Journey Begins On May 11th

Our journey to Seattle begins on Wednesday, the 11th.  We leave here, Oxford, AL, to go to Senoia, GA., where we are going to spend the night with my oldest and her family.  Then she's going to get up early with us and take us to the Atlanta Airport on the 12th.  Our flight leaves at 6:15 AM, Southwest.  So, we're going to try to be there by about 5:00 AM.  We have TSA Pre-Check so, I don't see any need to be the full 2 hours early.  My daughter is going to just drop us off at the curb and take our car back to her place and then come and pick us up when we return.

Makes me think of a question.  Does anybody know/have an idea how Southwest picks what boarding number you get, we purchased the "Early Bird" boarding scam thingy, which is supposed to put you ahead of those that didn't purchase it, apparently.  I haven't flown in decades, this is going against the grain for me.  I hate flying, TSA, and for the most part crowds of strangers.  

We're all packed and ready to go except for all the last few days of stuff like COVID pre-test, ArriveCan, Southwest Check-in (print boarding pass).  We've watched many videos on TSA Pre-Check, which doesn't guarantee anything (of course not, it's our government, after all), all carry-on liquids meet the 3-1-1, all my spare/extra device/camera batteries are in my carry-on bag and discharged (discharged not required but recommended, and I agree).   

We've been emailing back and forth with our Genie and all looks well there.  Still waiting on instructions for arrival at Pier 91.  On the 12th we have a 50 minute layover and plane change in Phoenix, I hope we are on time and can get to the next gate in time.  It's still Southwest so it shouldn't be much of a problem, as far as distance to the connecting gate, that is.  If you're old, get the hell out of my way, LOL, I'm 70.  Our second stop is in Oakland but we don't change planes.  BTW, I got some pills from my Dr., because I'm not a good flyer, claustrophobic and vertigo.  I'm either going to be sleeping or the funniest guy on the plane.  I'm a happy drunk, when I drink.     

In Seattle, we've got reservations at the Sea-Tac Crown Plaza hotel on the night of the 12th and on the morning of the 13th we have reservations for SeattleExpress shuttle to take us to Pier 91 by no later than 11:00 AM, where we will meet up with our Genie, Rahul.  

So, now what do I/we do for the next 8 or 9 days?  I guess watch reruns of NCIS, Law & Order SVU, COPS, ....................

I'M SO READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Southwest has a unique boarding system. Most people log in on the website exactly 24 hours before the flight and check in. They receive a boarding number between A16 and D60.

Since you purchased the priority boarding,  your number should be between A1 and A15.

You'll be one of the first people on board. Grab any open seat you like.

Oh. And another thing. Passengers that came in on that plane and will be departing on the same aircraft will already be on board.

20 minutes ago, steverk said:

Southwest has a unique boarding system. Most people log in on the website exactly 24 hours before the flight and check in. They receive a boarding number between A16 and D60.

Since you purchased the priority boarding,  your number should be between A1 and A15.

You'll be one of the first people on board. Grab any open seat you like.

Oh. And another thing. Passengers that came in on that plane and will be departing on the same aircraft will already be on board.

Thanks for the come back and help.  But, I was wondering how they assign that number between A1 - A15.  First come - First serve? We booked as soon as they opened up the availability of the flight, literally.  I'm hoping/think we should be getting around A1 or do they use some super secret system.  If our flight leaves at 6:15 AM, I'm thinking it isn't a continuation of a flight, the aircraft, probably, has been there all night.  But, that's just a guess on my part.  When I retired from the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport, if a plane was there at 6:00 in the morning, it was there all night.  Yes, I know, this isn't FLL and it isn't 2005.

8 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

Thanks for the come back and help.  But, I was wondering how they assign that number between A1 - A15.  First come - First serve? We booked as soon as they opened up the availability of the flight, literally.  I'm hoping/think we should be getting around A1 or do they use some super secret system.  If our flight leaves at 6:15 AM, I'm thinking it isn't a continuation of a flight, the aircraft, probably, has been there all night.  But, that's just a guess on my part.  When I retired from the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport, if a plan was there at 6:00 in the morning, it was there all night.  Yes, I know, this isn't FLL and it isn't 2005.

Sorry, but I've always been too cheap to pay for the boarding slot.

Regardless of the number, being one of the first on board will guarantee you a good seat.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Early Bird just puts you in line behind all the frequent flyers and behind all the others that already bought Early Bird.

If you really want early boarding, just got to the gate agent and you can upgrade to A1-15 if any are available

I guess I'll find out what number we have on Tuesday morning, the 10th when we get automatically checked in and then I can print my boarding pass.  

Early bird are assigned A16 through A60. They automatically assign you your spot so you don't have to worry about checking in exactly 24 hours ahead when check in opens. I don't believe they will sell anymore early bird seats once the A group is filled, but not sure. I've always used early bird for my travel and the highest number I've had was in the A50s. Enjoy your cruise, we're on Ovation June 17th.

21 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

Early bird are assigned A16 through A60. They automatically assign you your spot so you don't have to worry about checking in exactly 24 hours ahead when check in opens. I don't believe they will sell anymore early bird seats once the A group is filled, but not sure. I've always used early bird for my travel and the highest number I've had was in the A50s. Enjoy your cruise, we're on Ovation June 17th.

I've been in B group with early bird before. But that may have been due to having to switch to that flight late in the game when our original flight was removed from the schedule

9 hours ago, 10-42 said:

I guess I'll find out what number we have on Tuesday morning, the 10th when we get automatically checked in and then I can print my boarding pass.  

@10-42 We usually use Southwest when we fly.  Same thing everyone else said about the Early Bird, you'll get a number on your ticket and then line up accordingly when they start boarding.  The numbers have nothing to do with where you sit, just how soon you get on the plane.  I like that about Southwest, you can pick your own seat.  

Enjoy your cruise!  We head out on the 15th!