Jump to content

Duck, Duck, Cruise


Recommended Posts

I tried searching the posts for cruising duck posts and found very little mention, so I am starting a thread.

We cruise on the Ovation on June 10th.  Just bought a pack of ducks and tags off of Amazon.  We think this is a cute activity and tradition to keep going especially now that cruising is nearing full force!  Help me get Royal Caribbean Cruising Ducks going!

BTW-any comments, posts, suggestions, etc. are welcome since this is our first time hiding ducks (though we have found a few in the past). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

I tried searching the posts for cruising duck posts and found very little mention, so I am starting a thread.

We cruise on the Ovation on June 10th.  Just bought a pack of ducks and tags off of Amazon.  We think this is a cute activity and tradition to keep going especially now that cruising is nearing full force!  Help me get Royal Caribbean Cruising Ducks going!

BTW-any comments, posts, suggestions, etc. are welcome since this is our first time hiding ducks (though we have found a few in the past). 

I may be wrong, but I think this is a FB-based phenomenon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I may be wrong, but I think this is a FB-based phenomenon.

Although the duck game purportedly started sometime in 2015, it became popular when an 11-year old girl, Abby Davis, and her father created a facebook page devoted to the duck game. 

Anyways, this is something that my 9 year-old would get a kick out of since he has never cruised before.  My teenager has cruised several times and has found a handful of ducks in the past.  

Kids or adults, I think this is a fun thing to do that brings smiles to people to discover the hidden ducks.  What's better than paying forward smiles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got our ducks and tags this morning! In retrospect, I think we could have made the little tags ourselves.

A few tips:

1. If you decide to do ducks, don't go overboard.  I think I ordered 50 ducks and 50 tags but will only take about one-third of that to avoid using up luggage space.

2. Make it a family affair.  So much time between now and cruising, but filling out those little tags and choosing the ducks to hide take a little bit of time.  Have your children write out the tags.

3. Take this opportunity to really explore the deck maps on your ship.  Watch YouTubes.  Get an idea of where you want to hide the ducks! Remember, no hiding ducks in the pools, jacuzzis, shops, or anywhere else that might be a no-no.  Use common sense.

4. Some of these tags have lots of blanks to fill in information.  Don't over share.  If you are having your children fill out the tags, instruct them not to over identify themselves.  In this day and age of social media and public information availability, why share full names and other identifiers with strangers?  Fun doesn't mean ignoring safety and common sense.

One a side note, I guess the duck thing isn't as big of a deal as I make it out to be.  Not very many followers/commenters for this thread.  I apologize for my excitement with these ducking ducks.😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the duck thing is a cute idea especially for kids; however, with all the extra cleaning and sanitizing that they are doing now they may get rid of them before they could be found.  Not sure if this is the case or not but something to keep in mind.  I would hate to spend the money and time and they just get tossed by the cleaning crew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

I think the duck thing is a cute idea especially for kids; however, with all the extra cleaning and sanitizing that they are doing now they may get rid of them before they could be found.  Not sure if this is the case or not but something to keep in mind.  I would hate to spend the money and time and they just get tossed by the cleaning crew.

Been watching plenty of YouTubes where people are hiding and finding ducks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

Our 2 1/2 year old daughter had a blast duck hunting on Wonder - I began to wonder if there were more ducks than passengers onboard at one point. 🤣

 

This was the final haul once we got home - planning on taking some to hide on our next cruise in September.

PXL_20220312_040415801.jpg

This makes me smile!  Did any have tags/notes attached?  I might do some for our Harmony cruise as the grands will be with us (even though they are 14 & 16) I think they would get a kick out of hiding them.  I may ask them before ordering any. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

One a side note, I guess the duck thing isn't as big of a deal as I make it out to be.  Not very many followers/commenters for this thread.  I apologize for my excitement with these ducking ducks.😆

I love hiding ducks. I hid about 30 on  my last cruise and have 50 to hide on my next one.  It is a big deal to those of us who participate 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a dozen ducks to take and hide on my Allure cruise in September.  Bought them on Amazon and plan to have my grandkids create some tags for them.  I am not on any social media sites so can’t post pictures on Facebook or Instagram as a few tags have suggested when I found ducks on Oasis in November.  I just want to do this because it’s fun!   Oh…and I rehide  what I find. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been cruising since I was a little kid (I'm in my 30s now), and this duck thing is all new to me! I found my first (and only) duck on my Mariner sailing last month and thought it was absolutely adorable! It was just me and my husband on that sailing (left the kids at home), so we re-hid the duck, but I'm definitely going to be more vigilant with my duck hunting on our family cruise on Oasis next month!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, whitsmom said:

This makes me smile!  Did any have tags/notes attached?  I might do some for our Harmony cruise as the grands will be with us (even though they are 14 & 16) I think they would get a kick out of hiding them.  I may ask them before ordering any. 

Yes, they all had a tag or sticker telling who hid them / where they were from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another tip: After watching YouTube videos of recent sailings, it appears that many arcades on many ships have a claw machine with ducks.  The duck claw machines are set up for higher win ratio than most claw machines.  If you forget to pre-pack ducks, and happen to drop a dollar or two and get a duck out of a claw machine, hide it! 😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I found my first duck on a cruise in March, by accident.  I did not even know about people hiding them.  So this month I hid some.  The staff even helped me with suggested locations, and one crew member told me that a gentleman found a duck and was thrilled. It was fun.  I plan to hide more on next cruise this summer.  Harmless and fun.   Adults seem to love it  as much as children.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 1:15 PM, GKMCruising said:

Our 2 1/2 year old daughter had a blast duck hunting on Wonder - I began to wonder if there were more ducks than passengers onboard at one point. 🤣

 

This was the final haul once we got home - planning on taking some to hide on our next cruise in September.

PXL_20220312_040415801.jpg

I never knew that there was a wonder woman duck 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

After cruising for 20+ years I heard about the duck hiding in a couple of groups I am in.  We are taking our first cruise after a three year hiatus so I am ready to do it all! 

I bought 40 teeny tiny ducks with tags and am ready to set sail in 38 days.  I will say that if we enjoy this as much as I hope we will, next time I will get a template to print the tags instead of filling out 40 little forms.  There are lots of templates you can print at home and others that will do the work for you and then just mail/email the tags.  It depends on how much time or $ you want to invest in the game.  In my case, it is less than $20 total.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...