Specialty Dining Question.

jreese

We are experienced cruisers, but was surprised by an advanced specialty dining charge after booking. The price listed was the discounted amount but a $15 gratuity charge was added. In the past this was not automatically done but something you could add after the meal. Is this a new post-covid practice? 

Unsure of the actual question conditions.

Was the specialty dining purchased pre cruise in the planned and then the added a gratuity onboard?

Or

Was the dining purchased for the advertised price and then the gratuity ie 18% also charged.

The 2nd description is what I believe is now done as standard practice.

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

Unsure of the actual question conditions.

Was the specialty dining purchased pre cruise in the planned and then the added a gratuity onboard?

Or

Was the dining purchased for the advertised price and then the gratuity ie 18% also charged.

The 2nd description is what I believe is now done as standard practice.

Pre-cruise purchase and I don't like this practice. We pay mandatory gratuities daily and we used to have the option to give additional based on actual service.

1 hour ago, jreese said:

Pre-cruise purchase and I don't like this practice. We pay mandatory gratuities daily and we used to have the option to give additional based on actual service.

Early on between the different versions of the Cruise Planner the end price was the same. Example the old version of the Cruise Planner might have shown the restaurant for $59 with nothing additional. While the new version showed $50 then at checkout added $9 for the 18% gratuity/service charge. Still the same price in the, just a lower advertised price at first. I'll add many customers got tricked when their booking was migrated over to the new version. Suddenly dining bookings went down in advertised cost. However, after they were canceled and booked again the new 18% gratuity/service charge was discovered.

If the concern is being able to add an additional gratuity post meal. You'll be presented with a $0 check with a line to provide additional gratuity.

2 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Early on between the different versions of the Cruise Planner the end price was the same. Example the old version of the Cruise Planner might have shown the restaurant for $59 with nothing additional. While the new version showed $50 then at checkout added $9 for the 18% gratuity/service charge. Still the same price in the, just a lower advertised price at first. I'll add many customers got tricked when their booking was migrated over to the new version. Suddenly dining bookings went down in advertised cost. However, after they were canceled and booked again the new 18% gratuity/service charge was discovered.

If the concern is being able to add an additional gratuity post meal. You'll be presented with a $0 check with a line to provide additional gratuity.

The concern is changing the tip from optional based on service quality verses a mandatory tip amount. It should be listed as the cost, not hidden in the promotional cost then added at checkout.

6 hours ago, jreese said:

The mandatory gratuities (which technically aren't mandatory) do not include the waitstaff in specialty dining.  As others have pointed out, you've always paid gratuities to them when purchasing specialty dining, it's just now being shown as a separate line item.  You can also still tip more after eating if you desire.

10 hours ago, jreese said:

The concern is changing the tip from optional based on service quality verses a mandatory tip amount. It should be listed as the cost, not hidden in the promotional cost then added at checkout.

When dining at a specialty onboard it is automatically added as well if not pre-purchased. Same way buying a beverage onboard has a gratuity/service charge automatically added or a beverage package purchased in advance having it added.

My feeling is the change with the new Cruise Planner adding a gratuity/service charge is bringing it more in line with the onboard charging style. Before it was a mystery how much the server might have gotten, if anything, buying in advance. Now it is at least implied the server should get the gratuity/service charge.