Pre Cruise Covid testing

Like many cruise travels, we ordered a proctored Covid test following the link provided by royal caribbean (Proctor being EMed) The test was going to be used on 5/5 within the window for our 5/7 cruise.

The box contained 2 tests (for 2 cruisers) and one of the test test reagent vial was sealed but EMPTY!, making the test unusable. The best EMed said they could do was replace the test but not in time for the cruise!

We paid another 165 dollars out of pocket to comply with the pre-cruise test guideline and not have associated cruise testing drama

Neither Emed or Royal Caribbean is sympathetic to the issue.  Someone needs to fix this for us and reimburse the added out of pocket expense

Edited by Old Man Cruiser
Mis spellings

This definitely isn't an RCL issue, but I would push EMed for a refund. You ordered a time-sensitive product, and they delivered a faulty one. A replacement isn't a viable solution, so they should be refunding if. If not, potentially grounds for a chargeback with your CC company, but will depend a bit on EMed's specific policy. 

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

They have always in the past offered to do that.

But heed the warnings and always have at least on extra test for every 3-4 people testing

We bought 2-6 packs for the 4 of us.  Probably overly cautious but we can always keep the others on hand for our next cruise, if they still require. 🙂

20 hours ago, Fredsbabe said:

I booked free tests for 2 different Walgreens in case one would cancel us for some reason. Worked out great this morning. Results emailed in less than 2 hours!

What specific test did you order from Walgreens and were you successful in getting on board the ship with the results they provided? I am very much afraid of the telehealth system...too many people needing results and the system being overwhelmed. I'm also afraid that the proctor will not speak English well enough or clearly enough for us to understand him/her. Royal Caribbean has been far less than helpful and this is our first and, if we get to go, it will be our last. There are far better games in town!

Just a point of clarification ...... A  polymerase chain reaction test (PCR test) uses the process of Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) to detect SARS2 viral particles. The test Walgreens uses is machine processed in the store using NAAT technology; results within 2h - 1 hour is common). Its not sent out to a lab (2-3d is common). Accordingly, these are called "rapid" PCR tests. PCR tests are also known as molecular tests A PCR or molecular test is highly accurate and has a 1% false negative rate.  

Rapid Antigen (AG) tests take 15 minutes to process using a card with a control line on it. These tests detect antibodies to the SARS2 virus. They have a 3-10% false negative rate depending on the product - still pretty accurate. Abbot Binax/Now claims a 3% false negative rate.

Unless you're pre-boarding testing requires a PCR test, I'd recommend against getting one of these. It is not rare for your body to harbor SARS2 viral particles long after you caught and recovered from COVID. You are not infectious under this circumstance but if you pop positive on a PCR test, you'll be denied boarding. 

A driving factor for which test you get could be the lessened availability of clinic based AG testing. CVS in South FL where I live no longer offers the AG tests, only PCR (drive through). You may also find your health insurance won't cover a clinic based (monitored) test. Do your research. Check with the pharmacy at which you plan to get your pre-boarding testing done and make sure they have and will administer the test you need/want. AbbotBinax/Now monitored home test remain, IMO, the best option for pre-board  testing.  

I just wanted to echo what some have said here. I am cruising (first time cruiser) tomorrow for a 4 day Bahamas cruise on Independence and had a Walgreens COVID (NAAT) test done yesterday. It was a very easy process in the drive through and got results back in less than an hour. It was free and all they need is ID matching the name of the person taking the test.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, jrey51 said:

This definitely isn't an RCL issue

I would agree if it was just a product defect.  But, Royal is a partner with this as they advertise it on their site and offer links to the retailer.  So, I'm thinking that Royal should at least pressure the retailer and the manufacturer do a lot more than just allow the manufacturer to say that they will offer a replacement but it won't get there in time.  Also, the retailer should pressure the manufacturer to do a lot more, too.  It's a circular firing squad.  But, I'd pressure all three to dig deep into their pockets and send a replacement OVERNIGHT!  If none of them do anymore to make thing right, I wouldn't blame the purchasers for making as a big public stink as they can about it.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Just a point of clarification ...... A  polymerase chain reaction test (PCR test) uses the process of Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) to detect SARS2 viral particles. The test Walgreens uses is machine processed in the store using NAAT technology; results within 2h - 1 hour is common). Its not sent out to a lab (2-3d is common). Accordingly, these are called "rapid" PCR tests. PCR tests are also known as molecular tests A PCR or molecular test is highly accurate and has a 1% false negative rate.  

Rapid Antigen (AG) tests take 15 minutes to process using a card with a control line on it. These tests detect antibodies to the SARS2 virus. They have a 3-10% false negative rate depending on the product - still pretty accurate. Abbot Binax/Now claims a 3% false negative rate.

Unless you're pre-boarding testing requires a PCR test, I'd recommend against getting one of these. It is not rare for your body to harbor SARS2 viral particles long after you caught and recovered from COVID. You are not infectious under this circumstance but if you pop positive on a PCR test, you'll be denied boarding. 

A driving factor for which test you get could be the lessened availability of clinic based AG testing. CVS in South FL where I live no longer offers the AG tests, only PCR (drive through). You may also find your health insurance won't cover a clinic based (monitored) test. Do your research. Check with the pharmacy at which you plan to get your pre-boarding testing done and make sure they have and will administer the test you need/want. AbbotBinax/Now monitored home test remain, IMO, the best option for pre-board  testing.  

The following is not directed toward you directly/personally, @JeffB

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"

The Abbott BinaxNow is an antigen test.   You can check 20 different statistical sites for false negative with different testing kits and you'd probably get 20 different statistics.  One thing for sure, I wouldn't use the manufacturer's statistics or the CDC's at this point.  For example:  Abbott says they have a 3% false negative rate.  While the CDC says it is 8.9%, I think, see below.  

I'm only trying to say that as laypersons we can only do what we can do, get as much information as we can and understand.  If you go to the CDC's website (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7003e3.htm) it's several pages of if's, and's, and/or but's, what kind of swabs were used, if the subjects has symptoms or not, if the subject was over 12 or not, how many days from onset of symptoms to test,  if the world is flat or not and on and on and on.  I don't know how anybody can make head or tails of it all.

Bottom line:  Just do what is good for you.  Don't stress about statistics, just get tested and move on with life.  All of this AIN'T worth it.   I've got three options for my pre-cruise testing they are the iHealth home proctored test (which I've already scheduled for) technically if I come up negative with that, I'm good.  The eMed (Abbott BinaxNow) home proctored test, and a rapid test done at my local urgent card facility (walk ins welcome).  If I come up positive with one, I'll go on to the other, if I come up positive with the second, I'll go to the third.  If I still come up positive, I guess I have COVID, again.  But, all it takes is one to say you are negative and you're good to go for cruising.  Unless you are like me and don't want to unnecessarily spread the virus.  I'd verify the positive test, somehow, and cancel my cruise. It would suck, that's for sure.

Relax and enjoy as you prepare safely for your next cruise.  

4 hours ago, 10-42 said:

I would agree if it was just a product defect.  But, Royal is a partner with this as they advertise it on their site and offer links to the retailer.  So, I'm thinking that Royal should at least pressure the retailer and the manufacturer do a lot more than just allow the manufacturer to say that they will offer a replacement but it won't get there in time.  Also, the retailer should pressure the manufacturer to do a lot more, too.  It's a circular firing squad.  But, I'd pressure all three to dig deep into their pockets and send a replacement OVERNIGHT!  If none of them do anymore to make thing right, I wouldn't blame the purchasers for making as a big public stink as they can about it.

RCG is not partner with Abbott or eMed. Abbott is a laboratory and they barely have partnered with the government. RCG has partner with Optum to sell the test. Royal has no direct branding on the test, it is marketing only.  If the person got their test from eMed, then they need to deal directly with them. eMed and Optum are two different store fronts. RCG markets these tests because at the time, they were the gold standard in ETesting. The person should have contacted eMed and gotten a refund and/or new expedited test, which they have done plenty of times when something like this occurs. 

4 hours ago, 10-42 said:

The following is not directed toward you directly/personally, @JeffB

I've got three options for my pre-cruise testing they are the iHealth home proctored test (which I've already scheduled for) technically if I come up negative with that, I'm good.  The eMed (Abbott BinaxNow) home proctored test, and a rapid test done at my local urgent card facility (walk ins welcome).  If I come up positive with one, I'll go on to the other, if I come up positive with the second, I'll go to the third.  If I still come up positive, I guess I have COVID, again.  But, all it takes is one to say you are negative and you're good to go for cruising.  Unless you are like me and don't want to unnecessarily spread the virus.  I'd verify the positive test, somehow, and cancel my cruise.

How many tests are you going to take to verify your positive? You've just stated if your first comes up positive you'll take another, then another and another before saying "ok, I'm positive and then canceling my cruise." Will you keep testing until you get a negative result so you can go on your cruise? 

23 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

RCG is not partner with Abbott or eMed. Abbott is a laboratory and they barely have partnered with the government. RCG has partner with Optum to sell the test. Royal has no direct branding on the test, it is marketing only.  If the person got their test from eMed, then they need to deal directly with them. eMed and Optum are two different store fronts. RCG markets these tests because at the time, they were the gold standard in ETesting. The person should have contacted eMed and gotten a refund and/or new expedited test, which they have done plenty of times when something like this occurs. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

More on Abbott Brand Tests

We get a lot of questions about Abbott tests, the most commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s accepted.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision. Learn more about our Abbott telehealth home test kit.
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a telehealth representative, is NOT accepted.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

For guests sailing on transatlantic cruises that embark in the U.S. for Europe, or those who need re-entry testing to return to the U.S. from an international cruise, we recommend taking two approved self-administered telehealth kits, such as the supervised Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test, per vaccinated traveler. These kits are convenient, afford you flexibility to obtain test results 24/7, and can be used to satisfy testing requirements such as pre-cruise testing and re-entry into the United States. 

That's only two pages on Royal's website that mentions Abbott that only took about 3 minutes to find.  Call my syndical but when a website owned by a retail company directs you to other pages in it's website touting the purchase/use of another produce, it's a little more than a tacit relationship.  I'd bet a dollar to a donut that Royal is receiving some sort of compensation for their continued support for the sales of the Abbott test kits.  Why don't they give the same attention to the about a dozen other companies that are FDA Emergency Use approved?  Maybe because there is a partnership of some kind with Abbott?  I think so.  I was born at night, but not last night.  

I think you are hung up with my use of the word "partnership".  I use that term loosely.  I don't necessary mean that Royal owns a part of Abbott, is a major stock holder (but could be) in Abbott, or is receiving direct payments for its advertising of Abbott.  Royal or someone in the upper aristocracy may be gaining something.  If I could, I'd follow the money.  I spent too many years as an criminal investigator to miss the signs, as stated below, I'm not saying there is anything illegal or criminal going on.  It's just that there are signs of a benefit going to someone/thing for the mentions.

NOW, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there IS anything illegal going on here, not a bit and I'm not qualified to say that there are any "white color" crimes going on anyway.  I'm a very very strong and supporter of capitalism.  Let the money flow.  But, do I believe there is SOME SORT of a partnership going on.  Hell yes I do.  But, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  

14 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

How many tests are you going to take to verify your positive? You've just stated if your first comes up positive you'll take another, then another and another before saying "ok, I'm positive and then canceling my cruise." Will you keep testing until you get a negative result so you can go on your cruise? 

I recall when the advice from some on this site was IF you popped a positive to retest again (obviously hoping for a negative). Also, more recently, suggestions offered on how to help make sure you're negative by using saline or alcohol (?) nasal rinses.

People have alot invested in their vacations. They just want to get on the ship. 

35 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

There is something else going on.  There has been some disagreement about whether tests other than Abbott telehealth proctored test kits are acceptable for use, like the iHealth telehealth proctored test kit.  I've maintained that as long as the test kits meet the FDA requirements and the Royal Caribbean requirements, which I believe iHealth does.  So, I have stated that, and I will do it, I will take the iHealth test this coming Wednesday and show/post the copy of the test results here and then when I get into the terminal or on the ship showing that I did it with the iHealth system.  

Being the person I am and I know that I'm not trying to be the smartest kid on the block, I'm going to also do the Abbott test as well, JUST IN CASE I'M WRONG!  Which I could very well be, if Royal at the Seattle terminal doesn't accept the iHealth test, I'll have the Abbott as back up.  BUT, since I've said that, others have chimed in and said that they have used the iHealth test with no issues/problems at all.  But, I'm going to do it anyway since I have all these test kits laying around.  I got the Abbott test kits before I found out that there were other alternatives to the Abbott.  So, I have the iHeath test kits, that were free from the U.S. Government, that I've already paid for a telehealth proctored session, bought and paid for and the Abbott test kits and telehealth proctored session paid for.  So, I might as well use them this Wednesday before I get on the ship Friday afternoon.  

So, actually if I come up positive twice, that's it, I'm cooked.  If the first two come up positive, no need to go to the third, I'm cooked.  If the first is positive but the second is negative, I'll go on the the 3rd test.  If the third is positive, I'm cooked.  If the third is negative, I'm off to the races.  

12 minutes ago, fireclan said:

I recall when the advice from some on this site was IF you popped a positive to retest again (obviously hoping for a negative). Also, more recently, suggestions offered on how to help make sure you're negative by using saline or alcohol (?) nasal rinses.

People have alot invested in their vacations. They just want to get on the ship. 

I'm not sure but I think I was the first to mention the rinsing your nose out with saline prior to a test.  BUT, that was intended for those who had COVID within 90 days of the test knowing that you could come up positive for about +/-90 days even though you are actually not sick or can pass it on.  But, now I understand that there is some sort of a certificate for recent COVID folks.  

Well, I'm over the COVID testing discussions.  It's getting real old.  Other than posting my iHealth test results and then getting on the ship with them, I'm done.  There must be dozens of threads that start with COVID testing conversations or morph into a discussion of COVID testing, it's a little much.  I've said my peace, I've provided links to the horses mouth, I've done all that I can to provide information and that's all I've tried to do.  

I'm moving on.  See ya in other threads!