Passports?

The following is my opinion and my opinion only.  I'm not trying to tell ANYONE what to do or not do.  This is just my opinion:

I've been in/on many social media sites for a couple of decades now.  One thing I've noticed is the myriad questions dealing with passports, basically the same questions over and over again.  It is my opinion that if you travel, intend on traveling, may at anytime in your life travel, get a passport.  If you get a passport, there is no question if you need one or not, you have it.  A passport is easy to get (especially if you are a citizen of U.S.A.), relatively cheap, and quick.  

Also, if you cruise, it is my opinion that if you go ashore in a Port of Call, take the passport with you!  My opinion, don't leave it in the stateroom.

There, I've got my opinion (and your milage may vary) off my chest.

Agree to a point--no reason not to get an official passport.

On taking passports off the ship, you run the risk of theft, especially in particular hot spots for pickpockets.  So you need a secure (can't be cut) under-the-shirt passport holder, or some other device that is anti-theft.  I gave up taking them off the ship when I started snorkeling and taking boat rides - no security really available. On one boat ride, the launch was swamped and our passports were almost ruined with seawater (while I was fully clothed).  We stick with Royal excursions, so we aren't worried about being left behind.  In an emergency we are confident that the Port Agent will help us reclaim items in our room safe.

I agree to get a passport to travel.  But cheap is not what I would say. it was over 800 for me my wife and my 6 year old daughter to get our books and cards.  On top of that we had to wait like a month or 2 to come in and even longer to get our birth certificates back.  I'm just saying 800 is alot of money to us 

23 minutes ago, Johar4469 said:

I agree to get a passport to travel.  But cheap is not what I would say. it was over 800 for me my wife and my 6 year old daughter to get our books and cards.  On top of that we had to wait like a month or 2 to come in and even longer to get our birth certificates back.  I'm just saying 800 is alot of money to us 

Perspective!

BTW, I as born and raised in Montreal.  A few years ago I requested several official copies of my birth certificate, I got ten of them.  So, there is no reason to send anybody, including the government, your one and only official copy of your birth certificate, if that's what you did. 

So, you got 3 passports and 3 passport cards for $800.00 or a little more.  Yes, that's expensive but the benefit way out weighs the cost.  That's my point. 

In the U.S. if my wife and I are first time applicant we'd pay $390.00 and our (which we don't have now) under 16 year old, we pay $150.00, that's $405.00. Take in consideration the currency exchange rate, I don't think your cost is too much more, at today rate, that's $522.XX Canadian.  Yes, more expensive, for sure.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/fees.html

What fees should I pay?

I'm an adult (16 and older) and I'm applying for the first time

You will need to pay two fees - an application fee and an acceptance fee. For more information on how to apply, please see First-Time Applicants.

Product Form Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $130 $35
Passport Card DS-11 $30 $35
Passport Book & Card DS-11 $160 $35

All child applicants must apply in person. You will need to pay two fees - an application fee and an acceptance fee. For more information on a passport for a child, please see Children Under 16.

Product Form  Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $100 $35
Passport Card DS-11 $15 $35
Passport Book & Card DS-11 $115 $35

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

Agree to a point--no reason not to get an official passport.

On taking passports off the ship, you run the risk of theft, especially in particular hot spots for pickpockets.  So you need a secure (can't be cut) under-the-shirt passport holder, or some other device that is anti-theft.  I gave up taking them off the ship when I started snorkeling and taking boat rides - no security really available. On one boat ride, the launch was swamped and our passports were almost ruined with seawater (while I was fully clothed).  We stick with Royal excursions, so we aren't worried about being left behind.  In an emergency we are confident that the Port Agent will help us reclaim items in our room safe.

That's why I carry mine in a ZipLock bag, flatten the air out it and stuff it in my pants pocket that has a zipper on it, not perfect but good enough of a compromise.  I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  Just one emergency medical evacuation being held up because of no passport will change your mind real quick, remember you HAVE to have a passport to fly back to the U.S. for ANY reason, even medical emergencies.  If you are in port on an excursion and you have a medical emergency, you have the insurance to get you back to the U.S. but you don't have your passport, you're _hit out of luck until someone contacts the ship to bring your passport or until the U.S. Embassy provides authorization for the travel by air without a passport. It's just too easy to carry the passport.  My opinion, again!