CDC Continues to RECOMMEND Masks in/on Public Transportation

Read all about it:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/s0503-covid-19-travel.html

CDC Recommendation for Masks and Travel

Media Statement

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, May 3, 2022
(404) 639-3286

At this time, CDC recommends that everyone aged 2 and older – including passengers and workers – properly wear a well-fitting mask or respirator over the nose and mouth in indoor areas of public transportation (such as airplanes, trains, etc.) and transportation hubs (such as airports, stations, etc.). When people properly wear a well-fitting mask or respirator, they protect themselves and those around them, and help keep travel and public transportation safer for everyone. Wearing a well-fitting mask or respirator is most beneficial in crowded or poorly ventilated locations, such as airport jetways. We also encourage operators of public transportation and transportation hubs to support mask wearing by all people, including employees.

This public health recommendation is based on the currently available data, including an understanding of domestic and global epidemiology, circulating variants and their impact on disease severity and vaccine effectiveness, current trends in COVID-19 Community Levels within the United States, and projections of COVID-19 trends in the coming months.

Along with staying up to date with COVID-19 vaccines, avoiding crowds, wearing a well-fitting mask or respirator is one of multiple prevention steps that people can take to protect themselves and others in travel and transportation settings.

For more information about safer travel during the pandemic, see Domestic Travel During COVID-19 | CDC and International Travel | CDC.

The following can be attributed to CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH: 

CDC continues to recommend that all people—passengers and workers, alike—properly wear a well-fitting mask or respirator in indoor public transportation conveyances and transportation hubs to provide protection for themselves and other travelers in these high volume, mixed population settings. We now have a range of tools we need to protect ourselves from the impact of COVID-19, including access to high-quality masks and respirators for all who need them.

Additionally, it is important for all of us to protect not only ourselves, but also to be considerate of others at increased risk for severe COVID-19 and those who are not yet able to be vaccinated. Wearing a mask in indoor public transportation settings will provide protection for the individual and the community.

While on our daily morning walk routine (about 0730hrs almost every morning) my hubby & I were walking outside on a walking path near our home. We were mask less not thinking anything of it. Another couple walking the wrong way on the path came towards us wearing masks & I smiled & said good morning. They jumped off the path and the lady screamed at me "we're immune compromised" are you trying to kill us? 

So many emotions in a matter of seconds.... OMG no, why would you infer this? (silently in my mind thoughts not spoken) Then again me in my mind; are they not realizing they are on a public trail? But ultimately sadness because a pleasant morning turned ugly quickly for both of us for different reasons. 

I'm at a loss, how disturbing and sad the level of fear was real, I saw it in her eye's and I thought, that is some ones relatives who are experiencing un due true stress, my heart breaks for humanity right now. While I refuse to lock myself away I am so tired of what is being done to us as mostly loving and kind human beings.

*We sailed the first cruise out of the Bahamas, sailed Thanksgiving, Christmas & Spring Break (Adventure, Oasis, Odyssey, Oasis) & have been able to disembark just as healthy as when we stepped on the ship. We have two more sailings scheduled finishing out our FCC's and are taking a break for a bit. Getting slightly tired of everything tethered to be able to sail. Exploring some new  experiences for a bit.

Everyone have a lovely day, happy cruising 🙂

Rant over.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

here in NYC,  our public bus and subways require masks

question for you, Ill be up there next week. Any restrictions i need to know about? Do i need to show proof of vaccination at any establishments at this time? Masks indoors at restaurants required? masks on the subway?

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

While on our daily morning walk routine (about 0730hrs almost every morning) my hubby & I were walking outside on a walking path near our home. We were mask less not thinking anything of it. Another couple walking the wrong way on the path came towards us wearing masks & I smiled & said good morning. They jumped off the path and the lady screamed at me "we're immune compromised" are you trying to kill us? 

So many emotions in a matter of seconds.... OMG no, why would you infer this? (silently in my mind thoughts not spoken) Then again me in my mind; are they not realizing they are on a public trail? But ultimately sadness because a pleasant morning turned ugly quickly for both of us for different reasons. 

I'm at a loss, how disturbing and sad the level of fear was real, I saw it in her eye's and I thought, that is some ones relatives who are experiencing un due true stress, my heart breaks for humanity right now. While I refuse to lock myself away I am so tired of what is being done to us as mostly loving and kind human beings.

*We sailed the first cruise out of the Bahamas, sailed Thanksgiving, Christmas & Spring Break (Adventure, Oasis, Odyssey, Oasis) & have been able to disembark just as healthy as when we stepped on the ship. We have two more sailings scheduled finishing out our FCC's and are taking a break for a bit. Getting slightly tired of everything tethered to be able to sail. Exploring some new  experiences for a bit.

Rant over.

I'd ask them that since masks work so well, why don't you believe they work so well.  You are masked aren't you.  Either they work or don't, which is it.  End of conversation!

50 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

question for you, Ill be up there next week. Any restrictions i need to know about? Do i need to show proof of vaccination at any establishments at this time? Masks indoors at restaurants required? masks on the subway?

So far nothing. Always good to have just in case. Mass transit still required masks but as someone who uses it daily, about 1/2 are still wearing. 

2 hours ago, Neesa said:

Rant over.

I am one of those people who, even outside, tries to keep 6 feet apart.  I don't wear a mask outside, but on calm days I always leave the path and walk on grass to avoid others.  In my case, I am not worried about becoming seriously ill, I am simply trying to do my part to kill the pandemic.  I know I can still carry the virus despite being double-boosted.  I just think it is a new world now, and we must be very respectful of others when it comes to public health.  I don't think poorly of others unless they "hog" the path as though I am the inconsiderate one....

18 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

I am one of those people who, even outside, tries to keep 6 feet apart.  I don't wear a mask outside, but on calm days I always leave the path and walk on grass to avoid others.  In my case, I am not worried about becoming seriously ill, I am simply trying to do my part to kill the pandemic.  I know I can still carry the virus despite being double-boosted.  I just think it is a new world now, and we must be very respectful of others when it comes to public health.  I don't think poorly of others unless they "hog" the path as though I am the inconsiderate one....

I'm not suggesting that we purposely go out and spread the virus, not one bit.  HOWEVER, herd immunity is probably one of the best ways to eliminate or seriously reduce the spread of the virus.  So, I'm not going to do anything to change my pre-COVID activities, law permitting, of course.  I'm not going to give way to this, "it's a new normal".  

But, as stated earlier, "You are welcome to do that". 

19 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

If being double vaccinated and double boosted doesn't "kill the pandemic", I'm  not sure walking on the grass around other walkers is going to help...but being a courteous person is always appreciated!

8 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Can we not debate what spreads Covid or not?

@NeesaThat's awful. It shouldn't have gone down that way. 

I've always thought conversation is a great way to become enlightened.  And, I don't believe there has been a debate in here.  Some, including me, have stated their opinion/belief and have purposefully avoided being disagreeable and/or political.  

7 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

And, I don't believe there has been a debate in here.  Some, including me, have stated their opinion/belief and have purposefully avoided being disagreeable and/or political.  

I left this site for a while because I couldn't take the Covid talk. Matt and co have been awesome about curbing it so absolutely no complaints with them and I realize this is a "me" problem to a degree.

It's been said SO MANY TIMES how people agree or disagree with the mandates. Opinions are great. Conversation is great but it always delves into something more. 

I'll see myself out.

@Neesa I am sorry that situation occurred and ruined a nice day and experience. I have had people snap on me in either direction, one person even brought my ethnicity into it. I have learned to curb my people expectations and not let it get me down.

I think people who don't believe this is a "new" normal, have no understanding of how "normal" occurs. 

That being said it is a recommendation. It is not just a recommendation that people wash their hands, yet people treat it as such. 

The issue is only the issues a person makes. I choose to respect everyone's personal decision. 

I am going to ask that a moderator stop any further comments.  My intent was to inform, period.  Some may feel it has rubbed their sensibilities wrong.  I'm sorry that happened.  But, to keep the good information available, please just stop further comments!