Order online before or onboard

I learned this the hard way on our first cruise. While underway, we tried booking some excursions, spa, etc only to find out they what we wanted was booked and that was after spending a lot of time standing in line. Now, we always book what we want 1-2 months (excursions, shows, meals, etc) before embarkation. Once onboard, the only thing we have to decide is what we want to eat! No more lines for us.

Is it cheaper and more economical to order things like spa treatments and beverage packages online before cruise or onboard ship? I am sailing on Freedom March 12, 2017 and this is only my 2nd time cruising and 1st time with RCCL. Any input is appreciated.

Generally speaking, yes. Drink packages and Internet are discounted online. You can also get a decent discount for the spa if you book services on embarkation day.

Oddly enough, I don't think there's any compelling reason (financially) to book a spa treatment in advance.  

If you are dead set on having a certain treatment on a specific day and time, fine, but as others mentioned, onboard discounts usually beat what's on the site.

Oddly enough, I don't think there's any compelling reason (financially) to book a spa treatment in advance.

If you are dead set on having a certain treatment on a specific day and time, fine, but as others mentioned, onboard discounts usually beat what's on the site.

I was able to book a couple massage on embarkation day online at 30% off. That was compelling enough for me to book online.

Was that during the 30% off sale a few months ago?

Not sure, but the discount was only for embarkation day.

I do know some other cruise lines post all of their sale prices in advance for online booking, and I think this is the direction Royal will go as it will increase online bookings and learn the need for onboard sales and what not.

I do agree if there's no discount offered, is not worth booking in advance as you'll likely benefit from an onboard sale or port day special.

Guest toodle68

Just to add another reason to book online. If you book everything on day one of boarding, you end up coming away with a huge single bill..  Booking things over many months, for me anyway, takes all the financial 'stress' of a vacation out the picture.

It does not feel like we are actually spending a boat load of money when we pay deposit one month, a shore excursion the next, internet the month after, another shore excursion, a massage the month after that, middle part of the cruise payment etc etc..  

I just find that approach more relaxing..

• 2 weeks later...