Port of Tampa

Ok, I've got a question that's bugging me.  🙂 I'm pretty good at the Google machine but can't find the answer. (@ one time I think I knew.) What is the largest Royal Caribbean ship class that can get under the Skyway bridge? (Port of tampa) To add another question for discussion, When do you think the Port of Tampa will no longer be a viable cruise port because of said Skyway?

Only Radiance and Vision class ships can pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. That bridge will never be raised up, so Royal Caribbean will need to keep some of those classes of ships around or build another ship small enough to pass under that bridge if they wish to continue to sail out of the Port of Tampa. And Tampa's not the only one with this issue.

Four ports that probably wont get bigger cruise ships in the future | Royal Caribbean Blog

20 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

Only Radiance and Vision class ships can pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. That bridge will never be raised up, so Royal Caribbean will need to keep some of those classes of ships around or build another ship small enough to pass under that bridge if they wish to continue to sail out of the Port of Tampa. And Tampa's not the only one with this issue.

Four ports that probably wont get bigger cruise ships in the future | Royal Caribbean Blog

Thanks! Now I know where I found the info before. 🙂 I think at some point Tampa will lose it's cruise business. (years from now) Especially as New Orleans and Galveston grow in market share, as they service the same itineraries.

The Tampa Bay area has done studies to remediate the low bridge problem. The most viable option is to build a Port outside the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. A manmade island area near the northern part of the bridge) has been mentioned. Many years and $700 million away from an answer though.

"The Port Authority would build the terminal on an artificial island created by the dredging that would be needed to create a channel for the ships"