Refreshment package worth it or not?

Trying to decide if the refreshment package is worth it for our family or not.

First question: if we are boarding on July 2, and leaving the ship on July 7, does that count as 5 or 6 days? Seems like it should only be 5 days since boarding is after noon the first day, and before noon the last, but just making sure.

The refreshment package is currently 22.99 per person per day. That comes out to almost $700 for our group of 6 for our trip (assuming we'd only be paying for 5 days). Seems like a lot to pay just for drinks, especially if we'll be off the ship for a good part of 2 of the days and have to pay for drinks in Bermuda. But it may be worth it to have the peace of mind of not having to worry about how much each person is drinking every day. The question is: how much do they charge for sodas and mocktails? Trying to figure out how quickly we'd get to $23 if we were paying for each drink.

You pay for whatever the "day" count on your cruise is. If it's listed as "5 night/day cruise" you pay for 5 days 
I'm not sure for soda/mocktails but if I remember correctly espresso drinks were around 4-5$ so most was similar to on land. 

It really comes down to personal preference on the package if you think it's worth it for yourself & family 

As Matt would say: it depends. Like you said, you'll be off for a couple days there for port days. It depends on how much you think you'll all drink on the ship. I got the package for my upcoming cruise because I didn't want to have to worry about how much I drank. I drink a ton of soda and since smoothies, mocktails, and fancy coffees are included, I know I'll be drinking a lof of those, too. If your family aren't big drinkers, then you might be better off ordering al a carte. From what I've seen, a soda is around the $4 mark. Smoothies are $8.25 according to the RC sample menu.

12 minutes ago, Lexster said:

As Matt would say: it depends. Like you said, you'll be off for a couple days there for port days. It depends on how much you think you'll all drink on the ship. I got the package for my upcoming cruise because I didn't want to have to worry about how much I drank. I drink a ton of soda and since smoothies, mocktails, and fancy coffees are included, I know I'll be drinking a lof of those, too. If your family aren't big drinkers, then you might be better off ordering al a carte. From what I've seen, a soda is around the $4 mark. Smoothies are $8.25 according to the RC sample menu.

Smoothies are included? I don't see that listed in the refreshment package details. I don't remember there even being smoothies when we last cruised 3 years ago. Unless they are offered at a specialty place?

2022-05-04_12-44-18.png

41 minutes ago, CruiseMom82 said:

Wouldn't smoothies be included with shakes? For me, it's not worth it ; ) I'd much rather spend the money on an excursion or at the spa! ; )

I have no idea? I'm thinking it might be worth it. A mocktail or 2 a day, plus sodas with meals, and my daughter loves smoothies. It will add up quickly.

Sodas will be $3-4 and mocktails seem to be about $7. The drink package also gets you a cup to use at the Coke Freestyle machines, which you wouldn't be able to use at all without one of the drink packages. This obviously gets you all the soda combinations as well as a few flavored/sparkling waters and Powerades. The drink package can also be used for grabbing canned/bottled water which is nice for excursions or just bringing back to the room. Finally, smoothies can be found at Vitality Spa, at least on the bigger ships. I'm not sure about smaller ones, but I imagine they might be somewhere like Lattitudes or Park Cafe.

You don't have to get the drink package for everyone if not everyone will get their money's worth - you can always get it for one or two people and others can just buy individual drinks.

Smoothies are included, but that will be on ships that have a Vitality spa. Not all ships serve/have smoothies.

As far as worth it, it will again be based on what you personally think. If you have multiple sodas with dinner, a few mocktails by the pool and need bottled water. You breakeven fairly fast as a bottle of water 2.99+grats alone. As far as port days go, you really spend maybe half a day at the ports. You will probably come back to eat dinner and go to shows. So, factor in that you will drink the entirety of the cruise regardless of if you leave the ship or not. 

2 hours ago, Carrie22 said:

Sodas will be $3-4 and mocktails seem to be about $7. The drink package also gets you a cup to use at the Coke Freestyle machines, which you wouldn't be able to use at all without one of the drink packages. This obviously gets you all the soda combinations as well as a few flavored/sparkling waters and Powerades. The drink package can also be used for grabbing canned/bottled water which is nice for excursions or just bringing back to the room. Finally, smoothies can be found at Vitality Spa, at least on the bigger ships. I'm not sure about smaller ones, but I imagine they might be somewhere like Lattitudes or Park Cafe.

You don't have to get the drink package for everyone if not everyone will get their money's worth - you can always get it for one or two people and others can just buy individual drinks.

I was wrong, this only applies to the alcohol package!

Actually, I'm pretty sure everyone in the room has to have the drink package to prevent sharing.

2 hours ago, Lexster said:

Ah okay, thought it was also the refreshment package.

I can concur with @Atlantix2000, only the Deluxe Beverage Package has the rule that everyone over the age of 21 in the same stateroom has to purchase it. 

From the website:

Important details and advisements

• Each adult of legal drinking age assigned to the same stateroom must purchase this package.

23 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Smoothies are included, but that will be on ships that have a Vitality spa. Not all ships serve/have smoothies.

I just looked, Adventure of the Seas does have a Vitality Spa. Are you able to just go in and ask for a smoothie, at no charge with the refreshment package?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 2:58 PM, Lexster said:

You should be able to, yes! The Vitality Cafe is where you want to go.

I was reading elsewhere that not all Vitality Spas have a cafe. Specifically, only Oasis Class ships: Allure, Oasis, Harmony, Symphony, and Wonder have one. Just wanted to correct the record for anyone who might stumble upon this thread in the future.

3 hours ago, JerseyJoe said:

I was reading elsewhere that not all Vitality Spas have a cafe. Specifically, only Oasis Class ships: Allure, Oasis, Harmony, Symphony, and Wonder have one. Just wanted to correct the record for anyone who might stumble upon this thread in the future.

It is more so that not all ships have the cafe, not that the cafes won't have the smoothies.

Boarding day counts as day 1 and that's when you can start using your purchased packages (drink, dining, photo); debarkation counts as "day 6" but i think that's only a technicality since nothing of your stuff rolls over to that day.

Mocktails generally run about the same as cocktails at 12 or 13 each.
You should also calculate in that with the refreshment package you also get specialty coffee, tea and juices and the cup which you can fill before you leave the ship.

Honestly, I think the refreshment is a good deal if you drink coffee and mocktails. I tried convincng my mom to get it but we have a suite and can make coffee and tea in the room.

2 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Mocktails generally run about the same as cocktails at 12 or 13 each.
You should also calculate in that with the refreshment package you also get specialty coffee, tea and juices and the cup which you can fill before you leave the ship.

They actually don't cost as much as cocktails. Depending on the type it will run you from $6-9. My mother doesn't drink and allows herself 1 smoothie a day and I paid for it out of packet, it was like $8 I believe.

14 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

They actually don't cost as much as cocktails. Depending on the type it will run you from $6-9. My mother doesn't drink and allows herself 1 smoothie a day and I paid for it out of packet, it was like $8 I believe.

you know what..you are probably correct. My mom got mocktails but she tipped like 2 or 3 on them so that's probably why I got that price.

I have only bought the refreshment package for one of my kids. The other would not drink soda. If you have a die-hard beverage drinker, go-ahead, but I am a water drinker,  and there is juice for breakfast, coffee,  tea, lemonades, milks (chocolate too), which are included in the cruise.