Can you switch a sailing that is paid in full to a different date?

Last month my husband and I are booked a paid in full sailing next month to the Bahamas. my doctor has just informed me that, since we are trying to get pregnant I can't got on a cruise there because of the Zika virus.  I know we are in 50% pentalty for the next few days if we cancel but we are trying to find another option. Does anyone know what the policy/charges are to change a cruise to a different date on RC?

Putting off a cruise for a kid, though...that's just wrong

We have been trying for over seven months. If we go to an area that is infected with the Zika virus we can't try while we are there or for the next six months upon returning. I don't want to have to stop trying because I went on a vacation, especially since we are hopeful that a vacation will be the lucky time . Ask anyone who has had infertility issues - the waiting game is horrible. We're not that young anymore and we are ready for a family. I shouldn't have to sacrifice starting a family because I need a vacation.

I don't know how far out you are trying to delay the cruise is the question.

You cant cruise while trying to get pregnant, you prob wont want to cruise while your pregnant and then your prob not going to want to cruise with a newborn?!

So we are talking years down the road, or you simply want to change the cruise to a different location without the Zika warning for right now?

Also, Zika news has been widespread for awhile now and it sounds like you have been trying for awhile to get pregnant, so it may have been something to look into when booking/planning your cruise initially.

That being said, Royal is pretty on top of the  Zika issue and take it serious so you may be able to get them to help you change your booking.....all you can do is ask/try at this point. And do it ASAP, so if they say no, at least you don't leave everything.

I don't know how far out you are trying to delay the cruise is the question.   - We are just trying to move the cruise to an April sailing to Bermuda - Zika isn't an issue there.

You cant cruise while trying to get pregnant, you prob wont want to cruise while your pregnant and then your prob not going to want to cruise with a newborn?! - there is no justification for saying you can't try to get pregnant while cruising. Women who are pregnant cruise all the time - you just aren't allowed to cruise after you reach 24 weeks of pregnancy. For most cruise lines your child has to be at least six months before they are allowed to sail - some require children to be older than six months.

So we are talking years down the road, or you simply want to change the cruise to a different location without the Zika warning for right now? - See above.

Also, Zika news has been widespread for awhile now and it sounds like you have been trying for awhile to get pregnant, so it may have been something to look into when booking/planning your cruise initially. - We booked the cruise with some friends last minute in December. As we live in New England and Zika hasn't really been in the news as of late it wasn't something that entered our minds when booking. Also, neither the cruise line or the TA we booked with mentioned anything about it (which, as i've worked at a Cruise agency before, they are supposed to notify you of health notifications that have come up for the area - they did not.)

That being said, Royal is pretty on top of the  Zika issue and take it serious so you may be able to get them to help you change your booking.....all you can do is ask/try at this point. And do it ASAP, so if they say no, at least you don't leave everything. - we contacted our TA tuesday so they could contact the cruiseline. I even had my doctor fax over a note confirming we are trying to get pregnant so they will not allow me to go to an area with the Zika virus. We are waiting on the cruiseline now - our TA thinks we should hear back by friday and we have until the 29th to cancel (after that we would lose 75% vs the 50% right now). I'm hopefully that RC will let us do it - the bermuda cruise is more expensive so I'm hoping they will look at that as a benefit.

I was implying that YOU wouldn't want to cruise while pregnant if you were not even wanting to cruise while you were trying to get pregnant. Not that people can't or don't.

Sorry if my response wasn't clear, but neither was your original post I guess.

If your original statement had  said looking to change BUT for the same date, just different location....then it would have been more clear.

And just for the record...you can go wherever you want..its just a risk. But there are risks for everything, anywhere you travel. Or at home for that matter.

Oh, and the real answer to your question is no, not after the final payment date.

I was implying that YOU wouldn't want to cruise while pregnant if you were not even wanting to cruise while you were trying to get pregnant. Not that people can't or don't. - I didn't say i couldn't or did want to cruise, just that I couldn't cruise to area where the Zika virus is prevelant, such as the bahamas :).

Sorry if my response wasn't clear, but neither was your original post I guess.

If your original statement had  said looking to change BUT for the same date, just different location....then it would have been more clear.

My original Question : Does anyone know what the policy/charges are to change a cruise to a different date on RC? Yes i should have said different date AND different location. I guess I just assumed that if i had already said we couldn't go to the Bahamas that people would realize i was asking about moving to a sail on a different date with a different destination.

• 1 month later...

Update: They did let us switch no problem ( within a few days of the original post). We are now booked on the 29APR2017 Bermuda/Boston Cruise. We had to pay the additional cruise fare but thats to be expected as its a more expensive cruise.

I did have my doctor fax a note to my TA saying that I wasn't allowed to travel in that area because we are trying to to get pregnant and the Zika virus is active there.