Celebrating Special Occasions

So, in the excitement of booking my July 2022 trip on Voyager, I didn't find anywhere to mention that we're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.  I know that, in Matt's "15 Little Things that Make a Big Difference" video, he mentions "putting it on your reservation" (along with mentioning it to any crew member you encounter.)  I totally understand that nothing is guaranteed, but it could hopefully be a fun thing if something comes of it.  And my wife would be really surprised, too (solidifying the decision she made 25 years ago!)

My question is: is there a way to add this info to my existing reservation?  Is it worth it?

I remember putting it in somewhere online for my 20th anniversary, but that was 2017. I will be celebrating my 50th BD on my 51st in June (got lift and shift from last June) 

Guess I should go hunt for it. 

Celebrations can be noted along with food allergies, special equipment (Cpap), etc.  We cruised in November on our 42nd anniversary and our room attendant left us a nice note along with 2 towel swans kissing to create a heart on our bed.  Nothing else happened.  In April we cruised while celebrating two birthdays (our son and our nephew).  It was noted on our paperwork but we had to ask the waiter in the MDR to acknowledge them.  He brought each of them a piece of chocolate cake with a candle and a few of the waiters sang.  That’s it.  There are decorations you can purchase in the cruise planner but I have never done that so have no idea who would hang them in the room.

I think if you are celebrating something you pretty much have to make your own celebration.  Perhaps those lucky enough to travel Star class with a genie 🧞‍♂️ will have much better luck with special occasion recognitions?

9 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Celebrations can be noted along with food allergies, special equipment (Cpap), etc.  We cruised in November on our 42nd anniversary and our room attendant left us a nice note along with 2 towel swans kissing to create a heart on our bed.  Nothing else happened.  In April we cruised while celebrating two birthdays (our son and our nephew).  It was noted on our paperwork but we had to ask the waiter in the MDR to acknowledge them.  He brought each of them a piece of chocolate cake with a candle and a few of the waiters sang.  That’s it.  There are decorations you can purchase in the cruise planner but I have never done that so have no idea who would hang them in the room.

I think if you are celebrating something you pretty much have to make your own celebration.  Perhaps those lucky enough to travel Star class with a genie 🧞‍♂️ will have much better luck with special occasion recognitions?

I'm a CPAP users, too.  But, not gonna take 'em on the cruise.  Too much stuff to carry already.

My wife is too but hers was recalled over a year ago.  Still nada, zip, nutt'in.  I got mine back in a couple months.

We have sailed multiple times during a birthday or anniversary.  Mixed results at best but we are cruising so not really an issue.

Our Oasis cruise in October was during my birthday and we went to Izumi hibachi.  My wife let the waiter and chef know it was my birthday.  They assured her they would make it special but nothing happened. 

During an anniversary our travel agent sent us a gift of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne.  But we never got that either.  When I asked about it, Royal apologized and gave us a $25 onboard credit.

During another birthday sailing, my wife received a cake and birthday song (twice), and multiple free drinks.  The room attendant made a special cake towel too.

If you use a travel agent, you might want to let them know about a special occasion. 

Matt covered this topic in passing on one of his wonderful vlogs on YouTube.  Unfortunately, I have watched too many for me to remember which one.  If I do, I will come back and post the link.  

In short, Matt says that while there is no harm in mentioning a special occasion, you may be surprised if you do.  (Or words to that effect)

As has been stated by many posters, and having sailed for many birthdays and anaversaies.  Best not to expect anything you are not paying for with the exception of a special towel animal from your room attendant. 

Although I have had good luck when in a specialty restaurant on the actual celebration date in having them put my dessert on a larger plate and writing Happy ,,,,,, in chocolate syrup on the plate to go with my dessert