Mystery Refund

We received an unexplained refund of $101.98 from Royal Caribbean to our credit card.

Calling today to see about repricing a cruise past final payment, the representative says the account shows a balance due of $101.98 and that the cruise could be cancelled for failure to pay in full. Our online account page shows that there is no payment due on the cruise.

If I hadn't called today, there would have been no way to know that there is a pending balance.

Check your credit card statements and if you have mystery refunds due to a "system glitch" make sure you don't have any cruises in danger of being cancelled without notice.

A friend who had also gotten a mystery refund recently called about her sailing (also paid in full). She called Royal based on my experience. The exact same situation - no email, not showing in online account, pending payment on a cruise past final payment date.

Royal IT strikes again!

Happened for my upcoming Alaska cruise. 

However, mine was refunded to an FCC so I had no way to know until the booking was actually canceled since I didn't receive any kind of communication.  Finally figured it out what happened after many days of back and forth with TA and Royal.  Still trying to get everything straighten out on the pre-purchases that were also canceled because of it...

3 hours ago, billdauterive said:

Happened for my upcoming Alaska cruise. 

However, mine was refunded to an FCC so I had no way to know until the booking was actually canceled since I didn't receive any kind of communication.  Finally figured it out what happened after many days of back and forth with TA and Royal.  Still trying to get everything straighten out on the pre-purchases that were also canceled because of it...

The complete lack of communication by Royal is the biggest issue with the situation. Our Alaska cruise would have been cancelled for non-payment (despite a receipt that shows paid in full) if I hadn't called to try to get a lower price. Phone rep and customer care both attributed it to a "system glitch" but there was no explanation given for why no notifications went out. The cynic in me thinks the "system glitch" could be a ploy by Royal to get some free cash flow.

After paying the original refund back to Royal last Tuesday because the account was showing a balance due, there is no a new refund in the same amount posted to our credit card. Called about it and the same thing happened on the other sailing my wife is on that her friend corrected last week too.

This goes beyond a "glitch." Royal certainly seems to be trying to find an excuse to cancel for non-payment and keep the money.

Guess what? It happened again. Got a message from the friend with the same issue that another refund had showed up for the cruise with my wife ON A DIFFERENT CARD. Checked our account and found the same thing on our Ovation cruise that leaves on Friday.

We have now paid AGAIN to avoid concern with cancellation. Royal knows there is a problem but still has no idea WHY it's happening. And they clearly haven't corrected it yet. I'll be checking the account daily to make sure yet another refund doesn't show up before we get cleared to board. We'll have a printed copy of the original paid-in-full invoice with us on Friday as well as copies of the three paid-in-full invoices issued with the subsequent repayment, re-repayment, and re-re-repayment.

So far we've gotten a fruit and cheese basket, a bottle of wine, and $25 OBC on Friday's cruise "for our trouble." The other cruise so far has a bottle of wine and $25 OBC. Total value only accounts for about one hour of our time while dealing with the issue exceeds six hours (and counting because I have ZERO faith that they've gotten it corrected).

I almost hope the system issues another refund for this week's cruise AFTER we board. Good luck getting the money back at that point, Royal.