Nice beaches in Bonaire?

Gingy5

So I did the Navigator 9 day from Miami that visits Curacao, Aurba, and Bonaire.  I have to say, of all the ports of call I've been to, Bonaire was simply incredible.  I cannot give a high enough recommendation to Renee Snorkel Trips.   Renee is a former marine biologist who relocated to Bonaire 25 years ago. Her knowledge is simply second to none.  I certainly won't get into the pro's and con's of booking an excursion through RCI or through places like Shore Excursioneer, but I will tell you what we were looking for.  

1.  Something unique

2.  Something not packed full of our other shipmates 

3.  Something affordable 

I stumbled upon her website about 2 months prior to sailing.  Her website says she does small groups, and the cost for a two hour trip is 40 dollars, equipment and beverages included.  I'm sold.  

When she says small groups, she means it.  It was my sister, my dad, and a couple from the ship from Toronto.   We drove about ½ mile down the street from the ship and just parked on the road and she said that this was our first stop.  I thought it was somewhat strange, but when I tell you that you will encounter more fish than you have ever seen in your life, I'm not exaggerating.  The only fair comparison I can make is that it was like snorkeling in a fully stocked aquarium.  Renee points out all of the different varieties of fish, including several octopus.   The water was calm, and crystal clear.   Renee ventured to say at the first stop we saw between 150-200 different species of fish all at a depth of 4-7 feet. 

The second stop is the Bonaire Marine EcoPark which offers the deeper of the two stops, and it allows you to see the vast schools of fish swim through the coral.  This stop is about 5 minutes in the opposite direction of the first stop.  

I hate to be 'that guy' that gushes... but out of the 12+ sailings I've done, Renee offered the best excursion I've come across.  To give you an idea of how impressed I was, outside of the 120 dollars it cost for the three of us to go, we tipped her another 120 dollars because of how friendly, and knowledgeable she was as a tour guide.  

http://www.reneesnorkeltrips.com

• 5 weeks later...

Snorkeling and diving on Bonaire are really superior....but the beaches are not that great.  They are very rocky and full of coral.

There is a little beach area that you can actually walk to from the ship that has a little pier where the water taxi docks... but again, it is very rocky so if you decide to go there (or any beach, IMO) be sure and bring your water shoes or flip flops.  Otherwise, you will tear your feet up.

Snorkeling and diving on Bonaire are really superior....but the beaches are not that great.  They are very rocky and full of coral.

There is a little beach area that you can actually walk to from the ship that has a little pier where the water taxi docks... but again, it is very rocky so if you decide to go there (or any beach, IMO) be sure and bring your water shoes or flip flops.  Otherwise, you will tear your feet up.

Thanks for the warning about the beaches...will be sure to have my water shoes.

Off this topic, how do you list your prior cruises on your profile?  I would like to list mine, but I am not sure how to do it.  Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

We did the private snorkel trip in Bonaire with Renee. We've been on many snorkel trips and this by far was the best. You may think that the excursion is only 2 hours...how good could it be? Well...you spend about an hour and a half in the water...with an expert! Most snorkel trips...wait to get on a catamaran or some other boat with 50-75 other people...spend 30 minutes getting to a destination...some more time waiting to get into the water...snorkel around looking for stuff...after 20 minutes you're called back to the boat...etc., you get the picture.

With Renee...there were four of us, me, my wife and another couple. Short walk to Renee's van, 5 minute drive to first stop and you get in the water right there from shore. Trust me, in Bonaire you don't need to go far at all and you don't need to get on a boat. Wow...the sea life, most varieties I have seen in one place. Renee spends most of the time pointing out the wildlife, explaining the reef and the ecosystem. About 45 minutes in the water, get out and hop in the van for a short drive to stop number 2 for another 45 minutes or more. After stop number Renee drops you back at the ship. $40/pp

One important thing, this is a snorkel trip, not a learn to snorkel trip. Some snorkeling experience is required.

http://www.reneesnorkeltrips.com/

9 hours ago, PRC said:

IMO the best beaches in Bonaire for good sandy surface along with incredible snorkeling within 25 yds from shore are over on Klein (little) Bonaire.  Quick water taxi away.  very primitive but makes for a wonderful day!

Very primitive = no bathroom facilities. :2_grimacing:

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

That's my first concern too

Coming from the man who lives in Florida. ;)

I think people underestimate how intense the sun can be in the Caribbean even in the winter time, so this is a very important consideration regardless of what island you are visiting. 

There was a crude "pavilion" that was about 12x12, and the two "guides" that stayed with us brought a pop-up 12x12 canopy (mostly to protect the folding bar table and coolers!) 

There was a very crude restroom facility (my Y chromosome allows me to improvise as conditions warrant!)

There also is the remains of a fire pit / grill but is is crumbling.  No further development us allowed on the island as it is an uninhabited and protected environment.  The day trip excursions must be self sufficient.  

I loved it but we did have PC skies and the November temps were low 80's.  July or so would be different!