EU authorities drop mandatory masks on planes and in airports

Mixed emotions from this report.

I was anticipating the challenge of having adult beverages going for the entire 13 hour flight from San Francisco to Barcelona. (Can’t drink with a mask on)
My wife and those passengers sitting around me will now benefit, as will my liver.

46 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Mixed emotions from this report.

I was anticipating the challenge of having adult beverages going for the entire 13 hour flight from San Francisco to Barcelona. (Can’t drink with a mask on)
My wife and those passengers sitting around me will now benefit, as will my liver.

The jet-lag is going to LOVE you!  I'm looking a similar conundrum: Chicago to Stockholm.

5 hours ago, MrHaga said:

EU authorities drop mandatory masks on planes and in airports

New recommendations will come into force from May 16.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-authorities-drop-mandatory-masks-on-planes-and-in-airports/

Hopefully pre-covid tests are next!🤞

The new recommendations will come into force from May 16. But the agencies said mask rules will still vary from airline to airline beyond that date.

Passengers traveling on flights to or from a destination where mask-wearing is still mandatory on public transport may still be required to wear a mask, for example.

Its a recommendation only! Airlines and other forms of transport can still insist on the wearing of masks if they want to. 

Since there is a real risk of catching a COVID variant now, my son will wear a mask flying to Denmark next week.  He doesn't want to mess up the required COVID test to board the cruise, etc.

We don't fly to Spain until October, so we hope by then being "up-to-date" will be enough to return to the US even if Royal still requires COVID testing for the cruise.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

And we saw how fast US airlines dropped masks as soon as it became a mere recommendation.

it will happen in Europe also, however there may be some companies who decide to keep masks a bit longer and thats where issues arise.

12 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Since there is a real risk of catching a COVID variant now, my son will wear a mask flying to Denmark next week.  He doesn't want to mess up the required COVID test to board the cruise, etc.

We don't fly to Spain until October, so we hope by then being "up-to-date" will be enough to return to the US even if Royal still requires COVID testing for the cruise.

Before I was locked into my airline pricing I moved my flights so I leave NY 2 days before my cruise so i can satisfy cruise testing prior to leaving home.  What a shame.
As for going home, double checked that my insurance will cover us if we test positive to return home.  They say they will, I hope I don't' have to find out.  We will stay 2 extra nights post cruise to see a little something and then head home.  I am keeping fingers crossed that the testing is removed by end of July