Voom surf + streem

Hi everyone 🙂

I'm deciding between buying the Voom surf or Voom surf + stream.

I would buy Voom Surf + Strem if I could stream Netflix of HBO Max on the TV in the cabin. Does this work? I don't acutally know how this works, I my head I just connect the phone to the Television, just don't know if they have smart TV on the Radiance of the seas, or do I need to connect with HDMI cabel. I would only bring my phone.

If this is not possible, than I think we don't need the Voom surf + stream. 

As I read this blog I see, that the internet on the Alaska cruise isn't always working.

How do you manage this?

Thank you :)

I was just on Mariner of the Seas last week and the Internet connection was very slow. It make even checking email a painful task but with that being said I have sailed on other ships where I was able to stream without any real problems. Sure every now and then the stream would buffer for a few seconds but for the most part I was able to stream the content in 720. The TV on Mariner I do not believe was a smart TV or nor were any of the other TVs I have seen in the cabins. Since I bring laptop I just use it as my streaming device.

As for streaming from your phone you would need an AV adaptor for your phone depending on if it was a iPhone or Android.

Something like the following would accomplish your task:

iPhone: https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-AV-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Hdmi+Cable+for+Phone+To+Tv&qid=1651663510&sr=8-3

Android: https://www.amazon.com/Android-Mirroring-Charging-Smartphones-Projector/dp/B08LN8Z6QX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1DIN9PBNFOO5F&keywords=android+to+hdmi+adapter+for+tv&qid=1651663768&sprefix=android+%2Caps%2C62&sr=8-3

In 2018 we did the inside passage on the Radiance and we had AT&T cell reception better than at home.  Only once or twice that we didn't but land was fairly close on both sides.  We were pleasantly surprised by this.  I download several shows/movies to watch onto my iPad so that I don't need internet to watch.  Not sure about the TV's though as I really didn't pay attention to that.

Ok, I see, that connecting the phone directly to the TV is not an option. As you said it will be better to download some movies and watch them offline. I think this is ths simpliest option, or see what is on the TV to watch.  Will need to bring my Ipad or laptop with me. 

Thank you all 🙂

48 minutes ago, Natashaaa said:

Ok, I see, that connecting the phone directly to the TV is not an option. As you said it will be better to download some movies and watch them offline. I think this is ths simpliest option, or see what is on the TV to watch.  Will need to bring my Ipad or laptop with me. 

Thank you all 🙂

Downloading the movies to an external drive is what I always do just in case the Internet connection does not work on the ship very well. If the Internet is working properly then I just stream movies from my home media server.

As for connecting your phone, ipad, laptop to the in room TV you will need a HDMI cable/adaptor to run to the back of the TV from your device. Once connected the TV will see the connection and using the remote you can change the input over to the HDMI port that your device is plugged into. I did this exact same thing last week when I connected my laptop to the TV on Mariner.