Onboard spending Account

Hello everyone, I just checked in for my June 2022 cruise on Allure and I thought that we were able to put cash onto our onboard spending account; however, it wouldn't let me proceed further unless I add a debit/credit card to complete check in process.  Now, would it be possible for me to take it off when I am in port and add cash on it instead?  that is just my preference of spending and always have been. thanks!

Chris

Welcome to the boards.

Royal requires a card be associated with your account (use a credit card rather than a debit card because of the daily holds placed when they run charges). Because you want to pay cash, you have the option to go to guest services onboard at any time and make a deposit to cover expenses and again near the end of the cruise to pay off your balance.

We typically go and pay cash to cover the spending to date the morning of day 4 and then pay off what is already posted to the onboard account on the last night. That way, the only real charge to our card is any spending after that last visit to guest services.

We do check the running balance and charges posted to our account several times through the cruise and definitely the last evening before debarkation day.  Otherwise we let the charges be posted to our charge card.  I do not like carrying much cash while on vacation (or at home for that matter).

1 hour ago, cxiong30 said:

Hello everyone, I just checked in for my June 2022 cruise on Allure and I thought that we were able to put cash onto our onboard spending account; however, it wouldn't let me proceed further unless I add a debit/credit card to complete check in process.  Now, would it be possible for me to take it off when I am in port and add cash on it instead?  that is just my preference of spending and always have been. thanks!

Chris

I highly recommend adding a credit card now to make things easier when you board and not require you to go by the desk on embarkation day.  Once you are onboard, you can then totally swing by the desk and "pay your charges" so nothing really ever hits the card.  I would not put a debit card on the account since there could be holds placed on your account until after your cruise is completed.  

23 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Welcome to the boards.

Royal requires a card be associated with your account (use a credit card rather than a debit card because of the daily holds placed when they run charges). Because you want to pay cash, you have the option to go to guest services onboard at any time and make a deposit to cover expenses and again near the end of the cruise to pay off your balance.

We typically go and pay cash to cover the spending to date the morning of day 4 and then pay off what is already posted to the onboard account on the last night. That way, the only real charge to our card is any spending after that last visit to guest services.

Thank you, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. One more question, when depositing "cash" onto your onboard account, it needs to be real, physical, green cash/dollar bills right? and not a deposit swipe via debit card?  thanks for your feedback!

21 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

I highly recommend adding a credit card now to make things easier when you board and not require you to go by the desk on embarkation day.  Once you are onboard, you can then totally swing by the desk and "pay your charges" so nothing really ever hits the card.  I would not put a debit card on the account since there could be holds placed on your account until after your cruise is completed.  

Thank you! So on an actual credit card, there are no holds, I assume?  Also, when paying my stateroom charges, they accept real, physical, green cash, right?  Or do you think it would be easier to do a debit card swipe to pay the charges?

2 hours ago, cxiong30 said:

Thank you, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. One more question, when depositing "cash" onto your onboard account, it needs to be real, physical, green cash/dollar bills right? and not a deposit swipe via debit card?  thanks for your feedback!

You'll definitely want to use cold, hard cash in this case.

2 hours ago, cxiong30 said:

Thank you! So on an actual credit card, there are no holds, I assume?  Also, when paying my stateroom charges, they accept real, physical, green cash, right?  Or do you think it would be easier to do a debit card swipe to pay the charges?

There will be holds on the credit card (typically daily) for anything beyond the cash you have deposited. The advantage of a credit card over a debit card is that the hold will drop off your credit card quickly when they process the final payment. Debit card holds don't always drop off quickly.

3 hours ago, cxiong30 said:

Thank you! So on an actual credit card, there are no holds, I assume?

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

There will be holds on the credit card (typically daily) for anything beyond the cash you have deposited. The advantage of a credit card over a debit card is that the hold will drop off your credit card quickly when they process the final payment. Debit card holds don't always drop off quickly.

There are holds on credit cards and debit cards but the important distinction is that a hold on your debit card prevents you from using your cash in your bank account.  It's effectively a temporary withdrawal.  If you don't have a large enough buffer in your bank account, the hold could mean checks bounce, automated bills get rejected, or you end up overdrawn.  Those are all real and immediate financial effects.  In contrast, a hold on a credit card temporarily lowers the amount you can charge.  Yes, if you are near your credit limit, additional charges could get rejected, but you aren't out any of your own money.