How long do you "stay home" pre-cruise?

I am wondering how long folks are "staying in" prior to a cruise to ensure a negative COVID test.  I realize some folks can't or don't self-quarantine before a cruise, but for others, how many days are you planning?  We are thinking about doing our errands and groceries 3-7 days in advance.  Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Not what you asked but heres my 2 cents, if you are worried about catching asymptomatic covid leading up to the cruise, just wear an N95 mask and go about your business, that should help immensely and it allows for not having to restrict your activities prior to.

Thanks, we already do that.

We didn’t stay home completely but did cut back on interactions with crowds and close settings.  No hugs when greeting anyone and stayed away from public shopping areas for the final week before our cruise.  Only place I needed to go was my mom’s nursing home which they make us wear N95 masks anyway as well as keep a safe distance away.  I will admit I hugged my mom when I was leaving even though I wasn’t supposed to!  Being safe is one thing…but sorry it’s my mom, I am going to hug her!  
So you sound like you have a good plan.

7 days, but we did this every  sailing even before COVID. We just wanted to make sure we limited exposure to anything, ie strong perfumes make my nose run for a day or two. Nothing worse then not being able to enjoy your sailing to the fullest. We did our shopping and running around and only went out to school & work. Making all my meals and eating at home made that first dinner on the ship that much more special. We have always done this so the only other place we visit now is a testing facility for the pre cruise test BUT I just ordered the EMED so no more of that either. 

Our normal activity is running to the grocery store, medical appointments, department stores, walking at the park, and I may go to certain unpopulated areas to fly my drone.  I don't change that activity at all.  I'm retired and don't live near family, so there isn't much to do, otherwise.  For example, our next cruise experience starts next Wednesday and I really don't have any need to leave the house until then, except my daily walks at the park.  

So, I'd worry more about the preparation time and travel leading up to embarkation.  Flying, if you do, which I am for my next cruise in a few day, hoteling, restauranting LOL, travel to the port, processing in the terminal...................  

I don't change anything. I am pretty introverted and really only go out to go to work. I have a small family circle, so being around a lot of people doesn't naturally occur. I have sinus issues, so flying will always result in a few sniffles. My thing is I eat less for the few weeks coming up to cruising.

8 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

So, I'd worry more about the preparation time and travel leading up to embarkation.  Flying, if you do, which I am for my next cruise in a few day, hoteling, restauranting LOL, travel to the port, processing in the terminal...................  

But all of that happens AFTER you test negative and the worries about testing positive pre-cruise have passed.

For some of us, and I would wager many of us, our next cruise is a big deal.  My family hasn't been able to take a major vacation since summer of 2019.  Not saying we are getting "bent out of shape," but taking certain precautions is prudent.  

Also, again for some (if not many) of us, a cruise is a sizable investment for rest and relaxation.  I know that my family cannot reschedule our cruise should we get Covid and cannot board.  

I would say take simple precautions such as wearing a N95 mask and limiting exposure.  No need to isolate completely (unless transmissions rates are high in your area), but no need to unnecessarily expose yourself to large crowds.  You will get plenty of large crowd exposure on the ship.

We will be taking preventative measures about 5 days prior to flying out and testing on the morning of the flight.

20 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

But all of that happens AFTER you test negative and the worries about testing positive pre-cruise have passed.

True!  But, if you develop symptoms after the pre-test and you are honest or you are screened at the Terminal or on the ship it could cause issues, which I'm not going to worry about.  I'm going to go with the flow, if I get COVID, again, within the pre-cruise test and sometime on the ship, so be it.  I'll do the right thing.

I typically stay home anyway.  haha!

We usually start being more cognizant about a week prior.  We take an at-home test, then stay home to keep our negative test, negative.  We are all vaccinated (me and my two teenage kiddos), but we are worried about catching covid and not showing any signs.  And frankly, we want our vacation!  So we are willing to jump through these hoops to make sure we are allowed on board.

I've been work from home since Covid started, so I'm lucky I don't need to interact with people every day. I've still been wearing masks everywhere, but in the two weeks leading up I'm going to be even more cautious about what I do and where I go. For example, I got invited to a work industry mixer at a crowded bar next week, and last time I went at least 100 people showed up... so no to that. I will also definitely be wearing my N95 on the plane. We have a really limited window of vacation availability and the cruise we chose fit perfectly in that time slot. If we test positive it's not like we can just go the following week. It's an Alaska cruise, and it honestly might be really hard to find another time to go this season, so it's really important we don't test positive before this cruise.

We cut back what we could for the 2 weeks prior to our cruise meaning:

• kids had no get togethers with friends
  • extra curricular programs stopped
  • no family get togethers or seeing friends (didn't do the latter much anyways since covid)
  • kids wore N95 masks to school (normally it's just triple layer)

Things that continued:

• kids went to school
  • DH and I worked, but luckily for our last cruise we were both worked from home (that'll be partially changing soon though)
  • N95 masks when out (supermarket or in stores)

Until testing is removed (to get on a plane or on a cruise ship), I will be nervous and do what we can to try and avoid covid.

I have been on 3 vacations since March 2020 and all this madness began. I have not changed any of my habits pre or during except for being mandated to wear the mask during flights. I am in Canada so our testing (upon return)was more extreme for a long time and myself, my wife nor my kids have had covid or any positive tests. 

20 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

My thing is I eat less for the few weeks coming up to cruising.

You're doing it wrong! Cutting back on how much you eat leading up to the cruise causes your stomach to shrink (albeit slightly) which makes you get full quicker.

The right approach is to warm up for the excessive eating on the cruise by gradually increasing your food intake leading up to the cruise. That way, you won't be as uncomfortably full after each of your daily seven or eight meals.

We go about our business as usual mostly, other than not doing large gatherings or shows that put a bunch of strangers together in confined spaces for a period of time (in the two weeks leading up to testing).  We just do what we have throughout Covid.  

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

You're doing it wrong! Cutting back on how much you eat leading up to the cruise causes your stomach to shrink (albeit slightly) which makes you get full quicker.

The right approach is to warm up for the excessive eating on the cruise by gradually increasing your food intake leading up to the cruise. That way, you won't be as uncomfortably full after each of your daily seven or eight meals.

I literally do this for every vacation, and it works in my favor. I also don't do more than five meals. The only time so far, I have been even slightly uncomfortably full was a Star Class sailing.

I should clarify that for me eating less, usually means no eating of "outside" food. I usually get takeout 1-3 times a week because I am a pre-planner, and all my meals are cooked for the week. I have to break the monotony up, so I get something extra or dine sometimes with friends, coworkers, and/or family. I stop that about 6wks before I go on any vacation so I can eat all this none-prepared-by-me-food and appreciate it. 

I respect everyone's opinion on this topic.

Having said that, the comments regarding how some of you didn't change any pre-cruise routines and still got on board are very personal and overall risk-inducing comments.

I totally get freedom of choice.  Let me put it this way....say that your local lottery is up to one billion dollars.  We all know that the odds of winning the lottery are astronomical.  I tell you this though, during the days before the lottery draw, I see thousands of people flock to stores to buy a ticket.  Ever watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?  

Now, the odds of getting Covid are higher than most lottery odds.   If you spent thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, cleared out your family's schedule to fit the cruise, and spent months agonizing over the anticipation of cruising, even if your chances of getting Covid are slim, why not take precautions to ensure you board?  A week or so to take some preventive measures also adds to the release and joy in boarding your cruise does it not?

8 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Having said that, the comments regarding how some of you didn't change any pre-cruise routines and still got on board are very personal and overall risk-inducing comments.

I totally get freedom of choice.  Let me put it this way....say that your local lottery is up to one billion dollars.  We all know that the odds of winning the lottery are astronomical.  I tell you this though, during the days before the lottery draw, I see thousands of people flock to stores to buy a ticket.  Ever watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?  

Now, the odds of getting Covid are higher than most lottery odds.   If you spent thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, cleared out your family's schedule to fit the cruise, and spent months agonizing over the anticipation of cruising, even if your chances of getting Covid are slim, why not take precautions to ensure you board?  A week or so to take some preventive measures also adds to the release and joy in boarding your cruise does it not?

I’m confused. Are you saying people who can’t isolate before a cruise should not go?  

I’d have to take a vacation from work to isolate the week before I took a vacation from work for our cruise.  I can’t get two weeks back to back for vacation.

When the pandemic hit, my wife’s job transitioned to remote.   I can’t. I’m a butcher/meat cutter for a large regional supermarket chain.  Other than mask wearing, the only thing that changed for me (and my coworkers) was we had to work many more hours and had to deal with supply chain issues (and deal with how people behave toward us now, but that’s a thread for a different site 😉).

9 minutes ago, teddy said:

I’m confused. Are you saying people who can’t isolate before a cruise should not go?  

I’d have to take a vacation from work to isolate the week before I took a vacation from work for our cruise.  I can’t get two weeks back to back for vacation.

When the pandemic hit, my wife’s job transitioned to remote.   I can’t. I’m a butcher/meat cutter for a large regional supermarket chain.  Other than mask wearing, the only thing that changed for me (and my coworkers) was we had to work many more hours and had to deal with supply chain issues (and deal with how people behave toward us now, but that’s a thread for a different site 😉).

Not at all.  I am not saying that.  I am sorry if you took my comment as offense.

If you or anyone else chose not to isolate OR could not due to circumstances, that is totally understandable! 

What I am saying is that comments of those who did not take preventive measures could lead to a future cruiser following the lead and maybe not getting on the ship because they got covid.  Real or not, right or left, the fact is that a positive test will result in not being able to board unless you have a timely certificate of recovery.

Now, you say that you wore a mask.  That is preventative measures! So this doesn't apply to you.  In fact, you are helping those people who cannot isolate understand that at least wearing a mask may have helped.  Also, if your wife was remote, then that is another preventative measure.  That is also positive for future cruisers to know.

My family and I cannot completely isolate a week before, but we intend to avoid unnecessary gatherings, wear masks, and stay home for most of that week.  Not complete isolation, but doing whatever we can to ensure boarding. 

When I posed my original question, I knew there would be differences in approach to pre-cruise planning, but I was not trying to be divisive.  I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts, from which I have learned a great deal.  And I truly thank all who continue to work and support the rest of us.  We are really looking forward to our cruise next month and wish everyone a safe and wonderful journey.  Cruising can be therapy for all of us!

45 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

When I posed my original question, I knew there would be differences in approach to pre-cruise planning, but I was not trying to be divisive.  I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts, from which I have learned a great deal.  And I truly thank all who continue to work and support the rest of us.  We are really looking forward to our cruise next month and wish everyone a safe and wonderful journey.  Cruising can be therapy for all of us!

8 days and counting down!

8 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I would say your wording is a little off. OP asked what we do and you somehow said by sharing we made "risk-inducing comments." Many of us who said we don't change our habits aren't "out in the streets." I work mostly from home and tend to stay in more than 75% of the week. So there isn't any reason to change my habits.

I tend to believe that people who change their routine for things like this often make more mistakes trying to be overly cautious. 

14 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I would say your wording is a little off. OP asked what we do and you somehow said by sharing we made "risk-inducing comments." Many of us who said we don't change our habits aren't "out in the streets." I work mostly from home and tend to stay in more than 75% of the week. So there isn't any reason to change my habits.

I tend to believe that people who change their routine for things like this often make more mistakes trying to be overly cautious. 

This is similar to my thinking behind my response.

The odds of getting COVID are what they are, the risks I am willing to take on a daily basis dont change just because I am taking a cruise in a week or two, so neither does my behaviour.

15 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Lol. Please read the OP’s title and post again. It doesn’t ask “what” but rather clearly asks “how long.” It implie that the OP is contemplating isolation. 

by posting comments about not doing anything at all, even if it poses little risk, is still “risk inducing.” Try again.

Everyone has their own risk tolerance and how they look at things.  

The way I see it...If nothing is going on in my life, then sure, I don't want to get sick or pass things to my family, but it's not quite as big deal.

But if something is coming up...vacation, or as an example, we have my DD's bat mitzvah next month....then yeah, I personally am extra nervous and we are extra cautious.  Since catching covid = goodbye trip or event cancelled, etc.  Huge disappointment, big loss of money we put out, and missing out on the event we soooo look forward to.  So we definitely take extra precaution AT LEAST the 2 weeks leading up to the event.  

36 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Lol. Please read the OP’s title and post again. It doesn’t ask “what” but rather clearly asks “how long.” It implie that the OP is contemplating isolation. 

by posting comments about not doing anything at all, even if it poses little risk, is still “risk inducing.” Try again.

In the OP the person asks/states that he/she was thinking of doing something outside of the home within 3 -7 days of the cruise.  Sounds like what they are doing, not just time to me.  

Being retired active Army and Law Enforcement, I'm not risk adverse.  I'll not change anything if I can help it.  PERIOD!