Watersides while in Alaska?

There are no Royal Caribbean ships with waterslides that visit Alaska.  As far as pools, I don't know that I've ever been in a heated pool  on a cruise ship (or I'm just a big baby and they all feel cold to me, lol).  That's not to say that I don't use the pools, but they  never feel heated to me.

6 hours ago, Jessi Patterson said:

Does anyone know if the ships that go to Alaska have temperature controlled pools or waterslide areas? 

The 4 Royal ships that go to Alaska (Quantum, Ovation, Radiance, and Serenade) do not have waterslides. All 4 have fully enclosed solarium pools that can be used while in Alaska. 

If you're on Quantum or Ovation, it looks like there are three pool areas - the covered, adults only Solarium, a covered family pool, and an uncovered family pool. The covered one technically has a sliding roof and can open and close, but with the temperatures and rain I wouldn't be surprised if it stays mostly covered. Not sure what the water temperature is like, but I imagine it's warmer in the covered areas simply because the water isn't making contact with the cold air. It looks like there are also lots of hot tubs in all the areas.

We did our Alaska cruise on the Radiance ots in late August. I remember swimming in the pool. It was a warmish day but don't think the water was heated. Full discloser, from cold New Hampshire so cold water to me is waaayyy different than for someone from Florida. Flowriders will be running if outside temp is above 50 degrees.

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

The waterslide on Radiance and Serenade is a kiddy slide, best used for children under maybe 10 years old at the most.

Mine are a bit older than that... (They will be 15 and 17 by then)  But if there are no swimming options they will live. lol

I just wasn't sure if one ship would have better for swimming options than the others.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Jessi Patterson said:

Mine are a bit older than that... (They will be 15 and 17 by then)  But if there are no swimming options they will live. lol

I just wasn't sure if one ship would have better for swimming options than the others.

Thanks!

I have seen in past Cruise Compasses that the Solarium has family hours if the temperature going to be under 60 degrees (I'm assuming they mean the daily high). It was also noted that hot tubs are still adults only in the Solarium though. 

We're bringing our swim suits in a few weeks - my 10 and 13 year olds are looking forward to saying they swam in Alaska. 

1 hour ago, Jessi Patterson said:

Thanks!

My understanding is that the Quantum class ships were designed with an indoor pool for the purpose of offering pool options for Alaska cruises.  All Quantum class ships do in fact have a water slide, just not much of a thrill slide as it is for younger children.  If you sail out of Seattle during the summer, there is no reason that you cannot use the outdoor pool on embarkation day.  The water will be chilly but it does get hot in Seattle in the summer.

2 hours ago, anxiouscruiser said:

still a slide though and one of the main reasons why i chose that ship for my family.

I just want it to be clear it's nothing like the Perfect Storm water slides you find on other ships.

• 6 months later...