MDR & Carry-On Questions

Hi!  First Cruise on Allure Aug 6.

My questions are the following:

1) Is the MDR open for lunch on Embarkation day?  It sounds like the Windjammer can get quite packed.

2) If we plan to bring only carry-ons (meaning backpack+rollaboard) on the plane, would it be easier to just carry those on board the ship ourselves or will they make us check our rollaboards with the RC porters?

3) Since we're not checking bags with our airline, we will need to buy liquids like sunscreen at the stores near the port.   We're staying at the Hyatt near the port and from what I can tell on Google, it looks like there are shops.  If anyone has feedback about what type of stores you can find near the port, I'd be really interested in hearing it.

Please feel free to answer any or all of the questions.  Thank you so much in advance.

1. The MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation say, unless you have purchased "The Key"

2. You can, at your discretion, carry your bags on the ship, or check them with the porters.  They will need to go through the x-ray machine if you carry them on, but if they fit throughout he machine at the airport, they will fit at the pier.

3.There are Walgreens, CVS, and Publix (as well as a Total Wine) on 17 th street, very near to the port and your hotel.

I don't know if you are from the Southeast or not but, there is a Publix Grocery Store (they have a drugstore inside of the Grocery store) on the north side of 17th Street Causeway.  I'd go there and while you are picking up what you mention and get some of their Original Publix Ice Cream.  Their OJ and Italian bread ain't bad either.

Thanks for the great info.  It's very helpful.   I'm from Colorado, but have heard of Publix and it sounds like we have a lot of options.   Since we're flying in a day early, we'll have plenty of time to stroll around and find the stores that you guys are mentioning.

14 minutes ago, burbuja0512 said:

Thanks for the great info.  It's very helpful.   I'm from Colorado, but have heard of Publix and it sounds like we have a lot of options.   Since we're flying in a day early, we'll have plenty of time to stroll around and find the stores that you guys are mentioning.

17th Street is a plethora of shopping, eating and entertainment options.  For night life, Los Olas Blvd., west of U.S. one is world famous.   

BTW, I'm not a big fan of the Ft. Lauderdale Beach, A1A, area.  But, that's just me.

2 hours ago, burbuja0512 said:

2) If we plan to bring only carry-ons (meaning backpack+rollaboard) on the plane, would it be easier to just carry those on board the ship ourselves or will they make us check our rollaboards with the RC porters?

You can definitely carry these on yourself, but staterooms may not be available until the afternoon so you would be carrying/rolling all of your bags with your around the ship until then.

41 minutes ago, KJones said:

You can definitely carry these on yourself, but staterooms may not be available until the afternoon so you would be carrying/rolling all of your bags with your around the ship until then.

My fear is lost luggage.   It's kind of the reason I never like to check bags with the airlines.  So I don't really relish the idea of lugging them around the ship, but it sounds so overwhelming that the porters have to get luggage correct for thousands of people in such a short amount of time....  I will really think about this point though.

1 hour ago, burbuja0512 said:

My fear is lost luggage.   It's kind of the reason I never like to check bags with the airlines.  So I don't really relish the idea of lugging them around the ship, but it sounds so overwhelming that the porters have to get luggage correct for thousands of people in such a short amount of time....  I will really think about this point though.

The folks on this board can help calm your fears…or maybe confirm them…

How often do you guys get lost luggage on a cruise ship? It’s never happened to me but I’ve only been on a handful of cruises so it’s not a large sample set. 

18 hours ago, 10-42 said:

I don't know if you are from the Southeast or not but, there is a Publix Grocery Store (they have a drugstore inside of the Grocery store) on the north side of 17th Street Causeway.  I'd go there and while you are picking up what you mention and get some of their Original Publix Ice Cream.  Their OJ and Italian bread ain't bad either.

My middle son lives in Texas (born and raised in FL).  We went on a cruise out of Miami a few years back when Mrs Fan and I were still in Florida.  He and his wife fly in and we pick them up at the airport and ask him does he need anything.  Yes dad... A Publix Boars Head Ultimate sub.  I said that we would be boarding the ship in a hour or so.  Nope, not good enough. Still need that Publix sub.  No Publix in Texas and the boy was craving it.  So we drove to the port and he and his wife scarfed down the sub along the way.

18 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

My middle son lives in Texas (born and raised in FL).  We went on a cruise out of Miami a few years back when Mrs Fan and I were still in Florida.  He and his wife fly in and we pick them up at the airport and ask him does he need anything.  Yes dad... A Publix Boars Head Ultimate sub.  I said that we would be boarding the ship in a hour or so.  Nope, not good enough. Still need that Publix sub.  No Publix in Texas and the boy was craving it.  So we drove to the port and he and his wife scarfed down the sub along the way.

But, you have HEB!  Good place, too.  But, I may be a little bit bias, I like Publix the best.  

If you check in your bag with the porters, make sure you keep a small backpack or beach bag.  In this bag, should be your medications, sunscreen, and bathing suit.  Medication just in case your baggage goes into a deep dark hole. Sunscreen and bathing suit so you can sit out on the deck in the gorgeous sun, waiting for your room to be read. Have fun.  Leave your worries behind. 

28 minutes ago, KJones said:

@burbuja0512If you're comfortable with the technology (I know not everyone is) you could place an AirTag or Tile inside the bags you hand over to the porters to better track them.

You can also do it the old fashion way and print out an extra copy of your luggage tag and put it in your luggage (on top). I have also read that people will 'laminate' their luggage tag using clear shipping tape - less likely for the luggage tag to fall off.  And still others will purchase a plastic luggage tag holder with a steel cable. 

21 hours ago, KJones said:

@FireFishIIwe use the plastic tag holders, they're great. But for the OP's concern about luggage getting lost, I mentioned the AirTags because you can pinpoint where they are if they were to be lost (or at least, on the ship vs. didn't make it onto the ship).

I totally agree @KJones. But since you mention 'comfortable with technology', I thought I would give them a low tech solution just in case their bags get lost.  Also by using the plastic tag holders, it reduces the chance the paper tag will be torn off and lost - thus increasing the chance of their bags getting lost.  But overall, the chances of the bags getting lost is pretty LOW - especially when  you compare it to the airlines. LOL!  

I second Publix for great subs! They have a nice little lunch counter there with a few options.

if you opt to hand over your roll on carry-on bags to the Porter, make sure your tote bag that you keep with you has your vaccination card and passport and phone charger in it, just on the minuscule chance your bag does go missing. I have done many cruises with Royal and have never had a bag lost. But you do want to  keep those important things close by. I second the recommendation to throw a swimsuit and flip-flops, sunglasses and a hat into your tote bag… Embarkation day is the perfect day to hop into the hot tubs, swim, or try out the Flowrider. It’s much less crowded than the rest of the week.  Also don’t forget to make those show reservations as soon as you get on board! 

if you enjoy smoothies and light snacks, the vitality spa café is another option. Very limited choices there but light and healthy snack options such as smoothies and small sandwiches. Cafe Promenade will also have small sandwiches and small desserts and specialty coffees.