What is the best deck for a balcony? Is 8224 too far from elevators/steps

Hello! I am going on Allure of the Seas and I am unsure as to what deck is best for a balcony. I was looking at deck 7, 8, or 12. I didn’t know if room 8224 is too far from elevators. I was also looking at 12570, but I didn’t know if the sound from the elevators is an issue. Please let me know! This is my first cruise. Thank you!

Personal preference. I like to be closer to the areas I spend more time at which will of course be different for everyone. Generally speaking, I like to be somewhere in the middle as far as decks goes, so I'm more or less halfway between say the Promenade or Central Park (if Oasis class) and the higher decks. I'd rather walk 5 flights than wait for an elevator (opinion formed pre-covid).

21 minutes ago, Hotwheels said:

I'm traveling with two teenagers, I tend to get close to the elevators and a bathroom, because my son.....well, I can only handle so much of his....toilet damage.

I'll be on Allure in 8280 because I looked up the deck plan to make sure the men's room was close.  🤣

Personally, I don't want to be too close to the elevators.  Why?  #1. Noise.  Groups of drunks (which I'm proudly a member of at times) hanging out in the foyer by the elevators/stairwell having a good time but noisy.  #2. Kids knocking on your door and don't have to run too far to hide/run up or down the stairs to get away.  #3. I can't think of the 3rd yet.  

One should not be shocked to see that Royal Caribbean has deck plans right on their own website!  🙂

Go to RoyalCaribbean.com - choose "ships", then the ship you are looking at, and then scroll down to "deck plans".  I also use cruisedeckplans.com when I'm looking for photos and videos.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/allure-of-the-seas/deck-plans/2140/08

A little more aft and you will be closer to the rear elevators which take you to the Windjammer and Main Dining  Room, which is convenient if you don’t like to walk a lot.

you can use Central Park as a cut through, pretty walk, instead of dreary hallways.

I have stayed on Oasis (same class ship) in the aft balcony and boardwalk balcony and never had noise issues worth noting. 

otherwise your cabin selection is 1/2 way to each elevator which means walking hallways.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:31 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

One should not be shocked to see that Royal Caribbean has deck plans right on their own website!  🙂

Go to RoyalCaribbean.com - choose "ships", then the ship you are looking at, and then scroll down to "deck plans".  I also use cruisedeckplans.com when I'm looking for photos and videos.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/allure-of-the-seas/deck-plans/2140/08

I have seen all of the deck plans, but I have never been on a cruise so I have no idea in real life what is the best place to be. It looks like it might be a ways down the hall, but also it shows grey areas without any explanation. I have no idea what the grey area is in between chops grill and park cafe. I really just was interested to hear if anyone has seen first hand how the rooms are situated and if it is in a noisy area. Thank you for the link!

On 5/9/2022 at 11:05 PM, Pattycruise said:

A little more aft and you will be closer to the rear elevators which take you to the Windjammer and Main Dining  Room, which is convenient if you don’t like to walk a lot.

you can use Central Park as a cut through, pretty walk, instead of dreary hallways.

I have stayed on Oasis (same class ship) in the aft balcony and boardwalk balcony and never had noise issues worth noting. 

otherwise your cabin selection is 1/2 way to each elevator which means walking hallways.

There were no rooms closer to the elevators left. I was just hoping where that cabin is across from the grey area isn’t something that will be noisy 

On 5/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, Mark_A said:

Best thing to do is google ship name and deck plans!  this will show you where the cabin is on the deck you are looking at..  hope this helps!

Thank you! I have vastly looked all over the internet for answers but one thing the deck plans can’t tell you is what the grey areas are. Also I find it helpful hearing other peoples experiences if they have stayed in a room near there. I have no reference for what it is like on A cruise so I am overthinking everything until I am crazy😜 

I prefer close to rear elevators (noise has never been an issue on any RCL ship I've been on) and a high deck 1-3 levels below pool deck because I hate waiting for elevators when I don't need to or walking down a long hallway to get back to the room.

Ultimately I would pick a floor near wherever you would spend the most time.  It will save you allot of walking and vacation time unless you are actually looking to lose weight by doing a million steps.

22 hours ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

Our last cruise, which was on Allure, we were in cabin 14174, near the elevators, but we didn't hear a thing. We have cabin 12274 on Harmony this September, just down a bit from the elevators. 

We will be on 14254 in November.  How's the view from up there?  Did you have issues with more motion?  Personally I love the motion, but the wife gets wheezy pretty easy.  We will be under the sports pool, but I'm hard of hearing anyway so I don't think noise will bother me.

I think your best chances for noisy cabins are cabins that are directly underneath the pool deck, or directly above or below the theater or bars, as those stay open late and have live music. I generally choose a cabin on one of the floors that has only cabins and I try to choose a floor that has cabins below and above. I hope that helps. 

I’m not sure what those gray areas are either, but I think they may be storage areas or laundry rooms or things like that.

1 hour ago, Jailman said:

We will be on 14254 in November.  How's the view from up there?  Did you have issues with more motion?  Personally I love the motion, but the wife gets wheezy pretty easy.  We will be under the sports pool, but I'm hard of hearing anyway so I don't think noise will bother me.

Great view! We did not have any issues with motion, even when we ran through a nasty batch of thunderstorms. We were very close to one of the cantilevered hot tubs and did not hear anything.  

21 hours ago, Hshpuppy12 said:

I have seen all of the deck plans, but I have never been on a cruise so I have no idea in real life what is the best place to be. It looks like it might be a ways down the hall, but also it shows grey areas without any explanation. I have no idea what the grey area is in between chops grill and park cafe. I really just was interested to hear if anyone has seen first hand how the rooms are situated and if it is in a noisy area. Thank you for the link!

I usually like cabins on Deck 9 thru 11.  Depends on ship.  I do not want the deck below the pool areas.  We always reserve cabins in mid section near aft. Usually 2-4 cabins from elevators.  Never hear any noise from elevators.  But we do not cruise on the older ships anymore.

And I watch out for the grey areas next to cabins.  That is crew area, and can be noisy with their carts and work they are doing.  The other grey areas, like the one you mentioned between restaurants, I assume are the kitchens and work areas for crew.

40 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I usually like cabins on Deck 9 thru 11.  Depends on ship.  I do not want the deck below the pool areas.  We always reserve cabins in mid section near aft. Usually 2-4 cabins from elevators.  Never hear any noise from elevators.  But we do not cruise on the older ships anymore.

And I watch out for the grey areas next to cabins.  That is crew area, and can be noisy with their carts and work they are doing.  The other grey areas, like the one you mentioned between restaurants, I assume are the kitchens and work areas for crew.

Some of the grey areas in midship are the smoke stacks running from the engine room.

We were in 8326 on the Allure on the 4/30 sailing and didn't hear anything, including the neighbors.  It looks like 8224 is about the same distance from the elevators just in the opposite direction and I didn't think it was all that long of a walk.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2022 at 9:31 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

This is what I get when I try to look at deck plans on Royal's site.  It's been like that for months.  Ship doesn't make a difference, it just won't show the deck plan for any deck.  But, I just go to other sites that do have good deck plans:

image.thumb.png.626e32ddcd8fe78f535d1886b392abce.png

11 minutes ago, Suite Snob said:

This is what I get when I try to look at deck plans on Royal's site.  It's been like that for months.  Ship doesn't make a difference, it just won't show the deck plan for any deck.  But, I just go to other sites that do have good deck plans:

Huh, I have never had this happen.  One of my favorite third-party sites is cruisedeckplans.com - useful because you can layer the deck views and easily see what's above or below any area in which you are interested.

8 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Huh, I have never had this happen.  One of my favorite third-party sites is cruisedeckplans.com - useful because you can layer the deck views and easily see what's above or below any area in which you are interested.

It may have something to do with my laptop's security/privacy software.  I have lots.  So, I take it in stride and move on to sites like the one you linked to.

1 hour ago, Suite Snob said:

I’ve gotten that same thing many times, but I have also been able to view the decks at times too!  Not sure what makes it work or not work 🤷🏼‍♀️