How long do you "stay home" pre-cruise?

17 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

It’ll be Fantastic the day they discontinue pre cruise Covid testing. It makes for stress and neurosis pre cruise. Already enough of that as it is. 

That's for sure.  I've never stressed like I have for this one that I leave on next Friday.  It's almost, I say again, almost not worth it.  But, I'll force myself to go and be pampered for 7 days.  I think I'll survive.

9 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Lol. Please read the OP’s title and post again. It doesn’t ask “what” but rather clearly asks “how long.” It implie that the OP is contemplating isolation. 

by posting comments about not doing anything at all, even if it poses little risk, is still “risk inducing.” Try again.

The title is not always reflective of the post. It was a "what" as in an/the actions we take pre-cruise. I was merely saying your wording implies that because we don't change behavior, we are going to cause harm. Which was not true as many weren't engaging in risky behavior. I have no control over anyone but myself and my posting shouldn't have any bearing on a reader's behavior. Even if you didn't mean it that way, your post implied shame as does this one. 

I work in a hospital, so there's my risk factor. DH & younger DD work from home, & will mask when in crowded places. Older DD goes to an adult day program, & just prior to Christmas, was exposed, ended up catching it, and was still positive the day before our cruise on Jan 9, so we couldn't go.  Ironically, we had planned on keeping her home the few days after Christmas break to minimize her exposure, but it wasn't soon enough.   And, we had won a Royal Up bid to a 2BR Grand suite from our Junior Suite, which made it even more disappointing.  

We have a B2B scheduled on Oasis starting Aug 5, and we're thinking of keeping her home for the 2 weeks prior, again, to minimize contact.  There's been several cases reported at her day program just this week, & we just got told 2 cases were in her room. They had lifted masking for the participants, but we insisted that she stay masked, so hopefully she is safe this time.  

I live like a nun for 2 weeks 😷 …. not taking any chances on our needed vacays. But since the pandemic started we have been using Instacart and never stopped. We used Hello Fresh and so all that helps. My husband is going back into the office now so that does change things, but we will do our best and cross our fingers. 🤞🏼

We (our family of 4) will be limiting our exposure time the week before we travel. Masks when we’re out, additional hand washing, etc. Maybe take Emergen-C and/or echinacea for a bit. 
We are on Voyager for a Baltic cruise, so we have a long flight from Chicago to Stockholm, and will have to figure out the Covid antigen testing when we get there. 

On 5/6/2022 at 4:35 PM, Ampurp85 said:

The title is not always reflective of the post. It was a "what" as in an/the actions we take pre-cruise. I was merely saying your wording implies that because we don't change behavior, we are going to cause harm. Which was not true as many weren't engaging in risky behavior. I have no control over anyone but myself and my posting shouldn't have any bearing on a reader's behavior. Even if you didn't mean it that way, your post implied shame as does this one. 

Not here to "shame" anyone.  I stand by my words.  If the OP is wondering about pre-cruising precautions and mitigating measures, any post that suggests doing nothing does in fact create risk.  Now, I will say again, I respect everyone's opinions whether I agree.  But if the OP stated something like "I am not going to do anything different prior to testing, what do you think?" OR "Please tell me your experiences of not taking preventive measures to test negative" that is entirely different.

So many people are saying, including me, that the most stressful part about cruising these days is the testing.  Then why add to the stress?  

If anyone has to go to work physically, or kids are still in school, etc., by no means go the extreme route and take time off prior.  Just mask up and avoid larger crowds.  Fact is, if you test positive, you ain't boarding.  My family cannot reschedule our cruise, so we get one shot this summer.  

If you or anyone else take offense to my fact-based, objective opinion, I AGAIN apologize.  I am NOT here to shame. I feel no need to revisit junior highschool.  

36 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Not here to "shame" anyone.  I stand by my words.  If the OP is wondering about pre-cruising precautions and mitigating measures, any post that suggests doing nothing does in fact create risk.  Now, I will say again, I respect everyone's opinions whether I agree.  But if the OP stated something like "I am not going to do anything different prior to testing, what do you think?" OR "Please tell me your experiences of not taking preventive measures to test negative" that is entirely different.

So many people are saying, including me, that the most stressful part about cruising these days is the testing.  Then why add to the stress?  

If anyone has to go to work physically, or kids are still in school, etc., by no means go the extreme route and take time off prior.  Just mask up and avoid larger crowds.  Fact is, if you test positive, you ain't boarding.  My family cannot reschedule our cruise, so we get one shot this summer.  

If you or anyone else take offense to my fact-based, objective opinion, I AGAIN apologize.  I am NOT here to shame. I feel no need to revisit junior highschool.  

We have agreed to disagree without being disagreeable.  @CruisingNewbguess what?  I disagree!

First:  For someone that's trying not to shame, you do a good job of it when you say, "I feel no need to revisit junior highschool".  @CruisingNewbdisagreeable, hypocritical and wrong and doesn't meet the standards of this forum.  But, that's for others to decide.

"We are thinking about doing our errands and groceries 3-7 days in advance.  Thoughts"?  That is a question of what others think of what to do.  And doing nothing different is what some feel is to do.  

Myself and others have stated our thoughts that we will not change a thing.  I'll not stay home/isolate for 3 days, 5 days, or two weeks.  I'll continue to do what I do.  And what I do is maintain a respectable distance from others, I generally don't like people anyway and have always stayed away.  When others are coughing/sneezing, I stay far away.  I don't lick door knobs.  I don't kiss strangers.  My family isn't physically close to us so I don't get close to kids that were in school all day.  I do, if I have to, run to the store, post office, med appts., and so on.  

Life is full of risk.  I could get in an accident on the way to the Airport, driving to the Terminal, Flying, get a bad cold or flu, or or or...........  With today's stats, I believe I have a greater chance of not making my cruise because of other reasons other than testing positive.  I'll live my life and cruise or not, that's my risk, period.   

But, I'll still be hiding SOMETHING on the ship for someone to find.  

21 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

We have agreed to disagree without being disagreeable.  @CruisingNewbguess what?  I disagree!

First:  For someone that's trying not to shame, you do a good job of it when you say, "I feel no need to revisit junior highschool".  @CruisingNewbdisagreeable, hypocritical and wrong and doesn't meet the standards of this forum.  But, that's for others to decide.

"We are thinking about doing our errands and groceries 3-7 days in advance.  Thoughts"?  That is a question of what others think of what to do.  And doing nothing different is what some feel is to do.  

Myself and others have stated our thoughts that we will not change a thing.  I'll not stay home/isolate for 3 days, 5 days, or two weeks.  I'll continue to do what I do.  And what I do is maintain a respectable distance from others, I generally don't like people anyway and have always stayed away.  When others are coughing/sneezing, I stay far away.  I don't lick door knobs.  I don't kiss strangers.  My family isn't physically close to us so I don't get close to kids that were in school all day.  I do, if I have to, run to the store, post office, med appts., and so on.  

Life is full of risk.  I could get in an accident on the way to the Airport, driving to the Terminal, Flying, get a bad cold or flu, or or or...........  With today's stats, I believe I have a greater chance of not making my cruise because of other reasons other than testing positive.  I'll live my life and cruise or not, that's my risk, period.   

But, I'll still be hiding SOMETHING on the ship for someone to find.  

1.  I was wrong.  The junior highschool comment was snarky.  Sorry.

2. There is a difference between saying "do nothing" and what you are saying.  You are still practicing preventive measures by maintaining distance.  Honestly, I don't really like being around too many people anyways.  That is still doing "something."  

3. Life is always full of risks.  In fact, my family all have a really bad case of the flu right now and was hoping it was Covid so that we could get a certificate of recovery instead of having to test.  Alas, its not Covid.  

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

2. There is a difference between saying "do nothing" and what you are saying.  You are still practicing preventive measures by maintaining distance.  Honestly, I don't really like being around too many people anyways.  That is still doing "something."  

3. Life is always full of risks.  In fact, my family all have a really bad case of the flu right now and was hoping it was Covid so that we could get a certificate of recovery instead of having to test.  Alas, its not Covid.  

Oh...so sorry it's not COVID (hmm, never said that before!).

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

2. There is a difference between saying "do nothing" and what you are saying.  You are still practicing preventive measures by maintaining distance  LAST COMMENT ON THIS - But, I haven't changed anything!  That's the point, I'm doing nothing different, if doing nothing different is doing something then, "Guilty, Your Honor".  Honestly, I don't really like being around too many people anyways.  That is still doing "something."  

@CruisingNewb I hope your family gets better soon.

That is why I said your wording is off. Those of us who said we don't stay in more.......literally specified that as introverts, with little family and little reason to be in "risky" situations, we maintain our routine. There is no need to get ready, if you stay ready. I take precautions all the time and before covid even happened. 

Yes, the testing causes anxiety for a lot of people. But I worry about everything, as anything can go wrong. There is often a lot of moving parts to any vacation. 

I think most of the swirl around "doing nothing" is because there are different interpretations.

"I'm not doing anything different leading up to the cruise" does not mean taking ZERO precautions. It means the individual isn't changing anything from their current level of precautions. 

I could increase my precautions significantly and still be seen as "taking too many risks" by many of my peers. Would that be better than "not changing anything" by those doing more than I am?

3 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I think most of the swirl around "doing nothing" is because there are different interpretations.

"I'm not doing anything different leading up to the cruise" does not mean taking ZERO precautions. It means the individual isn't changing anything from their current level of precautions. 

I could increase my precautions significantly and still be seen as "taking too many risks" by many of my peers. Would that be better than "not changing anything" by those doing more than I am?

BINGO. 

Nothing different is significantly different than doing nothing.

13 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@CruisingNewb I hope your family gets better soon.

That is why I said your wording is off. Those of us who said we don't stay in more.......literally specified that as introverts, with little family and little reason to be in "risky" situations, we maintain our routine. There is no need to get ready, if you stay ready. I take precautions all the time and before covid even happened. 

Yes, the testing causes anxiety for a lot of people. But I worry about everything, as anything can go wrong. There is often a lot of moving parts to any vacation. 

Point taken and thank you.

This cold is turning out to be the worst cold my family has had in years.  We tested for Covid twice now in the hopes of testing positive but nope.  Ironic that we are hoping for Covid now so that we can cruise later. 

• Matt locked this topic