on the ship.  I haven't heard of this changing, but please let us know if it does.  I'm sailing in early June and I want to make boarding as seamless as possible.

I called the ArriveCan hotline (1-833-283-7403) and I got some additional information for my specific situation.  As I am only doing a one way trip from Vancouver to Seward (open jaw) and not returning to Canada, I was told that I will not need to complete a second ArriveCan form to get on the ship to leave Vancouver.  I looked at the 'enter by marine' form on ArriveCan app and it clearly  identify 'port of entry' and date of arrival', so it makes sense that I would not need it because I have no port of arrival.  I am sure the southbound cruises from Seward to Vancouver would use this form, but not the northbound Vancouver to Seward.  I believe the issue described in the above referenced live blog was that that particular Radiance OTS cruise was closed loop returning to Canada which does make sense.  I'd expect the same for the closed loop Serenade OTS sailings out of Vancouver.

As for the land point of entry, they stated that the point of entry needs to align with the ArriveCan app, so I cannot put one and change mind to go through another.   I would need to create a new form.

7 hours ago, Peter D said:

Do pac hwy or peach arch border crossing. Not douglas. 

2 hours ago, Peter D said:

I called the ArriveCan hotline (1-833-283-7403) and I got some additional information for my specific situation.  As I am only doing a one way trip from Vancouver to Seward (open jaw) and not returning to Canada, I was told that I will not need to complete a second ArriveCan form to get on the ship to leave Vancouver.  I looked at the 'enter by marine' form on ArriveCan app and it clearly  identify 'port of entry' and date of arrival', so it makes sense that I would not need it because I have no port of arrival.  I am sure the southbound cruises from Seward to Vancouver would use this form, but not the northbound Vancouver to Seward.  I believe the issue described in the above referenced live blog was that that particular Radiance OTS cruise was closed loop returning to Canada which does make sense.  I'd expect the same for the closed loop Serenade OTS sailings out of Vancouver.

As for the land point of entry, they stated that the point of entry needs to align with the ArriveCan app, so I cannot put one and change mind to go through another.   I would need to create a new form.

Thanks for the clarification.   We are on the same cruise next Friday but are flying into Vancouver.  Was wondering if we needed another entry to get on the ship.   Still wondering about the shore excursion in Skagway back into Canada and if needed guess its easy enough to do on same day.  Maybe we will see you on the cruise.   I'll be the big guy with cute small Filipino wife  🙂 

4 hours ago, anxiouscruiser said:

Do pac hwy or peach arch border crossing. Not douglas. 

Douglas is just a more obscure (i.e. formal) name for the Peace Arch Crossing.    Pac Highway and Douglas / Peace Arch are just a few miles from each other.  Most folks who are not familiar with the area just stay on Interstate 5 which takes them straight to Douglas / Peace Arch.  Many locals will take an exit as they approach Blaine (last town in WA) to take the Pac Highway border crossing (it's doubles as a general port of entry and the truck crossing) as it sometimes can have a lower wait time than Douglas / Peace Arch and then drive back over to the freeway (Interstate 5 becomes highway 99 once in B.C.).  Wait times of course are very subjective.  They are listed on I-5 as you approach the border but that will be of little use given you will have already specified your port of entry in Arrive Can.   

Bottom line:  You might find a quicker entry via Pac Highway, but it's not guaranteed.  Douglas / Peace Arch is the most direct route (even though Pac Highway is only a few miles away) for those who want to keep it as simple as possible.

So we are booked on the 1 way North bound Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward this Friday.   Today we got an E-mail from RCL  It says that ArriveCAN is needed as the sailing 'leaves and returns' to Canada.   We have no Canadian ports scheduled other than the one we are leaving from.  Is it saying this is required as we might be passing through Canadian waters, or might cross over during a shore excursion in Skagway?  Otherwise, the ship will be returning only with another set of guests so not sure why it would be required.   Not even sure what I would put on the form for destination.   I think it more likely that RCL os just made a mistake in sending this E-mail out for the 1 way sailings.   They were also wrong about Canada requiring ESTA for green card holders.  On this one I kind of understand as the requirement was dropped only a couple weeks ago.  (4/26).  Still seems RCL should be more on top of the ever changing requirements then they are.

Dear Guest,

We’re so excited to welcome you onboard for our Canada & Alaska sailing! Before you head to the cruise terminal, we have some important reminders.

ArriveCAN

Since our sailing leaves then returns to Canada, all guests – including Canadians – will need to complete the mandatory ArriveCAN travel information form prior to arriving at the cruise terminal. Guests, or their legal guardians, can complete the form for free at the ArriveCAN website here or via their app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. This form needs to be completed before boarding, and we highly recommend completing this at home since Wi-Fi connection in the terminal is not dependable. Once complete you’ll need to print or show the QR code provided at boarding.

3 hours ago, Ken Edgar said:

So we are booked on the 1 way North bound Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward this Friday.   Today we got an E-mail from RCL  It says that ArriveCAN is needed as the sailing 'leaves and returns' to Canada.   We have no Canadian ports scheduled other than the one we are leaving from.  Is it saying this is required as we might be passing through Canadian waters, or might cross over during a shore excursion in Skagway?  Otherwise, the ship will be returning only with another set of guests so not sure why it would be required.   Not even sure what I would put on the form for destination.   I think it more likely that RCL os just made a mistake in sending this E-mail out for the 1 way sailings.   They were also wrong about Canada requiring ESTA for green card holders.  On this one I kind of understand as the requirement was dropped only a couple weeks ago.  (4/26).  Still seems RCL should be more on top of the ever changing requirements then they are.

Dear Guest,

We’re so excited to welcome you onboard for our Canada & Alaska sailing! Before you head to the cruise terminal, we have some important reminders.

ArriveCAN

Since our sailing leaves then returns to Canada, all guests – including Canadians – will need to complete the mandatory ArriveCAN travel information form prior to arriving at the cruise terminal. Guests, or their legal guardians, can complete the form for free at the ArriveCAN website here or via their app available in the AppStore or on Google Play. This form needs to be completed before boarding, and we highly recommend completing this at home since Wi-Fi connection in the terminal is not dependable. Once complete you’ll need to print or show the QR code provided at boarding.

We got the same email.  it does seem like a mistake because it's a one way, but who knows.  Maybe Royal does not want to have different rules for the different sailings.  I guess we just fill out the form pretending that we are returning to Vancouver on 03Jun2022, even though we are not.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, Peter D said:

Thanks for calling the hotline - that helps all of us who are sailing this Friday. My concern is related to what @steverknoted about the blog posts where the blogger said everyone was scrambling at the port to get the marine ArriveCAN form filled out. But I think she was a round trip back to Vancouver. So hopefully Royal will know which of us are not sailing back-to-back and won’t require that those of us disembarking in Seward fill that out, right? Their email could certainly have been clearer and indicated that two forms are only necessary for those people sailing back-to-back, but . . . Oh well! We will be on that ship in four days and all will be right with the world!

We received emails yesterday with the subject line: "An important reminder from Royal Caribbean: Complete your ArriveCAN form today!"

Just one teeny, tiny problem with that, Royal. The Canadian government won't allow us to complete the form until Tuesday (three days prior to boarding) or later. The urgency implied by the use of "important" and an exclamation point in the subject line had one other couple traveling with us (first-time cruisers) concerned because they couldn't complete the form "today!"

• 3 weeks later...

Quick follow up on this topic for those who may be interested. 

We entered Canada via the ArriveCan on 20May2022 to board Radiance of Seas for one way trip to Seward.  We used the cruise terminal as our address where we would be staying in Canada.

Canada Place Cruise Terminal
999 Canada Place    
British Columbia, Canada V6C 3T4

We got on the ship (after a ridiculously long delay) and off we went on our Alaska Adventure, leaving Canada on same day 20May2022.

Three days later (23May2022)... I received an email and telephone call from Canada Health Authorities stating I had been selected for the mandatory PCR test and their records showed I had not done so within the required 24 hour period.  This was the first I had heard about it, 3 days after leaving the country.  Border agent did not say anything about it. 

Anyhow, with all the threats of fines and quarantine facility transfers, I decided to call the general inquiries number provided in the email (1-833-784-4397) and a helpful representative walked me through the steps to change my contact information and certify that I had already left the country 3 days prior.  After it was submitted, I got the email that I was off the hook.

My wife got the same messages the following day....

Anyhow, figured I would share the experience in case it happens to any one else entering Canada for cruises.     

18 hours ago, Peter D said:

Quick follow up on this topic for those who may be interested. 

We entered Canada via the ArriveCan on 20May2022 to board Radiance of Seas for one way trip to Seward.  We used the cruise terminal as our address where we would be staying in Canada.

Canada Place Cruise Terminal
999 Canada Place    
British Columbia, Canada V6C 3T4

We got on the ship (after a ridiculously long delay) and off we went on our Alaska Adventure, leaving Canada on same day 20May2022.

Three days later (23May2022)... I received an email and telephone call from Canada Health Authorities stating I had been selected for the mandatory PCR test and their records showed I had not done so within the required 24 hour period.  This was the first I had heard about it, 3 days after leaving the country.  Border agent did not say anything about it. 

Anyhow, with all the threats of fines and quarantine facility transfers, I decided to call the general inquiries number provided in the email (1-833-784-4397) and a helpful representative walked me through the steps to change my contact information and certify that I had already left the country 3 days prior.  After it was submitted, I got the email that I was off the hook.

My wife got the same messages the following day....

Anyhow, figured I would share the experience in case it happens to any one else entering Canada for cruises.     

Sounds like typical governmental incompetence lol

• 2 weeks later...