Hi all! 

I think I've posted on here before, but I am back as we get closer to our cruise date (Feb 3rd). My wife and I are going on the Majesty of the Sea. We stop at Nassau on Saturday and Cocokay on Sunday. This is the first time we've ever been on a cruise so really no idea what to expect. I do have a few questions though....

With the drink packages I saw something that said that 18% gratuity is automatically added at the bar. I have the drink package where I can basically get anything. Would the 18% be on top of that or is it automatically in the with package? Specialty coffees are not included from what I read. How much does a latte or something similar cost? 

We have a shore excursion at Nassau (snorkling). Do you think the directions to get to where we need to go for the shore excursion are pretty clear? Once we are off the boat, how easy is it to get a meal and is that a part of the ships complimentary food? How long does it take to get off and get back on the ship? 

How are the mosquitoes this time of year (zika virus concerns)?

We will be sailing during the superbowl. I normally am not too concerned, but I have a few bets placed this year. The superbowl is supposed to start  during our my time dinning. Do they have TVs in the room to check the score every so often?

Thanks for all the help! 

N00BCruiser

Welcome to Royal Caribbean Blog! We have a great community of friends here, who are super helpful. Hope to see you around the boards.

With the drink packages I saw something that said that 18% gratuity is automatically added at the bar. I have the drink package where I can basically get anything. Would the 18% be on top of that or is it automatically in the with package? Specialty coffees are not included from what I read. How much does a latte or something similar cost? 

Gratuity is included with the drink package purchase.  So after buying the drink package, when you order a drink, if the base price of the drink is $12 or $13 or less, you pay nothing for that drink.  

Here is a link to drink prices: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-drink-prices

We have a shore excursion at Nassau (snorkling). Do you think the directions to get to where we need to go for the shore excursion are pretty clear? Once we are off the boat, how easy is it to get a meal and is that a part of the ships complimentary food? How long does it take to get off and get back on the ship? 

Is your excursion through Royal Caribbean? Or via a third party?

How are the mosquitoes this time of year (zika virus concerns)?

Personal opinion..... the whole Zika thing was blown WAY out of proportion, similar to SARS, Ebola, West Nile and a bunch of other illnesses the media loves to harp on.  Winter is generally not an active season for mosquitos to begin with, but if you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, you should speak to your doctor about appropriate precautions.

We will be sailing during the superbowl. I normally am not too concerned, but I have a few bets placed this year. The superbowl is supposed to start  during our my time dinning. Do they have TVs in the room to check the score every so often?

There are televisions in the room, but the game will be shown at many spots around the ship.  As you might expect, a lot of guests are interested in watching it.

Guest toodle68

I don't recall seeing any TV's in the main dining room.. they will likely show it in most of the bars and probably on the big screen by the pool.  

As to mosquitoes.. I am someone who can be in a group of 500 people and be 'the one' who is bitten 50 times.. on our recent cruise at the beginning of Jan, I never heard or was bitten by anything.. including during the 3 excursions..  one of which was on the river in the jungle to see ruins.

Lots of good stuff in your reply Matt. Thanks for help! The excursion is through RC. My wife is pregnant. Our doctor referred us to the CDC site where we dont really have updates. We are going to take precautions (stay away from standing water. dont stay out too late inland. wear bug spray), but I think we feel it is overblown as well. We will still be very careful.

Toodle your comment was nice to hear. I am one of those people too. Although they leave my wife alone so thats another plus. Like I said above, we are taking extra precautions, but I have confidence we will be ok. 

The excursion is through RC.

If it's with Royal Caribbean, you will get an excursion ticket in your room.  There are usually instructions on that ticket.  If it's not crystal clear, then you can always go speak with the Shore Excursion desk (right next to Guest Relations) and get some more info there.

I booked an excursion in St. Thomas once through RC but the tickets were not clear on one aspect, so I spoke to the staff at the Excursions desk and they could not have been more helpful.

Do be careful yourself. If you contract the virus, it is a great chase you will transmit it to your wife. I am dealing with the same dilemma. My wife is in the middle of fertility treatments and I or we have three cruise in the next three months. Grand Cayman, Saint Marteen, south Florida all are moderate to high risk places. DEET or stay on the ship...that's my plan

Didn't notice if anyone answered your Nassau meal question. In Nassau the answer is no, no meal is covered under your RC cruise ticket price, only food onboard (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Some excursions offer snacks, or they'll stop at a restaurant at some point, the excursions desk onboard could probably tell you. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the dock.

In Coco Cay they do a "BBQ" for lunch, it's covered under your cruise price, because it's RCI's private island.

Have fun!