xSAILEDx Anthem of the Seas - Oct 15, 2023 - Oct 30, 2023 (15 Night Transatlantic Cruise)

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to October 15, 2023 - Transatlantic Anthem of the Seas
On 5/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, Anthem Transatlantic said:

We are excited about our transatlantic cruise Oct. 15th, 2023.

Hi, Anthem Transatlantic,

Have we met yet? We are Madie and Jim from Sammamish WA. We, too, are excited about this cruise. It is to our 4th transatlantic and 2nd on RCL. This by far the largest ship we have ever been on. Next largest was Navigator OTS sailing at 75% capacity in 2008.

Madie and Jim

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2022 at 7:50 PM, Pattycruise said:

Hubby and I will be sailing on this, God willing.  Our first transatlantic.  Haven’t yet started our planning on when we’ll fly to England snd what we’ll do pre cruise.  

Hi, Pattycruise,

We start our trip in NYC for a week to visit our brothers and others. Then we will go to Amsterdam for a week. Madie has never been there. I was there in July 1959! From Amsterdam, we go to London for two nights. Does not seem like enough days there but we spent 3 weeks in London and southern England in 2009. Our next stop is Southampton for the last two nights before the cruise. Neither of us has been there. We may go to Winchester for part of a day. Do you want any suggestions for sightseeing?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 5:00 AM, Gocruise77 said:

Hi! I’m Glenda my husband Keith and I are booked on this cruise as well. It will be our 1st transatlantic and our 1st cruise after we retire. We’re deciding what we’ll do before the cruise, there are so many great places to see. We are looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi, Glenda and Keith,

Welcome to retirement (soon). It is wonderful. I have been retired for 11 years, my wife Madie for 20. Going back to my high school graduation year (1959), this will be my fifth transatlantic and second longest. 12 nights on Navigator OTS in 2008. 17 nights on Oosterdam (2016), 8 nights each on Nieuw Amsterdam (1959, ship built in 1938) and S.S. Constitution (1959). Loved them all; all were east to west crossings except for Nieuw Amsterdam.

• AshleyDillo changed the title to Anthem of the Seas - Oct 15, 2023 - Oct 30, 2023 (15 Night Transatlantic Cruise)
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, JEH106 said:

Hi, Pattycruise,

We start our trip in NYC for a week to visit our brothers and others. Then we will go to Amsterdam for a week. Madie has never been there. I was there in July 1959! From Amsterdam, we go to London for two nights. Does not seem like enough days there but we spent 3 weeks in London and southern England in 2009. Our next stop is Southampton for the last two nights before the cruise. Neither of us has been there. We may go to Winchester for part of a day. Do you want any suggestions for sightseeing?

Jim

Hi Jim,

Im just seeing this.

I would love suggestions for London.

We are not into art, but pretty much anything else is good.

if you have any ideas on places to stay that would be great as well. 
we fly in on Oct 11 and are spending 2 full days before heading to Southampton on the 14th, via bus. 

I’m from NY but it sounds like you’ve got that figured out with family, but if you need suggestions let me know.

On 7/2/2023 at 9:42 AM, Thom Cruise said:

What's the weather usually like on these October sailings from the UK? Does the ship cross at a lower latitude and get some warmth? 

Hi, Thom Cruise,

Look at the itinerary for the cruise - Vigo, Lisbon, the Canaries and Bermuda. This looks like a mostly southern route from Europe to the US. We have done two previous trips from Europe to the US, both times ending up in Florida. Both were early November trips in 2008 and 2016. This is not quite the same route but close enough for me to expect better weather than a North Atlantic crossing.

Jim

On 7/14/2023 at 10:51 PM, Pattycruise said:

Hi Jim,

Im just seeing this.

I would love suggestions for London.

We are not into art, but pretty much anything else is good.

if you have any ideas on places to stay that would be great as well. 
we fly in on Oct 11 and are spending 2 full days before heading to Southampton on the 14th, via bus. 

I’m from NY but it sounds like you’ve got that figured out with family, but if you need suggestions let me know.

Hi, Pattycruise,

For what is worth, Madie and I (both in our early 80s) are staying at the Ridgemount Hotel, 65-67 Gower St, London. The price we are paying for a twin bed room is about US$294.00. The hotel was built in 1786 and the building is owned by the Duke of Bedford (in his family the whole time) but is run by a family. Here are places to visit based on prior visits (in no particular order):

1.   Tower of London: especially the Crown Jewels collection.

2.   The Houses of Parliament: book ahead so that you can see the House of Commons if they are in session. Great cafe there.

3.   Westminster Abbey: next to Parliament.

4.    Underground War Cabinet Rooms: nearby. They were closed in 1945 after VE day and never opened until 1977 so they were left intact for nearly 30 years. Still are.

5.   The Changing of the Guards: There are two locations, the more popular one is at Buckingham Palace but equally good and less well known are the Horse Guards near the previous three items.

6.   The London Eye: expensive, slow. Never did it.

7.    Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221B Baker Street: if you like that sort of history.

8.   The British Museum: the Rosetta Stone and so much more archaeological history.

9.   The British Library: a Gutenberg Bible and more historical books and documents (Magna Carta, etc.).

10.  Ye Old Cheshire Cheese: one of the oldest functioning pubs in London. Touristy but good food and history.

11.  Covent Garden: shops and food.

12.  Carnaby Street and Soho: just because! FREE!

These should keep you busy for two days.

Jim, Cabin 8500

P.S. Grew up in Westchester County, born in Brooklyn. Lived in Manhattan until I was five.

On 4/26/2023 at 4:25 AM, Mary V said:

Hi!   My husband and I are excited about going on this wonderful transatlantic cruise!  We are traveling from NY to London and spending a few days in London before the trip.   We have never been to London and I heard it’s a great place to visit.   Mary and Bob 

Hi, Mary and Bob, See my note to Pattycruise about London.

Jim, cabin 8500

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I love cruising. My late husband and I cruised quite a bit.  We loved to cruise and had some great cruising and times.  Met some great people during our cruising , which I am still friends with. 
I have continued to cruise quite a bit with friends and family.  This will be my third cruise this year. 
I challenged myself to do my first transatlantic cruise SOLO.  Friends and family did not have the time to do this  

Hope to meet some of you around the ship  

Safe travels to all  

Irene 

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Anthem of the Seas - Oct 15, 2023 - Oct 30, 2023 (15 Night Transatlantic Cruise)