$0 balance due emails

Has anyone else been receiving emails that they are past due on their final payment, but all documents say the outstanding balance is $0? I've gotten three of these emails at this point, one shortly before the 30 day deadline, one on the 30 day deadline, and one at about 25 days. When I received the second notice (on the 30 day deadline) I called customer service and the rep seemed confused, but told me I had a balance due of $0. I'll probably be calling again this weekend, but wanted to see if anyone else here had experienced the same thing.

MEI Travel is the recommended one.  I'm a little biased, though.

I've seen several reports on here of people seeing strange things with their bookings. I will also say I have seen a lot more scams out there about past due balances.  For example I was getting one from Verizon, but they assured me it was a scam.  So I'm wondering if there has been some data breach somewhere.

1 hour ago, Carrie22 said:

Has anyone else been receiving emails that they are past due on their final payment, but all documents say the outstanding balance is $0? I've gotten three of these emails at this point, one shortly before the 30 day deadline, one on the 30 day deadline, and one at about 25 days. When I received the second notice (on the 30 day deadline) I called customer service and the rep seemed confused, but told me I had a balance due of $0. I'll probably be calling again this weekend, but wanted to see if anyone else here had experienced the same thing.

THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT

I've got a few kinda similar emails from other sources.  It's nerve racking, for sure.  But, the closer I look at the email I find that they weren't sent (looking at the "from" line) from the business they supposedly represent.  It turned out to be a hack.  Usually the emails have a from something like:  [email protected] as an example.  Since I've gotten a VPN and I use DuckDuckGo (no, I'm not affiliated in any way) as my search engine and an add killer, the B.S. has subsided to an almost stop. 

8 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

Usually the emails have a from something like:  [email protected] as an example. 

Oh interesting, thanks!  I just took another look and my emails have been from [email protected] and the links and phone numbers all seem to be real (no one is asking for my passwords or credit card info or anything). 

I just called again - and got lucky with a 1 minute wait time - and was once again told that I do not have a balance due so I'm just going to try to relax!

• 3 weeks later...

Paid cruise off 5/16. Received cancellation email on Saturday 5/21 showing zero balance. Called Royal Caribbean on Saturday 5/21 and told to disregard. Received email this morning that cruise was cancelled. 😡 On phone now and have to transfer to resolutions department and wait could be up to one hour. This is an international cruise with cruise, flights, hotel, transfers, and travel insurance. 😤😡 I have never had such a terrible experience with Royal Caribbean. 

Update: Spent 5 hours on phone yesterday between various departments and on hold. Cruise is still not restored to original paid invoice. Still missing the precruise hotel and transfers and travel insurance. Being told those will be refunded in 30-45 days and I will need to rebook through another department. 

Unfortunately, I did not book through a travel agent and am having to deal with this myself. If there is a next time, I will book through a travel agent. 

Update 06/03 Cruise, Flight, hotel are rebooked. Fingers crossed 🤞 no more issues. Thank you to the Miami team. 

Edited by Unbelivable12
Follow-up info

5 hours ago, Unbelivable12 said:

Paid cruise off 5/16. Received cancellation email on Saturday 5/21 showing zero balance. Called Royal Caribbean on Saturday 5/21 and told to disregard. Received email this morning that cruise was cancelled. 😡 On phone now and have to transfer to resolutions department and wait could be up to one hour. This is an international cruise with cruise, flights, hotel, transfers, and travel insurance. 😤😡 I have never had such a terrible experience with Royal Caribbean. 

That’s so frustrating… please update with their resolution 

27 minutes ago, Paid4c4 said:

Our TA takes care of all RCCL bills and payments.  About a week from our cruise she will send us the cruise contract, receipt paid in full, insurance coverage and depending on the cruise luggage tags.

Bill

Even with my TA taking care of things, it was a cruise planner glitch (I book Cruise Planner things myself, as do most people) that caused it.  It said no money was due, but then due to the glitch, and even though it said zero balance, they canceled the cruise for a balance due (which wasn't real).  So this 0 balance due email is very concerning.

My guess is there's a rounding issue in the software behind the scenes.  Due to some sort of glitch with currency conversion or something else, the customer ends up owing a fraction of a cent ($0.0001).  But when they display the bill and send the email, it auto-formats to the standard 2 digit dollar amount ($0.00) which makes it appear you are paid in full.  The people on the phone say everything is fine because they probably see the same thing.  But the system knows the customer owes a "balance" and cancels the cruise because they aren't looking at the amount just whether it is zero.  It's a rookie coding error, but that seems par for the course with Royal's IT.