Windjammer - how to pronounce?

djs68

We can affirm that @djs68has been watching @Matt's videos and/or listening to podcasts.

2 hours ago, djs68 said:

Apologies for the potentially trivial question but I'm curious about this. I'm new to cruising and have heard Windjammer pronounced how it's written but also with a French inflection ("Windjamm-ere"). 

What is the correct way of saying it? 

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Lol!  I believe the French inflection is all @Matt😆

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

LOL @djs68 I think as a new forum member, one of my first posts was the same question! 

Warning: If you start pronouncing things like MAtt does, you can't stop.  This applies to Windammer and CocoCay.

At least "Cay" originally was pronounced as "Key" so he's got some method to his madness on that one.

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

And on to Coco Cay, which should be "key" and doesn't rhyme with "day".  But in the end, everyone knows what you mean regardless of the pronunciation.  We all "err" some of the time. (And this isn't "air".)   Maybe words could be a trivia game?

Maybe we're all just pronouncing "day" incorrectly and it should be "dee!"

On 5/12/2022 at 9:25 AM, ChessE4 said:

And on to Coco Cay, which should be "key" and doesn't rhyme with "day".  But in the end, everyone knows what you mean regardless of the pronunciation.  We all "err" some of the time. (And this isn't "air".)   Maybe words could be a trivia game?

Actually all the islands in the Caribbean and even in Florida are really Cays. The Americans call them keys but they should all be pronounced cay. But you say tomayto I say  tomahto. Same thing but different. It really does not matter in the end. As long as we are all happy and get along and have a nice cold beverage together.

5 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Actually all the islands in the Caribbean and even in Florida are really Cays. The Americans call them keys but they should all be pronounced cay. But you say tomayto I say  tomahto. Same thing but different. It really does not matter in the end. As long as we are all happy and get along and have a nice cold beverage together.

True, I was quoting a crew member circa 2013, and then there are those Angela Lansbury "Murder She Wrote" episodes were "cay" is pronounced "key".   Never visited New England, so can't say it has a basis in fact.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:25 AM, ChessE4 said:

Agree with "key".

As did a lot of the internet, 

Cay is most often applied to Caribbean islands, the preferred pronunciation is “key

But RC would have needed a different rhyming slogan than "Perfect Day at Coco Cay"

"Relaxing, stress-free at Coco Cay"? 😁